• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

BrittonLS' Solenopsis invicta 9/27/15

solenopsis invicta journal brittonls

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Offline BrittonLS - Posted September 27 2015 - 9:33 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

9/27/15

I seem to be just absolutely abysmal at raising these for some reason! I think the garage isn't a good place for my ants, not sure if it's too hot or what, but none of my ants seem to have done well there. Or maybe I just neglected them a bit too much. But at least one group is doing well and has plenty of healthy workers.

Q4IDIsv.jpg

3CLcsIl.jpg

2K8dOeC.jpg

hy88UhJ.jpg

QylL2Kn.jpg

iwnHwFq.jpg

#42 Offline Air - Posted June 9 2016 - 6:47 PM

Air

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Update?

#43 Offline Adventurer390 - Posted June 20 2016 - 6:50 AM

Adventurer390

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I thought the same Ice lol

#44 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 2 2016 - 12:36 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

7/2/2016

Fine fine, I'll update. So I have them in a relatively small container right now. They grew a whole lot, but I think I've succeeded in feeding them only enough to keep their population under control. If I gave them all the food I wanted I'm sure I'd have a thousand times more ants in this colony. They still are in their original test tube, just in an outworld. They interestingly enough burrowed into the dry cotton to use the back end as its own nest chamber. It's my intent to move them into a larger formicarium and let them grow, but I haven't set anything up for them yet. I tried giving them a grout formicarium, but it seems there was a leak somewhere because I found a nice trail of ants leaving from it. Was pretty tiny though, so not many escapees, I just hand vacuumed them up.

Here are pictures not necessarily in order since the last time I updated. The very last one is most recent of their current setup. (Please ignore the giant trash pile I need to get rid of...)

wLYWkkJ.pngf9NNV9g.png

DupZYhF.png

4NYzfoA.jpg

They sure like their ByFormica Sunburst Ant Nectar.

ODDvS7x.jpgVtQZfDh.jpgkmegeV8.jpg

#45 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 2 2016 - 12:41 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Oh and here's a formicarium I designed for them in my Additive Manufacturing class. I designed little tunnels through the formicarium that take in water through capillariy action, which actually worked out perfectly when I tested it. I'd probably cover the end of the capillaries with grout or something that can soak in the water without letting the ants go through them.

0sxWDFa.jpg

• Gregory2455 likes this

#46 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 2 2016 - 1:02 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

People are naming queens now haha. cx

I also name queens.There's queen #1, queen #2,queen #3,queen #4,queen #5,queen #,queen #6,queen #7 and queen #8. :D

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#47 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 2 2016 - 1:40 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I designed little tunnels through the formicarium that take in water through capillariy action, which actually worked out perfectly when I tested it.
0sxWDFa.jpg

Uhm, is this formicarium 1 cm^3? Not sure if capillary action is the right word for something that big, unless there's something I'm not seeing.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#48 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 2 2016 - 2:55 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

I designed little tunnels through the formicarium that take in water through capillariy action, which actually worked out perfectly when I tested it.
0sxWDFa.jpg

Uhm, is this formicarium 1 cm^3? Not sure if capillary action is the right word for something that big, unless there's something I'm not seeing.

The section at the bottom is the water reservoir, you can see the triangles there that are the openings to the capillaries. I made the opening bigger and then taper down so the water could get inside the tunnels more easily. The capillaries are mostly the size of the triangles you see on the surface inside the nest. I want to say they were something like, 2 mm equilateral triangles? The "effective" capillary radius is smaller because they're triangles (close enough to the radius of a circle you could fit inside) and the capillaries are designed to only carry the water up about a centimeter or so, just enough to go to the nest. It keeps the water on the surface of the nest even when the water level goes below the formicarium floor height. 

The nest is 11x10 cm.

Edit: Here's this from wikipedia. I only needed to raise the water by 20 mm or so.

2014.06.17_Water_height_capillary.jpg

Edited by BrittonLS, July 2 2016 - 2:58 PM.

#49 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 4 2016 - 7:37 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I too am pretty surprised that you can get that much travel from holes that large in diameter. That graph you posted is for glass, BTW. Plastic doesn't adhere to water as well as glass does, therefor it's less effective in capillary action.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis, invicta, journal, brittonls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users