• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

is lasius niger a good beginner species?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SardineBoy6.0 - Posted March 13 2021 - 1:09 PM

SardineBoy6.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

hi everyone,

I know this sounds like a dumb question but a while back my tetramorium queen died. One of my ant keeping friends said if they had an extra colony they could give it to me. Just yesterday they said they had an available lasius niger queen. He said to answer quick before it is taken. I did some research and everyone says it is a good beginner species but I thought I would check here just in case.

oops i posted it twice lol

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2021 - 1:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,442 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They are probably the best beginner species, but don’t order one illegally if you live in North America. If your friend found it here, it’s probably not Lasius niger.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline SardineBoy6.0 - Posted March 13 2021 - 1:17 PM

SardineBoy6.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

ok good to know

#4 Offline Dino - Posted March 13 2021 - 1:25 PM

Dino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

I don't know if this helps but I have been taking care of a Lasius niger colony for about 3 months now and they have been quite easy to take care of I'm a beginner myself so i would recommend them as a beginner species. Hope this helps!

Ants I'm keeping 

Lasius niger 15-20 workers

Journal

#5 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 13 2021 - 4:39 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I had lasius niger for 3 years as my first colony.
They are very hard to kill if you have some understanding of the basics which I barely had back then.
One thing that's cool about them is that they are not picky about food.
If you throw a piece of chicken or egg to a colony they'll likely love it.
Any insect with wings will be their favorite.
Be careful with feeding liquids tho they drown very easily.
Fruits are safe but sugar water in a bottle cap is a death trap. I'd offer sugar water in a test tube so they can drink off the cotton.
  • Chickalo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users