• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking to get into my first colony, help buying ants? (CA)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Cwidmor - Posted February 17 2021 - 11:38 PM

Cwidmor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Near Los Angeles CA. I’ve been wanting to have an ant farm for a while and have been doing a lot of research. I’m looking to buy a queen and workers for any solenopsis variety BUT if possible (I’m not sure if legal though I know they have been found in California) i would love to find Wasmannia auropunctata . (I remember these little guys from a vacation to Hawaii they’re actually what got me interested in ants ) Hopefully I could get those but if not I’ll settle for any local solenopsis variety.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 18 2021 - 9:55 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Solenopsis invicta is illegal to keep in California, but the native solenopsis xyloni, which is very similar, is legal. I'm not sure about wasmannia but I'm pretty sure only invicta is illegal to keep.
  • Cwidmor likes this

#3 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 18 2021 - 12:06 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Solenopsis invicta is illegal to keep in California, but the native solenopsis xyloni, which is very similar, is legal. I'm not sure about wasmannia but I'm pretty sure only invicta is illegal to keep.

I think only invicta are illegal. also, has anybody seen wasmannia in california? they look very cool

• Cwidmor likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#4 Offline Cwidmor - Posted February 18 2021 - 2:42 PM

Cwidmor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I think only invicta are illegal. also, has anybody seen wasmannia in california? they look very cool

Thanks guys. Those little wasmania hurt !! And they’re so freaking tiny. I read online in a few posts that they’ve been found in Los Angeles county and Orange County but never found anything official saying this (I’ll post links)

https://www.ars.usda...ter-2003(M-3778).pdf

Says “found in Florida and possibly California “

http://entnemdept.uf...le_fire_ant.htm

“Populations have been found in Los Angeles county “

But officially on California.gov websites it says that it’s a A rate pest of high risk that HAS NOT been established in California ? So I don’t know if it could be found or not but I would love it. I remember on vacation they were CRAZY about those ants like they said it’s destroying Hawaii and has to be stopped at all costs report it if you see it never bring anything with you that can carry the ants etc. I even got to encounter them and hell do they hurt haha worst ant sting I ever had .

If anyone has any leads within an hour of Los Angeles that could sell me a starter setup for solenopsis OR could point me in the direction of trying to somehow get ahold of some wasmannia I would really appreciate it !

#5 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 18 2021 - 3:48 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Thanks guys. Those little wasmania hurt !! And they’re so freaking tiny. I read online in a few posts that they’ve been found in Los Angeles county and Orange County but never found anything official saying this (I’ll post links)

https://www.ars.usda...ter-2003(M-3778).pdf

Says “found in Florida and possibly California “

http://entnemdept.uf...le_fire_ant.htm

“Populations have been found in Los Angeles county “

But officially on California.gov websites it says that it’s a A rate pest of high risk that HAS NOT been established in California ? So I don’t know if it could be found or not but I would love it. I remember on vacation they were CRAZY about those ants like they said it’s destroying Hawaii and has to be stopped at all costs report it if you see it never bring anything with you that can carry the ants etc. I even got to encounter them and hell do they hurt haha worst ant sting I ever had .

If anyone has any leads within an hour of Los Angeles that could sell me a starter setup for solenopsis OR could point me in the direction of trying to somehow get ahold of some wasmannia I would really appreciate it !

oh that's pretty cool, although they might be found in small populations since it doesn't seem like anybody has caught them yet.

Ants I am keeping:

#6 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted February 18 2021 - 4:55 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

Pm sent

• Cwidmor likes this

#7 Online ANTdrew - Posted February 18 2021 - 5:42 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The absolute last thing California needs is another invasive ant species.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 18 2021 - 5:44 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

W. auropunctata are extremely rare in California. I think the closest looking thing is Pheidole navigans, which has the benefit of majors. Those are also very common too. In a couple months, flights will start, and it should be easy to get many of the urban/suburban species on a blacklight at night.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#9 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 18 2021 - 6:23 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

The absolute last thing California needs is another invasive ant species.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh yes. California the golden state, also known as the state of invasive and Amazing ants alike.

Ants I am keeping:

#10 Offline Cwidmor - Posted February 18 2021 - 8:10 PM

Cwidmor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

W. auropunctata are extremely rare in California. I think the closest looking thing is Pheidole navigans, which has the benefit of majors. Those are also very common too. In a couple months, flights will start, and it should be easy to get many of the urban/suburban species on a blacklight at night.

what do you mean about the black light

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 18 2021 - 8:50 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Its a UV light. For anting purposes, you would shine it on a vertical white sheet at night, and it then attracts flying queens.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#12 Offline Cwidmor - Posted February 19 2021 - 8:30 AM

Cwidmor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Its a UV light. For anting purposes, you would shine it on a vertical white sheet at night, and it then attracts flying queens.

Wow that’s useful thanks man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users