• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Etsy Illegal Sellers

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 6 2021 - 3:45 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m starting a campaign to report the sellers on Etsy that are selling European species in the US. Will you join me in reporting them? This is not a debate thread by the way, it just irks me to see what they are doing.
  • TennesseeAnts, Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, Devi and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline FSTP - Posted February 6 2021 - 3:50 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Yeah I've reported them in the past. I've also seen sellers selling Ca native ants that are based in other states. I've reported them in the past and nothing seemed to happen. Perhaps with a few more people reporting something will happen. 

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 6 2021 - 4:21 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This is the first time I'm hearing about handmade and vintage queen ants.

• mmcguffi, AnthonyP163, FSTP and 3 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 6 2021 - 5:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thank you. Not only are these vendors scummy and unscrupulous, they’re stealing my business.
Definitely not hand-made either.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#5 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted February 6 2021 - 6:36 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I’m starting a campaign to report the sellers on Etsy that are selling European species in the US. Will you join me in reporting them? This is not a debate thread by the way, it just irks me to see what they are doing.

It might be important to check if they're actually selling European ants, or if their 'Lasius niger' is actually just Lasius americanus  :lol:

• CheetoLord02 and Antkeeper01 like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#6 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted February 6 2021 - 6:59 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

here is a seller in america who is selling messor: https://www.etsy.com..._search_click=1

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 6 2021 - 7:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

It might be important to check if they're actually selling European ants, or if their 'Lasius niger' is actually just Lasius americanus :lol:
The Messor barbarus is the give away for me.

#8 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 6 2021 - 8:34 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

yea. There was a person on reddit who posted about advice for their new queen ant, which was coming soon. They were located in texas, and the species they were "Selling" was messor barbarus. Everyone was giving advice, but I think its important to actually know that its not even a species that exists in your area. I told them its a scam, but nothing back. Anyway, good luck on your campaign!

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#9 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted February 6 2021 - 9:03 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Also, ebay. ebay is filled with overpriced, illegal insects. People are willing to ship almost any insect worldwide

My YouTube channel :)

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 6 2021 - 11:04 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I'm pretty sure with ebay and etsy they don't care. Both sites also have a TON of other "exotic" pets that shouldn't be allowed either. Ebay for example often has crayfish and exotic stick insects that get sold that aren't allowed, and some are invasive species.

It be more effective to contact people more able to do something about it that can take legal measures.

Edited by Vendayn, February 6 2021 - 11:06 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#11 Offline gcsnelling - Posted February 6 2021 - 11:29 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Odds are the appropriate "powers that be" are aware of many of these sellers, sadly  it just takes time to investigate things.

• Vendayn and TennesseeAnts like this

#12 Offline Barristan - Posted February 6 2021 - 12:43 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

If I sold European ants to the US would the CIA kidnap me and put me into Guantanamo bay? Asking for a friend.

Edited by Barristan, February 6 2021 - 12:47 PM.

#13 Offline FSTP - Posted February 6 2021 - 12:57 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

If I sold European ants to the US would the CIA kidnap me and put me into Guantanamo bay? Asking for a friend.

yes

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 6 2021 - 2:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
CIA is probably too busy tracking down Q psychos.

#15 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 6 2021 - 5:16 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

"Government will do as government does."

-Modified quote

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#16 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 6 2021 - 5:45 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

CIA is probably too busy tracking down Q psychos.

yes, that's what they actually do, but assuming FSTP said yes to discourage selling European ants to the US because 1. the seller becomes illegal, and 2. the buyer also becomes illegal. 3. both will pay fines(at least I think) and 4. tooooo much shipping

https://www.google.c...=w8zxCtjwoJVLoM

Edited by antsandmore, February 6 2021 - 5:45 PM.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#17 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted February 6 2021 - 5:47 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

In all seriousness, no. It'd be your buyer that's on the hook for importing exotics. Same with purchasing US ants and exporting them abroad, it'd be the seller that's breaking the law, not you.

#18 Offline ZTYguy - Posted February 6 2021 - 7:45 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I’m just saying, but there is a one in a thousand chance they will change things. All they are thinking about is the profit and they are such big companies that they could never be taken down. Just saying but I love the cause. I hope you change something because it needs to stop.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#19 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 6 2021 - 9:05 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

The saddest listing I saw (well saddest for me) was someone on ebay selling Pheidole megacephala. Located in orange county california...so they know where the invasive Pheidole are and decided to sell them. This was last year I think? I remember I commented on it, but maybe it was in chat or on discord I forgot. But made me worried at the time they figured out by my anting thread where they are located, since I haven't really made my actual location that private (they could find it if they were that zealous about it through geographical details in my anting section of the pheidole vs argentine ant war and if they searched the apartment company up and my username. I'm probably not that hard to find)

They were also selling them for over 200 USD which was crazy. Lots of queens but don't remember how many they said. But I remember their sells pitch was selling them as a "supercolony variety of native pheidole megacephala". Even though there are no native pheidole megacephala and no supercolony native Pheidole. 

Edited by Vendayn, February 6 2021 - 9:06 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 7 2021 - 3:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I’m just saying, but there is a one in a thousand chance they will change things. All they are thinking about is the profit and they are such big companies that they could never be taken down. Just saying but I love the cause. I hope you change something because it needs to stop.

If a lot of us get on there and report them, maybe something will be done.
  • Antkeeper01 and ZTYguy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users