• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Setups for Fungus Growers like Acromyrmex or Cyphomyrex

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Froggy - Posted February 11 2021 - 11:10 AM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

I'm planning on catching some fungus growers like Acromyrmex and Cyphomyrmex this year and I'm wondering what types of setups I should use to house them.

#2 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 11 2021 - 11:24 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

I'm planning on catching some fungus growers like Acromyrmex and Cyphomyrmex this year and I'm wondering what types of setups I should use to house them.

you can probably pm zty guy. he's taking a bit of a break, but if you PM him, he might get it.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 11 2021 - 11:35 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Petri dish style formicaria work great. I keep mine in a cup with some dirt inside that I moisten every now and then. A lot of people also use containers with a plaster/cement floor that they hydrate using either a reservoir or direct watering. Many things will work, just make sure that the humidity stays high.

• antsandmore likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#4 Offline Froggy - Posted February 11 2021 - 1:50 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

Petri dish style formicaria work great. I keep mine in a cup with some dirt inside that I moisten every now and then. A lot of people also use containers with a plaster/cement floor that they hydrate using either a reservoir or direct watering. Many things will work, just make sure that the humidity stays high.

ok, if I use the same style as the Petri dish in this video: 

but use a Deli Container instead of a Petri dish, would that work?

Edited by Froggy, February 11 2021 - 1:50 PM.

#5 Offline UtahAnts - Posted February 11 2021 - 1:50 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Here's a great video of some guy with ALOT of queens and colonies in setups that I imagine you could make yourself, the key is keeping the plaster/grout moist.

Edited by AntsUtah, February 11 2021 - 1:52 PM.

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users