• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Noob: bit by the bug

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lillyrose - Posted December 21 2020 - 1:03 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
I don't know if I should be thankful or upset that I didn't get onto ants back in March. They would have been a lot of fun that time of the year, but I would have went overboard I'm sure. I'm nervous I will go overboard come this spring when the queens start to fly. Some could fly as early as February if I'm lucky enough to find the winter ants when they fly.

It started by accident, I was actually trying to build this closed terrianium thing and I kept grabbing ants. I'd feel guilty and let them go, then catch more to satisfy my need to watch them.

Turns out the ants I was catching were winter ants. I left out treats and tried to follow them back home. Spent over a week trying to catch them at the right Temps but their nest seemed to be under a wood log pile on... and not my land.

No luck.

I heard about these things called acorn ants and I started grabbing acorns everytime I went hiking. I actually got lucky and found some and then I made every mistake I could.

They had mites and they may have died .. I'm not sure and I'm not going to find out until March when the Temps start to cool.

I threw their poor little acorn into a high humidity terrianium that was like 90 degrees when the real world was like 40. I tried to put them outside but the nights were too cold.

I'm telling you.. I made every mistake I could.

So, after much research and regret they are in a mini fridge that stick to between 45 and 50 degrees.

I also looked into the GAN project and bought a queen and her brood and put them in as well.

I'm being good and leaving them alone.

In the meantime I'm buying little gizmos and stuff for when the ants wake up and learning about catching queens after their flight. I purchased some hydrostone plaster with the idea that my mistakes would be good rocks to entice new queens with.

I really hope I didn't kill the acorn ants.
  • OhNoNotAgain and Ants_Dakota like this

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 21 2020 - 1:21 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

awesome! remember, don't go too crazy and move your ants into a new formicarium with a few workers, as they will not do to good. i find that to be a rookie mistake. give them time, and be patient. then you will succeed. 

Edited by Ants_Dakota, December 22 2020 - 6:10 AM.

• Lillyrose and Chickalo like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 21 2020 - 2:13 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome! Start with one or two EASY species. You can spend the winter months reading journals on here to learn the basics.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Lillyrose - Posted December 21 2020 - 6:10 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Thanks! I'm hopeful. I'm not messing with them but I am hunting new acorn ants lol.

#5 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted December 21 2020 - 8:03 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

It would so cool to find ants in acorns. Whereabouts are you?

• Lillyrose likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 22 2020 - 6:10 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

acorn ants are hard to find. just keep that in mind.

• Devi likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 22 2020 - 7:40 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Not if you live in the right place. Out east practically every acorn and twig holds a Temnothorax colony inside.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline Devi - Posted December 22 2020 - 7:44 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Not if you live in the right place. Out east practically every acorn and twig holds a Temnothorax colony inside.

They are certainly hard to find for me!  I think Ants_Dakota may have been talking about in South Dakota, and just in his experiences.  I haven't seen any either.  

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#9 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 22 2020 - 7:46 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

They are certainly hard to find for me!  I think Ants_Dakota may have been talking about in South Dakota, and just in his experiences.  I haven't seen any either.  

yup. i was just thinking that they are really small, and that could make them hard to keep.

• Devi likes this

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 22 2020 - 7:46 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I know this, but his statement was universal, and someone misinformed could mistake South Dakota for everywhere.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 22 2020 - 9:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
There not easy to find out here, either, except when blacklighting.
  • Ants_Dakota and Devi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#12 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 22 2020 - 9:34 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

as antsdakota said, if you were in the black hills, you might find some, but even then, they are so small, i could never see any ants until i stumbled onto the accidentally. 

#13 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 22 2020 - 10:44 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I just crack open any twig with an old tunnel in it. I try to look inside with a flashlight first though.

Edited by Kaelwizard, December 22 2020 - 10:45 AM.

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 22 2020 - 10:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

as antsdakota said, if you were in the black hills, you might find some, but even then, they are so small, i could never see any ants until i stumbled onto the accidentally.
I saw close to 500 queens blacklighting this summer, no joke.
  • Devi likes this

#15 Offline UtahAnts - Posted December 22 2020 - 5:09 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

I find the best way to find queens and colonies of wood dwelling ants such as temnothorax and Camponotus is to look for dead logs that have a specific texture. Its hard to describe, but the wood looks really old and kind of orangish. The wood is actually quite soft, and it should be easy to break apart with your hands. I have found every Camponotus and temnothorax species I own in logs such as these, even some Pogonomyrmex one time, lol.

Good luck though on your colonies, looking forward to updates!

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#16 Offline Lillyrose - Posted December 27 2020 - 7:27 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

#17 Offline Lillyrose - Posted December 27 2020 - 7:30 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Ok, this is a new site for me and I didn't realize people had written and I can't seem to figure out the threads lol. .. so excuse me for my dummy .. but

I'm on the east coast, near DC .. but apparently they're common. I've picked up a lot without finding any, but I've seen people find 3 in 20 minutes.. it can be hit or miss.
Part of it is finding the right conditions.

I have picked up thirty or forty acorns a week and haven't found another colony.
  • OhNoNotAgain likes this

#18 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 27 2020 - 8:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow, you live really near me then. I can definitely help you get started if you want. If you try a blacklight trap this summer, you will find more Temnothorax queens than you could ever imagine.
  • OhNoNotAgain and Lillyrose like this

#19 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted December 27 2020 - 12:34 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Very nice. I lived near DC once. The vegetation was so lush and incredible.

• ANTdrew likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#20 Offline AleeGuy - Posted December 27 2020 - 1:29 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
I live 30 mins away from DC
  • Devi likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users