• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole megacephala?

identification

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted February 18 2021 - 7:50 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Found near Miami Florida yesterday. There's about five eggs already.

I know they're Pheidole but was wondering if I could get an exact ID with these photos, and whether they're polygynous or not? If not then I'll move them to separate test-tube setups.

I probably won't be able to get better photos unfortunately, this phone camera is the best I have.

Attached Images

• IMG_2460.PNG
  • IMG_2461.PNG
  • IMG_2462.PNG
  • IMG_2463.PNG

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 18 2021 - 8:08 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Looks like it to me.

• Manitobant likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted February 18 2021 - 8:26 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Looks like it to me.

Thanks, so just to confirm I shouldn't have problems with keeping them all together?

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 18 2021 - 8:27 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

No, you shouldn't have any problems. This species is known to have issues when founded with just queens, such as just not producing, or producing alates--just be warned.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted February 18 2021 - 8:41 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

What do you mean, like they're usually taken into mature colonies? Hopefully I have no issues but I'll see how it goes.

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 18 2021 - 8:48 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

https://www.formicul...rnal#entry48383

Yes, from what I understand, this species usually expands by budding, or the queens enter new nests. This is not to say it isn't possible, it most likely is, but all successful Ph. megacephala Journals I have see invovled taking a small portion of the colony, that has queens, and maybe adding more.

#7 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted February 19 2021 - 2:37 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

A little discouraging but interesting, I guess theoretically I could add as many queens to them if they are successful.

I don't think this is the budding type though, I found them after a big nuptial flight and didn't see any colonies nearby. I could be wrong though. 

• NickAnter likes this

#8 Offline BADANT - Posted February 19 2021 - 8:18 AM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX
In a case like this, could he go back to where he caught them, identify a nest of that species and gather some workers. Or do the queens have to be added to an existing colony?
I’ll read the journals later, just looking for a an answer while I am out of the house for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 19 2021 - 8:45 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
If they flew in a nuptial flight i see no reason why they can’t found by themselves.
  • Aaron567 and TennesseeAnts like this

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 19 2021 - 12:55 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Yeah, I'm not too well versed in their biology, and it could well vary based upon geography.

#11 Offline Otter - Posted February 19 2021 - 2:39 PM

Otter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston

This is absolutely not pheidole megacephala. Judging on the looks of these queens, they are probably an asian species maybe indica. This is in no way an accurate ID, its just a general shape I've noticed asian pheidole species. 

• DDD101DDD likes this

Check out my Youtube! 
https://www.youtube....ohUZtcyttLctSwA

I also have an Antstagram
https://www.instagra...otters_inverts/

#12 Offline Aaron567 - Posted February 19 2021 - 2:43 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

I don't think this is P. megacephala. Weirdly enough it looks like it could be something completely new to Florida; notice how the heads of these queens are proportionately larger than the heads of P. megacephala and the posterior margin of the head (the back edge of the head) is extremely concaved whereas in megacephala it's more of a straight or very slightly concave line. I'm pretty sure there is no Pheidole known from Florida that looks like this.

Here's a comparison with the typical megacephala that is found throughout the urban parts of Florida's peninsula.

4V9Hpih.png

jVslk1J.png

Hopefully someone can confirm my suspicion so that I know I'm not going crazy. If this turns out to be something new then it would be the second new Pheidole introduction discovered in only a few months, and coincidentally also in Miami. To be clear, this would be a new exotic species, not a new native species. I see your location says Oklahoma, so I assume you're just visiting Miami? Do you have any plans on what you're going to do with these queens? Also, how many millimeters long are they?

• YsTheAnt, CheetoLord02 and DDD101DDD like this

#13 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 19 2021 - 2:53 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

I don't think this is P. megacephala. Weirdly enough it looks like it could be something completely new to Florida; notice how the heads of these queens are proportionately larger than the heads of P. megacephala and the posterior margin of the head (the back edge of the head) is extremely concaved whereas in megacephala it's more of a straight or very slightly concave line. I'm pretty sure there is no Pheidole known from Florida that looks like this.

Here's a comparison with the typical megacephala that is found throughout the urban parts of Florida's peninsula.
4V9Hpih.png
jVslk1J.png

Hopefully someone can confirm my suspicion so that I know I'm not going crazy. If this turns out to be something new then it would be the second new Pheidole introduction discovered in only a few months, and coincidentally also in Miami. To be clear, this would be a new exotic species, not a new native species. I see your location says Oklahoma, so I assume you're just visiting Miami? Do you have any plans on what you're going to do with these queens? Also, how many millimeters long are they?

could it be pheidole indica? They’re an invasive recorded in the Caribbean, and Caribbean species have found their way to florida, like plagiolepis alluaudi. They’re also polygynous and the concave head seems present in them. also, i would encourage OP to kill one of the queens and preserve it, maybe send it to the university of florida ant lab.

Edited by Manitobant, February 19 2021 - 3:01 PM.

#14 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 19 2021 - 2:58 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
pheidole indica queens. they look strikingly similar.

Pheidole indica queens

#15 Offline Aaron567 - Posted February 19 2021 - 3:12 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

could it be pheidole indica? They’re an invasive recorded in the Caribbean, and Caribbean species have found their way to florida, like plagiolepis alluaudi. They’re also polygynous and the concave head seems present in them. also, i would encourage OP to kill one of the queens and preserve it, maybe send it to the university of florida ant lab.

P. indica is the first thing that came to my mind. One could probably expect indica to show up in Florida any year now given their current status in many Caribbean islands, so it wouldn't be surprising. I agree that the best thing to do would be to get it identified and documented by experts but would be even better to raise them to workers to have that caste as well. A queen of an unknown small Pheidole species was found in Miami a few months ago and we got the person to send the queen in to have it identified, they emailed back saying they can't ID the species without major workers.

So, in the event that OP isn't bringing them back to Oklahoma, maybe these live queens could be sent to a Floridian for them to get them to rear major workers?

Edited by Aaron567, February 19 2021 - 4:52 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and CheetoLord02 like this

#16 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted February 19 2021 - 3:17 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Yes. If they are new to the state, I would suggest that, in the event of a queen (or worker, later on) death, that you preserve a specimen and/or send some specimens into a lab or database. This could be a very important first sighting if there truly is a new population of an invasive species.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#17 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 19 2021 - 4:59 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Ph. indica could be a possibility. They are recorded in Cali, so I would assume they would have no problem invading Florida.

#18 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 19 2021 - 5:11 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I also agree with Ph. indica. I knew there was something wrong, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I'm not great with Asian Pheidole, lol.

#19 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted February 19 2021 - 8:03 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

4V9Hpih.png

jVslk1J.png

Wow I wasn't expecting that haha. I don't have a way of accurately measuring them sadly, right now I'd guess maybe 6 - 8 mm, but I'll try to get a better measurement tomorrow when I have the time. And yes I was visiting Florida to escape the huge freeze over we had last week, but I'm not there anymore so I can't go back to the place I caught them, although I could try finding it on a map if that's any use.

If a major worker sample is needed to identify them, I think it would make the most sense to raise them until there are workers and majors, (or just workers) then I could send the whole colony to someone to identify them. I probably won't end up keeping them for a long time anyway, but I think it'd be a shame to have to kill them.

Right now I'm keeping them at 82 degrees, and they each have their own little cluster of eggs. Hopefully that's a sign they're all fertile.

Edited by ArmyAntz, February 19 2021 - 8:04 PM.

#20 Offline Aaron567 - Posted February 19 2021 - 11:07 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Wow I wasn't expecting that haha. I don't have a way of accurately measuring them sadly, right now I'd guess maybe 6 - 8 mm, but I'll try to get a better measurement tomorrow when I have the time. And yes I was visiting Florida to escape the huge freeze over we had last week, but I'm not there anymore so I can't go back to the place I caught them, although I could try finding it on a map if that's any use.

If a major worker sample is needed to identify them, I think it would make the most sense to raise them until there are workers and majors, (or just workers) then I could send the whole colony to someone to identify them. I probably won't end up keeping them for a long time anyway, but I think it'd be a shame to have to kill them.

Right now I'm keeping them at 82 degrees, and they each have their own little cluster of eggs. Hopefully that's a sign they're all fertile.

Knowing their approximate location of collection would help a lot.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: identification

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users