• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants_Dakota's Camponotus novaeboracensis Journal

south dakota ants_dakota camponotus novaeboracensis camponotus

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted January 5 2021 - 12:13 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Hello all!

Welcome to the first of my ant colony journals! As many of you know, I am a South Dakotan, and we don't have many people or any exotic ants here, but I hope you still love the journal. This one will be about my Camponotus novaeboracensis colony I caught early this year in the black hills. It is the only colony I have left, as the other ones i have sold. I will edit this post later, to add pics! They are doing great with maybe 8 larvae of all different sizes, and maybe 20 eggs! I plan to keep them out of hibernation for the rest of the year. I know it may not be the best for them, but i just don't have a good setup for the frigid temps up here!

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#2 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 5 2021 - 2:19 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

cool!

• United-Ants likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 5 2021 - 3:33 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Nice. I may try again with this species. The only queens I ever got of this species have died.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 23 2021 - 9:04 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

guess what? Ants_Dakota is back! I took a little break from formiculture, but i hope i will be on more in the future. I bring updates on my Camponotus novaeboracensis as well! I will add pics to this post later. The camponotus are doing great, seeing they are inside in 40 degree weather. I am unsure of the current count, but i believe they have 13 pupa, maybe 15 small and medium larvae, and one large, and a fresh batch of 15-20 eggs! which is great, and puts them as my most sucessful colony that i raised myself. Again, i hope to get pics and edit this post, so please be patient for a little while!

Nice. I may try again with this species. The only queens I ever got of this species have died.

they are a great species, as their super majors get huge. bigger than pennsalvanicus. 

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 23 2021 - 9:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Good to have you back!

• Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 23 2021 - 9:09 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Good to have you back!

so am i! discord is getting  :sore:

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 23 2021 - 10:27 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

they are a great species, as their super majors get huge. bigger than pennsalvanicus. 

They seem more aggressive too, but that may just be the individuals I observed (though ants have like no individuality). I have been bitten by novaeboracensis, and it was not fun. They put acid in the wound too.

Edited by Kaelwizard, February 23 2021 - 10:28 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#8 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 23 2021 - 10:32 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

They seem more aggressive too, but that may just be the individuals I observed (though ants have like no individuality). I have been bitten by novaeboracensis, and it was not fun. They put acid in the wound too.

oh yes, me too. decently painful for a non stinging ant.

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 23 2021 - 11:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What’s going on with discord?
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#10 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 23 2021 - 12:08 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

What’s going on with discord?

not the greatest things. i will keep it at that, though. fc is just much more peaceful. i mean, the name discord should tell you all you need to know...

Edited by Ants_Dakota, February 23 2021 - 12:09 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#11 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 6 2021 - 9:30 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

for all of you who are like "how hard it is to take 3 pictures of your ants???," i know. but i have finally done it. here is the glorious camponotus!

here is a general view of the colony. 

P1050112.JPG

look at all of that brood! i estimate 13-15 pupa, 13 large and medium larvae, 10 smaller stage larvae, and maybe 20 eggs!

P1050113.JPG

and a view at the newest larger worker! still a little callow at the thorax, she is centered in the photo, behind the ant on the glass.

P1050114.JPG

this colony is exploding! i am really so excited to move them onto a new formicarium, which i am still thinking about.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, AntsDakota and 2 others like this

#12 Offline to_be_announced - Posted April 9 2021 - 12:25 PM

to_be_announced

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSouth East Minnesota

I'm hoping to find some queens of this species this year.  Is it correct that they fly in May/June?  I'm in Minnesota, so probably fly close to the same time here as they do in SD.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Currently keeping Tetramorium Immigrans and Camponotus Pennsylvanicus in THA mini hearths.  I also have a couple Prenolepis Imparus queens in test tubes.

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 9 2021 - 12:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Track the weather and look for the first humid days after rain that hit 80 degrees.
  • Ants_Dakota and to_be_announced like this

#14 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 10 2021 - 9:40 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I'm hoping to find some queens of this species this year.  Is it correct that they fly in May/June?  I'm in Minnesota, so probably fly close to the same time here as they do in SD.

yes! late may is right. try to look around forests if you have any near you.

#15 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 10 2021 - 9:41 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Track the weather and look for the first humid days after rain that hit 80 degrees.

i got these in the Black Hills right after a rain, so that is definitely correct. keep your eyes peeled! they are a really amazing species to keep. and their majors are HUGE!!!

#16 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 13 2022 - 1:12 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
Ooof. This journal just shows how long I have been absent from formiculture. Sadly, this colony died last year due to most likely pesticides on a wild caterpillar I fed them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: south dakota, ants_dakota, camponotus novaeboracensis, camponotus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users