• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nest hydration

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lillyrose - Posted February 8 2021 - 2:22 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Good afternoon,

After realizing there was no way I could keep my ants in the ant shack formicarium I switched them over to a new one.

I really love the formicarium, it's a stone full of holes and spaces for growth.. but I realized unlike the others there was no little place for a water tube.

I used a dropper to wet the rock and the ants seem to love it.

My question is how often do I need to wet the rock? Is this a daily thing?

Will that mean I'll have to move them next winter since I cannot put a water tube on it?

http://imgur.com/a/pzG0PgT

#2 Offline UtahAnts - Posted February 8 2021 - 2:48 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

What type of rock is it? If it has any of the same qualities as firebrick, you might have to water it daily, depending on your ants. Maybe somehow making a hydration system with a sponge wick from a water reservoir, touching the rock would do the job. Cool nest though, did you find it?

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#3 Offline Lillyrose - Posted February 8 2021 - 2:59 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

What type of rock is it? If it has any of the same qualities as firebrick, you might have to water it daily, depending on your ants. Maybe somehow making a hydration system with a sponge wick from a water reservoir, touching the rock would do the job. Cool nest though, did you find it?

I'm not sure the type... would you know how I can learn to make a hydration reservoir?

https://www.amazon.c...ob_b_asin_title

I really like the stone ...the outworld is cool too..it has two places to insert tubes and a good lip with the lid. Not to mention the mesh is so fine it works even on these little guys.

Edited by Lillyrose, February 8 2021 - 3:01 PM.

#4 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted February 9 2021 - 5:13 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

That is an australian nest meant for their species, don't get me wrong-It will work well with our species also. I believe its aac/Aerated brick and these do very good with most ants. There should be a hydration port so you can hydrate it easily, hydrate it like that with the full pipette or syringe that they gave you and hydrate it again about three days later.

• Lillyrose likes this
We don’t talk about that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users