• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best price for prenolepis?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 2 2020 - 10:45 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I have a colony of prenolepis imparis (one queen, 6 workers, healthy brood pile) that I don’t really want. They are in a simple test tube setup (or they will be, once i find a way to get them out of their formicarium test tube thing). 

How rare are these, and what would be a fair price? (excluding shipping)

My YouTube channel :)

#2 Offline hakala847 - Posted December 3 2020 - 5:41 AM

hakala847

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA
I'll offer 20 dollars right now
  • Swirlysnowflake likes this

#3 Offline Devi - Posted December 3 2020 - 6:07 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I have a colony of prenolepis imparis (one queen, 6 workers, healthy brood pile) that I don’t really want. They are in a simple test tube setup (or they will be, once i find a way to get them out of their formicarium test tube thing). 

How rare are these, and what would be a fair price? (excluding shipping)

Yeah, 20 usd is probably reasonable.   I would buy for that price if I was in the market for prenolepis.  

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 3 2020 - 6:07 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

here, it could go for 20-30, but you might want to run an auction for it, as the price could go higher if it is rarer there.

• Devi likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 3 2020 - 8:24 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

you might want to research the prices in your area. In Sioux Falls, there is only 1 place to really find queens, so they are pretty rare here. your area might have more, who knows.

• Devi likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#6 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 3 2020 - 8:30 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

prenolepis have very big nuptial flights at times and are rarer in some places but because they are common in others more so than they are rare the price would drop significantly. Example- Acromyrmex versicolor are for one popular because ya know the whole leaf cutting thing, but also because you cannot find them easily and they did not fly this year, reasoning that they would be way over market price in california for even a small colony, someone such as cheeto believe me or not is actually selling them below market price. They are more common in arizona and cheeto caught around 90 queens. The factors involved determine the price, based on how I would look at those 25 or lower is a reasonable price and if you want them gone now, 15 is good.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this
We don’t talk about that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users