• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking for Camponotus species in the bay area, California

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline tdoukas - Posted December 11 2020 - 12:25 PM

tdoukas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi!  I'm looking for a Camponotus queen, ideally with at least a couple workers or more, so I know she's fertile.  I don't know the name of the species I prefer, but can describe it.....

Once I found and housed a Camponotus that produced about 15 workers, and I loved that type because the progeny were made up of 2 different sizes and colors (dark ants and golden ants).  The queen had bold stripes on her abdomen.  I'd love to find that one again.  I'm located in Redwood City, California (between San Francisco and San Jose).

Thank you!

#2 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 11 2020 - 1:16 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Hi!  I'm looking for a Camponotus queen, ideally with at least a couple workers or more, so I know she's fertile.  I don't know the name of the species I prefer, but can describe it.....

Once I found and housed a Camponotus that produced about 15 workers, and I loved that type because the progeny were made up of 2 different sizes and colors (dark ants and golden ants).  The queen had bold stripes on her abdomen.  I'd love to find that one again.  I'm located in Redwood City, California (between San Francisco and San Jose).

Thank you!

Not sure which species you are describing, as I am not good on ant IDs, but you may want to look at Jordan's EnchANTery. Selling some Camponotus with workers for a really good price.

• tdoukas likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#3 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted December 11 2020 - 4:58 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

wait hold up, it produced black and golden workers? did they ever cull them?

• tdoukas likes this

#4 Offline tdoukas - Posted March 25 2021 - 8:26 AM

tdoukas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

StrickyAnts.....  The black and golden progeny both exist simulaneously.  I don't see any culling.  I'm super curious, why do you ask?

#5 Offline ZTYguy - Posted March 25 2021 - 9:10 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I think stricky is thinking about cross species/genus brood boosting but I'm going to ask did you buy or find this queen. I may be wrong but iv'e never heard of this species in cali.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#6 Offline JenC - Posted March 25 2021 - 9:25 AM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
If you still want Camponotus dm me
  • MrPurpleB likes this
Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#7 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted March 25 2021 - 7:15 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
This probably isn't right but did the workers look like this?

Attached Images

• Screenshot_20210325-201312_Chrome.jpg

• ZTYguy likes this

#8 Offline tdoukas - Posted March 28 2021 - 7:45 AM

tdoukas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I caught the queen on my back deck in Redwood City, California on March 18 a few years ago.

Edited by tdoukas, March 28 2021 - 7:57 AM.

#9 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 28 2021 - 11:01 AM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
I'm probably wrong, but different colors remind me of C.Vicinus.

I found an image on Google from Drew's C.vicinus journa (the first image). I'm not sure if it's actually Vicinus, but it matches the Gold/Black colors.

The second image is from iNaturalist, it's not the best, but I had a yellow/gold and black coloring to it.

Attached Images

• gallery_2_174_86774.jpg
  • large.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users