• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tales of the Formica cunicularia

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted July 11 2022 - 8:09 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
This season I wanted to expand my ant collection and I really wanted to keep formica.
First I caught formica rufa which is protected in Austria and its almost impossible to recreate their natural lifestyle so I had to let her go.
A day later I caught formica rufibaris but overnight she vanished. She must've squeezed by the cotton and was gone.
Have to respect her effort to be free.

Just as I thought this season wasn't gonna go well I caught a lasius flavus queen.
I wanted to release her because it's a very unexciting species in my opinion.
Yesterday I looked into the test tube and to my surprise the flavus queen had pupae already and they looked a little larger than expected. For the first time I made a picture of the queen and had a better look.

Now it was very obvious that this wasn't lasius and with a bit of research I found out that my dream of having a formica colony has already well progressed. That's where this journal starts and the story of my 3rd colony begins.

#2 Offline NotAxo - Posted July 12 2022 - 3:39 AM

NotAxo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Noice, already following

Has raised : Crematogaster cerasi, Camponotus compressus, Solenopsis

Am raising : Camponotus compressus, Diacamma rogosum  :yahoo: Yellow crazy ants  :yahoo: Crematogatser

Maruder ant, Camponotus sericeus

Enjoy anting,

NotAxo

:D 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users