• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to use a heating cable?

heating colonies ant-keeping

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline gs5248 - Posted January 9 2021 - 3:05 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

For quite a while now I have been using heating mats to heat my colonies. However, heating mats are really impractical in my opinion, and they will only heat up one to three colonies at a time. So, I bought a heating cable. I am going to use on my fallen fortress, and I am not sure where exactly I should place the heating cable. Any thoughts?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 9 2021 - 3:31 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Try putting a loop over the glass with a towel on top to trap heat.
  • AleeGuy likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline AleeGuy - Posted January 9 2021 - 5:40 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Try putting a loop over the glass with a towel on top to trap heat.

yes. There can condensation occur though with towel trapping and heating the water chamber of the test tube(and if the room is too cold), so be careful.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 9 2021 - 6:13 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good point, Alee. Go slow! Heat a little bit at a time and see how the ants react and monitor condensation.
  • Devi and AleeGuy like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Devi - Posted January 9 2021 - 6:18 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Good point, Alee. Go slow! Heat a little bit at a time and see how the ants react and monitor condensation.

Also, if I were you I would try and only heat one side of the nest, so that the ants can pick what temperature they want.  

• AleeGuy likes this

#6 Offline AleeGuy - Posted January 9 2021 - 9:48 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Also, if I were you I would try and only heat one side of the nest, so that the ants can pick what temperature they want.
yes, plus always heat the furthest side away from the water tower.

Edited by AleeGuy, January 9 2021 - 9:48 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heating colonies, ant-keeping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users