• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Sydney, NSW, Australia. Dec 16th 2020. Queen ID

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ollie - Posted December 16 2020 - 12:12 AM

Ollie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi everyone, I have quite a few queens that I'm unsure of ID for, but can get by more or less since they're definitely claustral and they all love honey and insects. I would like to know others' thoughts on this queen though, since I'm not sure what kind of set up would suit her best?

1. Location of collection: Outer North-West Sydney, NSW, Australia

2. Date of collection: November 4th.
3. Habitat of collection: Caught in house albeit surrounding environment is temperate eucalyptus forest and grassland.
4. Length (from head to gaster): 11mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: glossy black with scarce scattered fine hairs, and a red-brown hue at the tips of her legs, antennae, mandibles and gaster.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Relatively long, pointed gaster with a concentration of orange-ish hairs on the tip. Has spines on the inside of her leg joints. One petiole node (I might be mistaken since it's not visible from the sides and can only be distinguished from below, I've circled it in a photo).
7. Distinguishing behavior: Quite aggressive, sensitive to light and movement. Her feet can't grip smooth surfaces at all and she has trouble turning around in her test tube (If I can ID her I'll put appropriate substrate in). Her larvae are also quite active (their heads swivel in search for food).

I've attached the image files. Let me know if I should add anything else or if the images don't work

Attached Images

• IMG_ (1).jpg
  • IMG_ (2).jpg
  • IMG_ (3).jpg
  • IMG_ (4).jpg
  • IMG_ (5).jpg
  • IMG_ (6).jpg
  • IMG_ (7).jpg
  • IMG_ (8).jpg
  • IMG_ (9).jpg
  • IMG_ (10).jpg

• MinigunL5 likes this

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 16 2020 - 6:01 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

those are great pics. i am no Australian ant id master, but those are sufficient to identify down pretty far.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#3 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 16 2020 - 6:07 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Looks a lot like Brachyponera lutea to me. An unusual claustral Ponerine ant.

• AnthonyP163, CheetoLord02, Manitobant and 3 others like this

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 16 2020 - 6:18 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I agree with Brachyponera lutea.

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 16 2020 - 8:37 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I do as well. Awesome species.

• Ollie likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 16 2020 - 9:11 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I also agree with Brachyponera lutea.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 16 2020 - 9:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Never heard of it, but I'll agree as well!

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 16 2020 - 1:41 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Pretty sure they have the greatest size difference between queen and worker of all Ponerine ants.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#9 Offline Ollie - Posted December 16 2020 - 1:45 PM

Ollie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you all so much!

#10 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 17 2020 - 7:13 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Never heard of it, but I'll agree as well!

i agree with that!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users