• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Will feeding a Local colony Increase Reproductives?

colony reproductives feeding

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline UtahAnts - Posted January 25 2021 - 2:18 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Hi all, 

I have a large colony of Pogonomyrmex that live next to me. I was thinking of catching a good amount this year, as last year I only found one queen of this genus last year and it got a way. Would feeding them early on when they start foraging increase the amount of males/queens that fly locally from the nest? Or were the alates born last year? And when I say feed them, I mean give them bugs/earthworms and dandelion seeds, which is what I always see them eating in the wild anyways.  The goal here is to have as many queens fly and then I catch a couple if they stay local.

-Thanks for any info

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 25 2021 - 2:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Native ants need native plants to thrive. I would put your efforts toward creating and preserving native plant habitat in your area.
  • Scherme likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline UtahAnts - Posted January 25 2021 - 2:32 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Soo, don't feed the colony excessively? They live next to a cement curb, surrounded by grass, not a native plant in sight unfortunately. I know Pogonomyrmex are often given a bad rep for destroying surrounding wildlife, which is true, but some of the seeds collected also sprout. This is also the only local colony I have seen in my area and I happens to be next to me. Pogonomyrmex naturally live in south and west Utah's climates and in the summer you can see hundreds of tall pebble mounds throughout the prairie.

Ever since the Utah desert has been inhabited by pioneers, we have literally terraformed Utah valley from desert and prairie to a dense grassland with tons of trees using diverted water form the Colorado river and such. It feels better to us humans but we inadvertently destroyed a lot of the natural habitat. So maybe I will give re-colonizing this landscape, at least in my yard, with natural plants a shot. 

Edited by AntsUtah, January 25 2021 - 2:38 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#4 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 25 2021 - 2:37 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

how smart time to plant weeds and sh*t to get some more of my favourite lasius brevi around here

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 25 2021 - 3:03 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Yes, providing a colony with more food will likely affect the rate at which it can produce alates.  However, because alates are only produced/released seasonally, the timing will determine when the colony can convert those resources into reproductive potential.  You may need to feed them year round for a year or two to see results.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 25 2021 - 4:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Definitely give it a shot! You’ll start seeing wildlife you never even dreamed of, not just ants. I’d recommend looking for native plant societies in your area for recommendations. A lot of the species offered by Prairie Moon Nursery would be ideal for your area. You can check out my native plant journal for some ideas, as well, but I’m in a different eco-region.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 25 2021 - 4:49 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

ooh i wanna see some velvet ants

シグナチャーです。예.

#8 Offline steelplant - Posted January 26 2021 - 3:44 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I've always fed wild colonies sugars, just because I love ants. Since becoming an antkeeper, it seems a fair exchange for raiding their brood sometimes. I also like making nest materials available to them, like vermiculite, to get a better idea of what they like. I've not fed insects, but have a population explosion of crickets and mealworms so thanks for the idea antsutah.
  • TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#9 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted February 3 2021 - 8:59 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I only feed a wild colony when I take a couple workers for "research".
I think when you feed them a lot for a while and then stop they are gonna go through starvation and deaths because they can't support their numbers anymore.

So I like the long term native plantlife solution.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colony, reproductives, feeding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users