• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The double post glitch: how it happens and general information

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 11 2021 - 1:50 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
So I’ve been noticing the rise of double posts lately, and how it has affected formiculture. The double post glitch has been getting increasingly more common and drew should seriously try to patch it. The glitch happens when formiculture lags and refuses to load after submitting a post, and during this time, you are pretty much forced to hit the button again to send it. The glitch has been flooding out high quality posts with more than one post taking up the new posts tab, and is generally contributing to the decline of this forum. I really hope this gets fixed soon.
  • Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, MinigunL5 and Chickalo like this

#2 Offline TechAnt - Posted February 11 2021 - 1:52 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Wow, we posted topics about the same thing a minute apart...

: /

Edited by TechAnt, February 11 2021 - 1:54 PM.

• FeedTheAnts, Manitobant and Chickalo like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted February 11 2021 - 1:56 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I would say that is ironic given the topic.... but it's technically not

• Ants_Dakota likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline AleeGuy - Posted February 11 2021 - 2:13 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
According to another minor bugs, issues, glitches here and his response to them, looks like that it will be really complicated for him to fix it, obviously this website is not created by some company with thousands of programmers, software engineers, etc. to fix what it looks like a minor issue in a day. So, I'm sure that it won't get fixed anywhere soon.

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 11 2021 - 2:15 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

According to another minor bugs, issues, glitches here and his response to them, looks like that it will be really complicated for him to fix it, obviously this website is not created by some company with thousands of programmers, software engineers, etc. to fix what it looks like a minor issue in a day. So, I'm sure that it won't get fixed anywhere soon.

i mean its a big part of the current decline, especially when combined with unnecessary topics, so I'm hoping he gets on it soon, even if it takes a while.
  • AleeGuy likes this

#6 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted February 11 2021 - 2:23 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

It's been around for a long time. If it could have been fixed than it probably would have already. I've personally never made a double post because I don't press the button more than once. It is avoidable.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#7 Offline Zeiss - Posted February 11 2021 - 2:31 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley
i mean its a big part of the current decline, especially when combined with unnecessary topics, so I'm hoping he gets on it soon, even if it takes a while.

I wouldn't say someone clicking multiple times to post something is a big part of the "decline."  It's someone who doesn't know not to click things multiple times on a computer.

• Enderz, NickAnter, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this

#8 Offline Fatatoille - Posted February 11 2021 - 3:23 PM

Fatatoille

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK (England)
Do note, that with the increased frequency of newer members posting, those on the the younger end of the spectrum tend to be less patient and therefore will be pressing the post button more frequently and hence duplicate posts become more common, on top of the already frequent posts from the same users. While this is mildly irritating, I do just think this was a pre-existing issue that has been more noticeable in line with more members just making more posts.
  • DDD101DDD and Ants_Dakota like this

Prawn and Mayo sandwiches taste nice.

#9 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 11 2021 - 3:56 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
I mean I’ve never had this happen until recently. The forum literally lags and doesn’t load, its not just someone pressing the button multiple times normally.

Edited by Manitobant, February 11 2021 - 3:57 PM.

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 11 2021 - 4:23 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

User error!!!

That is the cause of the double/triple/quadruple posts!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#11 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 11 2021 - 6:34 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

User error!!!

also hyperspamming the post button

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#12 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 12 2021 - 6:02 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

User error!!!

also hyperspamming the post button

I don't think I've done it before surprisingly.

#13 Offline Chickalo - Posted February 12 2021 - 6:35 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Imagine if this ended up being a double post???  

I wonder how it proccesses the information, but I don't know much about coding.  It would interesting to see what in the code (or something else) causes this to happen  

シグナチャーです。예.

#14 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 12 2021 - 9:55 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Imagine if this ended up being a double post???  

I wonder how it proccesses the information, but I don't know much about coding.  It would interesting to see what in the code (or something else) causes this to happen  

I think its just when the internet goes weird and you click the post button multiple times because it won't post.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#15 Offline Enderz - Posted February 12 2021 - 10:38 AM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

What is the decline? I see no decline. 

• Reacker likes this

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#16 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 12 2021 - 10:45 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

You have been commenting and making claims like this on all posts like this. He means the decline in the quality of the forum due to drama and toxicity. Everyone but you seems to get that. At this point it just seems like you are trying to provoke everyone.

• Manitobant and DDD101DDD like this

#17 Offline Enderz - Posted February 12 2021 - 11:45 AM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

You have been commenting and making claims like this on all posts like this. He means the decline in the quality of the forum due to drama and toxicity. Everyone but you seems to get that. At this point it just seems like you are trying to provoke everyone.

There is no 'decline', I have no clue what you're talking about. New members making some dumb posts and vendayn going crazy doesn't really constitute a crisis on the forum. 

• Reacker likes this

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#18 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 12 2021 - 12:08 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

There is no 'decline', I have no clue what you're talking about. New members making some dumb posts and vendayn going crazy doesn't really constitute a crisis on the forum. 

There is more than just that. There have been a ton of exotic ant debates and AC debates going on for the last few months. Those are just some examples. Also, Vendayn was sort of crazy for the whole time I was on the forum, which was since 2018 I believe, so that's not new either.

• Manitobant likes this

#19 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 12 2021 - 12:13 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

there was literally a whole thread about it. Old timers are leaving, sh*tposts run rampant, kids are treating this place like a discord server and there has been an insane amount of drama overall. If that doesn't constitute at least somewhat of a decline, i don't know what to tell you.

#20 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 13 2021 - 5:52 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The forum lag (which is what causes the double posts) is because of the state the server is in right now while it's being worked on. It's not even in a data center right now.

For those of you who understand this sort of stuff, here is a big part of the reason for the lag lately.

gallery_2_137_7717.jpg

• Somethinghmm, cocdeshijie, AleeGuy and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users