• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wasp Queen?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:11 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Like regular printer paper or is that dangerous? And as soon as she lays eggs she needs worms?

Construction paper works best for some of my colonies last year. I would give her worms now, helps boost. 

I need to catch me a wasp queen now, not exactly a queen but the ones that kinda are parasites. They eat caterpillars and then lay an egg on them so it will develop.

Those are solitary wasps, and there are tons of species. :) I'm planning to try and breed some this summer if I can catch any.

there's alot near me. I can sell you some if youd like. 

• Swirlysnowflake and antsandmore like this

#42 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:12 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Like regular printer paper or is that dangerous? And as soon as she lays eggs she needs worms?

Construction paper works best for some of my colonies last year. I would give her worms now, helps boost. 

I need to catch me a wasp queen now, not exactly a queen but the ones that kinda are parasites. They eat caterpillars and then lay an egg on them so it will develop.

Those are solitary wasps, and there are tons of species. :) I'm planning to try and breed some this summer if I can catch any.

Which sp.? (about the solitary wasps)

My YouTube channel :)

#43 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:16 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Which sp.? (about the solitary wasps)

I've never really ided them. I can id them this spring.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#44 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:24 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

how do you care for wasps? is it hard? where do you catch them? also, how fast do colonies develop, since if i had a huge population of wasps, that probably wouldn't be good for me :) (more my family) lol

Edited by antsandmore, January 12 2021 - 9:25 AM.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#45 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:26 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I have a boyfriend wasp :| I think he ded tho. 

We don’t talk about that

#46 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:29 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

how do you care for wasps? is it hard? where do you catch them? also, how fast do colonies develop, since if i had a huge population of wasps, that probably wouldn't be good for me :) (more my family) No 

No its not hard. I have a hotspot in SD with rare sp if you want the location. 

#47 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:29 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

how do you care for wasps? is it hard? where do you catch them? also, how fast do colonies develop, since if i had a huge population of wasps, that probably wouldn't be good for me :) (more my family) lol

I don't think its too hard. You can catch queens basically anywhere in spring. Colony development rate depends on which species. Polistes tend to have much smaller, less aggressive colonies than Vespula, who are large and aggressive. If you want small colonies go with Polistes. 

Polistes aurifer, when adult size, colonies (in captivity) have 15-20 workers. Vespula have 50 workers at minimum and can grow much larger lol. 

• antsandmore likes this

#48 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:29 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Also polistes only live a year, and they don't grow large.

#49 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:30 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

sure... thanks!!! wait, the queen lives only a year or the workers live 1 year?

Ants I am keeping:

#50 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:32 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

I don't think its too hard. You can catch queens basically anywhere in spring. Colony development rate depends on which species. Polistes tend to have much smaller, less aggressive colonies than Vespula, who are large and aggressive. If you want small colonies go with Polistes. 

Polistes aurifer, when adult size, colonies (in captivity) have 15-20 workers. Vespula have 50 workers at minimum and can grow much larger lol. 

Polistes Dorsalis has the smallest colonies and the smallest nests. I kept em last year and they were so fun before the foundress died.

Queen, the colony dies. 

They only last a year and release foundresses and males to mate. I know someone who captives breeds them on the Wasp Discord.

#51 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:34 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

ooof. that's sad...

Ants I am keeping:

#52 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:35 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

how do you care for wasps? is it hard? where do you catch them? also, how fast do colonies develop, since if i had a huge population of wasps, that probably wouldn't be good for me :) (more my family) No 

SoCal has the coolest stuff... rare wasps, Acromyrmex, an invert club, deserts 

Wish I lived there lol

You can overwinter queens to re-start the colony next year. Its not always possible but it has been done

#53 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:38 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Wish I lived there lol

You can overwinter queens to re-start the colony next year. Its not always possible but it has been done

here's the thing. I live in socal, and its so hard to find things that are cool.(for me at least. maybe because its winter.) unless you have dreams about them. I had a dream about catching a termite king and queen yesterday lmao

Ants I am keeping:

#54 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:39 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Wish I lived there lol

here's the thing. I live in socal, and its so hard to find things that are cool.(for me at least. maybe because its winter.) unless you have dreams about them. I had a dream about catching a termite king and queen yesterday lmao

Because its winter lol. Most insects go dormant during winter. 

#55 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:40 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

yep. At least it doesn't snow here, and I can still find ants moving around. (Sometimes. Its kind of hard since this is my second month of antkeeping)

Ants I am keeping:

#56 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:42 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

yep. At least it doesn't snow here, and I can still find ants moving around. (Sometimes. Its kind of hard since this is my second month of antkeeping)

lol its my 2nd year of ant keeping and I've never found any queen species except Prenos. Not even any Argentine ant queens, only the workers. 

Edit: Oh no sorry M_Ants, we shifted the topic away from wasps now lol. 

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, January 12 2021 - 9:42 AM.

• antsandmore likes this

#57 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:58 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

So . . . have you guys ever found any bumble bee queens before, they are soooooo cute!!!!!!!!

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#58 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:59 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

nope, aww how cute

Ants I am keeping:

#59 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted January 12 2021 - 10:01 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Wish I lived there lol

I have. They don't live long tho lol. Better off catching a new foundress.

So . . . have you guys ever found any bumble bee queens before, they are soooooo cute!!!!!!!!

I have 2 years ago. I am catching some for myself and swirly this year. 

#60 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 12 2021 - 10:06 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

pllzzzzz include meeeeeeee!!!!!!!! please

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users