• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Just found out my acorn ants are probably tapinoma sessile

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Lillyrose - Posted January 25 2021 - 7:51 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

I was dumb

I heard acorn ants
I saw ants in an acorn

It never occurred to me that they were anything else

nah you just relied on what you heard. A good formicarium for these is a aus ants acrylic nest-these ants aren't exactly good ants and they are kinda boring but if you still want to keep them that's fine they grow to a big size and in breed so because they grow fast are escape artists and they inbreed you will definitely have a lot on your hands quite soon.
I wouldn't say they are boring as they seem really active, but they aren't the best species for captivity. You could get a THA nest and set species size to tiny, as that way it will be checked for any gaps or anything that ants could escape through.

Is THA Tarheel ants?
Tarheel ants have the one I want, buy the glass is magnetic ... I feel like that's not a good seal? Seel .. seal ... seal

#22 Offline AleeGuy - Posted January 25 2021 - 8:04 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
What others mean is that they refuse to properly live in captivity(*somewhat* like prenos) and they are escape artists. That's why they are not recommended as a beginner species.

#23 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 25 2021 - 8:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

The magnetic glass from Tarheel Ants works great, but make sure you order a nest designed for tiny species. I can't stress this enough! They go through extra protocols to make sure there are no gaps if you specify tiny species. It's not just about the size of the chambers. I learned this the hard way.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#24 Offline Lillyrose - Posted January 25 2021 - 8:08 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

What others mean is that they refuse to properly live in captivity(*somewhat* like prenos) and they are escape artists. That's why they are not recommended as a beginner species.

Oh that I can understand .. I really don't want to get them into the house lol my husband would kill me ... but I also really like them... so I guess I have to decide

Either way I'm going to let them hibernate here .. I crushed their acorn.. I won't put them back in such cold weather without an acorn or something to keep them safe.

#25 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted January 25 2021 - 8:10 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Well my opinion on them is probably well known.  I would say, any species you could keep in a healthy environment and safely enjoy!  I remember as a kid seeing monarch butterflies everywhere, now one rarely sees them and they are in drastic decline.  The upshot, enjoy each and every species that you can house in a healthy environment and with their best interests at heart because it may be when you are 30 years down the road of life what was once common may have become endangered or lost!!! Having had the experience of seeing the "live" and not pinned or a pic is worth it. Think of all those ash trees I grew up with...

Edited by PurdueEntomology, January 25 2021 - 8:11 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#26 Offline AleeGuy - Posted January 25 2021 - 8:10 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Is THA Tarheel ants?
Tarheel ants have the one I want, buy the glass is magnetic ... I feel like that's not a good seal? Seel .. seal ... seal

Yes, seal ... seal ... seal with silicone or something like that if you're afraid of them escaping. Do that if you're 100% sure that you'll be keeping them, because you won't be able to go back and remove it. You can keep them in the test tube setup first and if they do good then move them to a mini hearth.

Edited by AleeGuy, January 25 2021 - 8:12 AM.

• Lillyrose likes this

#27 Offline Lillyrose - Posted January 25 2021 - 8:14 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Well my opinion on them is probably well known. I would say, any species you could keep in a healthy environment and safely enjoy! I remember as a kid seeing monarch butterflies everywhere, now one rarely sees them and they are in drastic decline. The upshot, enjoy each and every species that you can house in a healthy environment and with their best interests at heart because it may be when you are 30 years down the road of life what was once common may have become endangered or lost!!! Having had the experience of seeing the "live" and not pinned or a pic is worth it. Think of all those ash trees I grew up with...

What wonderful advice!

So totally odd topic but I spent two hours spreading milkweed seeds throughout my yard, around the river, and blowing around my neighborhood. I probably looked insane .. but I'm hopeful that some will grow and maybe increase here.

Past summer I raised and released dozens of the painted ladies... id love to attract monarchs

#28 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 25 2021 - 8:18 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

We have a female version of andrew now as you can see by the post above^

which is quite a good thing lol, if you plant stuff like that I'm sure you could attract at least a creamtogaster and mrymentona species because crematogaster like sweets and camponotus species like that like to live in small pieces of dried weeds.

• Lillyrose likes this
We don’t talk about that

#29 Offline Lillyrose - Posted January 25 2021 - 8:23 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

We have a female version of andrew now as you can see by the post above^
which is quite a good thing lol, if you plant stuff like that I'm sure you could attract at least a creamtogaster and mrymentona species because crematogaster like sweets and camponotus species like that like to live in small pieces of dried weeds.

🥰

#30 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted January 25 2021 - 8:24 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Well my opinion on them is probably well known. I would say, any species you could keep in a healthy environment and safely enjoy! I remember as a kid seeing monarch butterflies everywhere, now one rarely sees them and they are in drastic decline. The upshot, enjoy each and every species that you can house in a healthy environment and with their best interests at heart because it may be when you are 30 years down the road of life what was once common may have become endangered or lost!!! Having had the experience of seeing the "live" and not pinned or a pic is worth it. Think of all those ash trees I grew up with...

What wonderful advice!

So totally odd topic but I spent two hours spreading milkweed seeds throughout my yard, around the river, and blowing around my neighborhood. I probably looked insane .. but I'm hopeful that some will grow and maybe increase here.

Past summer I raised and released dozens of the painted ladies... id love to attract monarchs

Bless your heart.  Monarchs are easy to keep and get to mate incase you did not know that.  I would encourage all of our forum members here to take time with supporting Monarch survival by putting out food plants and if possible breeding and release.  Let's not be too myopic or "myrmecentric" !!

#31 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 25 2021 - 8:28 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

What wonderful advice!

Bless your heart.  Monarchs are easy to keep and get to mate incase you did not know that.  I would encourage all of our forum members here to take time with supporting Monarch survival by putting out food plants and if possible breeding and release.  Let's not be too myopic or "myrmecentric" !!

Where I'm at in TN I see monarchs occasionally.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, January 25 2021 - 8:31 AM.

#32 Offline Lillyrose - Posted January 25 2021 - 8:33 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

What wonderful advice!

Bless your heart. Monarchs are easy to keep and get to mate incase you did not know that. I would encourage all of our forum members here to take time with supporting Monarch survival by putting out food plants and if possible breeding and release. Let's not be too myopic or "myrmecentric" !!

I did not know that.. would you happen to have a place I can get more information? I assumed I couldn't keep and breed because they need milkweed ... so I thought it had to be in the wild only.. id love to do my part and increase their population

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users