• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formicarium to contain Brachymyrmex patagonicus?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BroJack - Posted December 25 2020 - 7:42 PM

BroJack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Does anyone know about a reliable, cheap or DIY formicarium that will contain really small ants. I have 9 single queen colonies (will try multiple next year - did not know when I caught and set them up) and am finding workers on my desk frequently. They were in test tube set-ups but got really hard to feed when the numbers of workers grew. I moved them into tube and tub (pencil box)  set-ups with fluon on the tubs. The fluon did NOTHING to contain the workers and the tops don't contain the workers either.

I'm looking for formicarium ideas that 1) will contain them and 2) make feeding and hydration easy.

I have read the journals but none seem to go beyond their founding test tubes. The one that did had a dirt formicarium and I'm not interested in going that direction at this time.

Any ideas or suggestions? This is my first experience with ants this small.

• CheetoLord02 likes this

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 25 2020 - 7:43 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

There’s the founding AUS Ants formicarium. Or just make one from an amac box.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 25 2020 - 9:17 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
A tar heel ants atom would work. Email him as he only makes them for special order.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 26 2020 - 3:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A test tube in a pencil box will create too much humidity for fluon to be effective. Put the tubes in a larger container with a well ventilated lid. Renew fluon every few months.
  • MinigunL5 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline gs5248 - Posted December 28 2020 - 2:16 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

You could try a THA mini hearth. It is very effective at keeping in small species from my experience. It costs around 30 dollars. However, the shipping can be expensive, especially if you live outside of the US. :)

• MinigunL5 likes this

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 28 2020 - 3:27 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

You could try a THA mini hearth. It is very effective at keeping in small species from my experience. It costs around 30 dollars. However, the shipping can be expensive, especially if you live outside of the US. :)

A bifurcated mini hearth is better for tiny species. Also they are in Arizona.

Edited by Kaelwizard, December 28 2020 - 3:27 PM.

#7 Offline gs5248 - Posted December 28 2020 - 3:33 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

A bifurcated mini hearth is better for tiny species. Also they are in Arizona.

Yes, however a bifurcated mini hearth is more expensive at fifty dollars. I have kept tiny species in regular mini hearth, and they have been fine. But if you could get your hand on a bifurcated one, then it would probably be better.

• MinigunL5 likes this

#8 Offline UtahAnts - Posted December 28 2020 - 7:53 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

THA is having a holiday sell, 25 for mini hearth, 30 for xl and bifurcated, etc. But I would recommend a Bifurcated mini hearth for brachymyrmex, I have kept some in test tubes before, and they were fine.

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users