• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tips on how to keep Prenolepis imparis?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline gs5248 - Posted December 27 2020 - 4:44 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Hello. I just joined this forum very recently. I have been antkeeping for a year at this point, and have only been keeping tetramorium. So next I was planning on keeping Prenolepis imparis. Does any one have any tips?

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 28 2020 - 10:08 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Prenolepis are quite hard to keep and usually die in their second year. They have a unique hibernation/estivation schedule which we arr still trying to replicate. They are quite easy though in regards to diet and founding though.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#3 Offline gs5248 - Posted December 28 2020 - 2:12 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Prenolepis are quite hard to keep and usually die in their second year. They have a unique hibernation/estivation schedule which we arr still trying to replicate. They are quite easy though in regards to diet and founding though.

Yeah, I have done research on this species but have never found any concrete information on their hibernation cycle.

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 28 2020 - 3:36 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I think they only lay one batch of eggs a year, that's at least what some people say. They seem to end up with only a few workers by the end of the season. Brood also takes forever to develop. I think three months for some.

#5 Offline AleeGuy - Posted December 28 2020 - 4:40 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
tip/care sheet from Noebl1
Prenolepis Imparis
1. Year one treat them as normal ants (like Lasius)
2. Put them into diapause later then most, usually Nov is fine, keep them in the 40-50Fs during ( didn't even put them into a wine cooler but basement temps in that range)
3. Pull them out Jan-March
4. Offer loads of protein and sugar, even if they don't have any brood
5. They should fatten up and have plenty of fat workers in Spring
6. In May/June make sure you keep up sugar and proteins even without brood, they should gorge themselves for summer estivation. Also make sure they have plenty of water (how I almost lost one colony this SPring)
7. During diapause, keep them warm... 70 - 80F is fine, treat them like Lasius, except they won't do anything
8. If all goes well, sometime in June/July they will relay and feed brood entirely off repletes
9. As workers eclose, they will start to forage again end of August
10. repeat step 2

Edit:
P.s. they'll get boring at some point, so be ready for that

P.p.s it is more interesting/fun when you have several queens in the colony

Edited by AleeGuy, December 28 2020 - 4:46 PM.

• OhNoNotAgain and MinigunL5 like this

#6 Offline gs5248 - Posted December 28 2020 - 4:52 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

tip/care sheet from Noebl1
Prenolepis Imparis
1. Year one treat them as normal ants (like Lasius)
2. Put them into diapause later then most, usually Nov is fine, keep them in the 40-50Fs during ( didn't even put them into a wine cooler but basement temps in that range)
3. Pull them out Jan-March
4. Offer loads of protein and sugar, even if they don't have any brood
5. They should fatten up and have plenty of fat workers in Spring
6. In May/June make sure you keep up sugar and proteins even without brood, they should gorge themselves for summer estivation. Also make sure they have plenty of water (how I almost lost one colony this SPring)
7. During diapause, keep them warm... 70 - 80F is fine, treat them like Lasius, except they won't do anything
8. If all goes well, sometime in June/July they will relay and feed brood entirely off repletes
9. As workers eclose, they will start to forage again end of August
10. repeat step 2
Edit:
P.s. they'll get boring at some point, so be ready for that

P.p.s it is more interesting/fun when you have several queens in the colony

Thanks you so much for the information! I will definitely use this! :)  :D  :lol:

• AleeGuy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users