• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking for a phidole colony READ DESC

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted February 3 2021 - 7:28 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

If you can't pay until march then why are you asking now? Also you have to wait that long to spend less then the 20 dollars you're saying it needs to be? Maybe anting isn't the hobby for you. 

I've kept for 5 years .,.

I doubt you're going to find a Pheidole colony for under 20, even if it's small.

Can you specify around how many workers and brood (and queens depending on the species) you'd like?  If it's too much money I'd recommend spending the money on test tubes and cotton to wait for spring or summer, since I'm pretty sure you can't ship Pogonomyrmex into Cali without a permit.

yea. just catch some queens by spring or summer. everyone is waiting until then. and since pheidole are a fast growing genus, it will be hard to find a small colony. 

in my area you can only get unatives and argintines smh its kinda sad

Hey, you kept for 5 years? You should know where ants are now, except for argies. It seems like you are lying. Also don't send money in march, that results in tons of scams. Main flights start in march and april, so just wait. Also what happened to your colonies? Did they just all die? I highly doubt you kept for 5 years. 

• Chickalo likes this

#22 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted February 3 2021 - 7:48 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I have barely kept for a year and the only two names I get wrong are the scientific names for honey pots and aphaenogaster. (which I just spelled right)

We don’t talk about that

#23 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 3 2021 - 8:22 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

I have barely kept for a year and the only two names I get wrong are the scientific names for honey pots and aphaenogaster. (which I just spelled right)

I haven't even kept for 4 months now, and I know how to spell myrmecocystus :) I think...

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#24 Offline AleeGuy - Posted February 3 2021 - 8:32 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

yoyo mod delete tis

Mods do not read all the threads. If you want it to get deleted, then just report it.
https://www.formicul...topic/?p=176091

Edited by AleeGuy, February 3 2021 - 8:33 AM.

#25 Offline Chickalo - Posted February 3 2021 - 8:42 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I haven't even kept for 4 months now, and I know how to spell myrmecocystus :) I think...

I only get oecophylla, myrmecocystus, and creamy toes wrong (usually)

シグナチャーです。예.

#26 Offline Syber_ant - Posted February 3 2021 - 9:16 AM

Syber_ant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBrentwood california

No offense but I’m pretty sure he’s lying. This guy would be using proper terms if he was keeping that long, or at least would act more experienced than he seems. I’m just entering my 5th year in this hobby and I never do this kind of thing.

I'm not tot lol and i hv bad grammer

#27 Offline Syber_ant - Posted February 3 2021 - 9:17 AM

Syber_ant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

If you can't pay until march then why are you asking now? Also you have to wait that long to spend less then the 20 dollars you're saying it needs to be? Maybe anting isn't the hobby for you. 

I doubt you're going to find a Pheidole colony for under 20, even if it's small.

Can you specify around how many workers and brood (and queens depending on the species) you'd like?  If it's too much money I'd recommend spending the money on test tubes and cotton to wait for spring or summer, since I'm pretty sure you can't ship Pogonomyrmex into Cali without a permit.

yea. just catch some queens by spring or summer. everyone is waiting until then. and since pheidole are a fast growing genus, it will be hard to find a small colony. 

Hey, you kept for 5 years? You should know where ants are now, except for argies. It seems like you are lying. Also don't send money in march, that results in tons of scams. Main flights start in march and april, so just wait. Also what happened to your colonies? Did they just all die? I highly doubt you kept for 5 years. 

here there's a whole super colony every corner

#28 Offline Syber_ant - Posted February 3 2021 - 9:21 AM

Syber_ant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

First off, yeah we can be kinda toxic I'm not gonna lie, but often it's just joking around

Second, I'm not saying you're lying, but It's a bit unbelievable that you've been anting for over a year now but you don't use scientific terms to often, especially when it comes to Linepithema humile, since it's supposedly common where you live.  If you are there's really no reason to, since if it get's find out it only gives you a bad rep

Third, I don't know man, most people have a third so

In conclusion:  I recommend coming out know and admitting to anything you were lying about, if you weren't lying or just aren't that's fine too, but I (also) recommend learning about some of your local species scientific name, since common names can get thrown around so it's not very specific (Like instead of saying Fire ant say Solenopsis invicta, etc).  Then again you can always give me a bad rating and ignore this and call me stupid.

Sincerely, Chickalo

I've been keeping insects my whole life but anting only started for me 5 years ago and i spell bad ps i don't give bad ratings i try to be nice :]

#29 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted February 3 2021 - 11:58 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

First off, yeah we can be kinda toxic I'm not gonna lie, but often it's just joking around

Second, I'm not saying you're lying, but It's a bit unbelievable that you've been anting for over a year now but you don't use scientific terms to often, especially when it comes to Linepithema humile, since it's supposedly common where you live.  If you are there's really no reason to, since if it get's find out it only gives you a bad rep

In conclusion:  I recommend coming out know and admitting to anything you were lying about, if you weren't lying or just aren't that's fine too, but I (also) recommend learning about some of your local species scientific name, since common names can get thrown around so it's not very specific (Like instead of saying Fire ant say Solenopsis invicta, etc).  Then again you can always give me a bad rating and ignore this and call me stupid.

Sincerely, Chickalo

I've been keeping insects my whole life but anting only started for me 5 years ago and i spell bad ps i don't give bad ratings i try to be nice :]

Ok, so you should know where ant spots are right? what happened to your other colonies?

#30 Offline Tyr_Ants - Posted February 3 2021 - 2:40 PM

Tyr_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa California

I don't think u have been keeping for 5 years, and if u have u would've known a few spots where u can catch some ants buddy

Ant Shop: (restocking soon) https://www.formicul...op/#entry195574  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  B)  B)  B)

#31 Offline Syber_ant - Posted February 3 2021 - 6:40 PM

Syber_ant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Sincerely, Chickalo

Ok, so you should know where ant spots are right? what happened to your other colonies?

i have them and or they died

#32 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted February 3 2021 - 11:38 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Second, I'm not saying you're lying, but It's a bit unbelievable that you've been anting for over a year now but you don't use scientific terms to often, especially when it comes to Linepithema humile, since it's supposedly common where you live. If you are there's really no reason to, since if it get's find out it only gives you a bad rep

In conclusion: I recommend coming out know and admitting to anything you were lying about, if you weren't lying or just aren't that's fine too, but I (also) recommend learning about some of your local species scientific name, since common names can get thrown around so it's not very specific (Like instead of saying Fire ant say Solenopsis invicta, etc). Then again you can always give me a bad rating and ignore this and call me stupid.

Sincerely, Chickalo

What cause did they die from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Chickalo likes this

#33 Offline ZTYguy - Posted February 3 2021 - 11:51 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

My lord, ok. So you’ve been keeping for 5 years now, have bad spelling and don’t know where to find any of queens. That is what I know so far. So you want a Pheidole colony but you don’t want to wait or something like that. I suggest just looking at the sighting thread that DSP has and go from there. OR WAIT A MONTH OR TWO TO GET THE COLONY. Also I doubt you’ll find a colony for less then $20. I saw someone selling a super tiny colony for $35 a while ago so, good luck.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#34 Offline Chickalo - Posted February 4 2021 - 5:01 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

or just catch an Linepithema humile queen/colony???

シグナチャーです。예.

#35 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted February 4 2021 - 5:37 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I know a lot of spots ranging from around a 300 mile stretch all the way from north va to the lower middle va and even some more. I wouldn't buy a colony if I simply knew where they are. I can list at least 50 species and where to get them, and i've been keeping for not even a year so i'm pretty sure you should be able to find some queens.

• AleeGuy likes this
We don’t talk about that

#36 Offline AleeGuy - Posted February 4 2021 - 7:13 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

I know a lot of spots ranging from around a 300 mile stretch all the way from north va to the lower middle va and even some more. I wouldn't buy a colony if I simply knew where they are. I can list at least 50 species and where to get them, and i've been keeping for not even a year so i'm pretty sure you should be able to find some queens.

OwO, I will try to go to PWC forest park more often this year and check if there is any decent or less common sp. Do you know any spot by the chance there?

#37 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 4 2021 - 7:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Alee, PWF would be an excellent spot. Any forested bike paths would also be good as they create many edge areas and microhabitats that would support diverse species. This is especially true if the trail is near water.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#38 Offline AleeGuy - Posted February 4 2021 - 7:59 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Alee, PWF would be an excellent spot. Any forested bike paths would also be good as they create many edge areas and microhabitats that would support diverse species. This is especially true if the trail is near water.

there is creeks all over the park and a lake in southwest part of the park, I think I will go there.

Edited by AleeGuy, February 4 2021 - 8:01 AM.

#39 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 4 2021 - 8:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, dude. If you can put up a blacklight in the parking lot somehow, you’d find a crap ton of queens.
  • AleeGuy likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#40 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted February 4 2021 - 8:15 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Sincerely, Chickalo

Photo proof? It seems like this is all a lie. Its ok to be a noob, everyone starts somewhere lol.

• EthanNgo678, Manitobant, Swirlysnowflake and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users