• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cheeto's Solenopsis aurea (Golden Fire Ants) (Updated 1/27)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted November 25 2020 - 7:47 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

POPULAR

Earlier this year I received this colony fragment as part of a trade with another keeper. He originally had a 14 queen colony, but split off a 4 queen group for me in exchange for a Novomessor cockerelli colony. When they came they had around 70-90 workers and a bit of late-stage brood. Here's a pic from right after getting them with all 4 queens.

IMG 20201005 232743153

Since then they haven't grown a ton, mostly due to the delay in generations (since all their brood was late-stage, they had no young brood and had to essentially skip a generation of workers) but are now right back on track with quite a lot of brood of all stages. They also seem to randomly produce alate larvae, but never let any pupate. I'm not exactly sure why, but my theory is that either one of the queens is infertile, or they keep trying to make alates before the workers realize the colony is too few in numbers and kill/eat the alate larvae before allowing them to pupate. Either way it doesn't seem to be a big deal as they still have plenty of worker brood.

IMG 20201123 231427424

Unfortunately, even with 4 queens, S. aurea are theorized to be a relatively slow-growing Solenopsis species, so these guys probably won't be able to get 20k workers in a year like my old 2 queen S. xyloni colony. Still, their awesome coloration makes it totally worth it, and it means that it'll be all the more rewarding when they do eventually grow to a larger size, not to mention that they really haven't been documented in captivity at all.

Edited by CheetoLord02, January 27 2021 - 12:26 AM.

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and 11 others like this

#2 Offline AleeGuy - Posted November 25 2020 - 7:56 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Noice choice

#3 Offline ExponentMars - Posted November 26 2020 - 9:23 AM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

they look really pretty with their yellow - orange - gold color

Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Crematogaster sp., Camponotus Ca02, Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist: 
Acromyrmex, novos, Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Lasius

#4 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 27 2020 - 6:55 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

what about the largest and smallest theif ant sp in the US?

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#5 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 27 2020 - 7:06 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

what about the largest and smallest theif ant sp in the US?

Both dropped dead ;(

We don’t talk about that

#6 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 28 2020 - 7:05 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

nooooooooooooooo

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 28 2020 - 7:07 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
My S. truncorum come somewhat close to smallest. Workers exactly 1mm(larger workers anyway), and the queen, 3mm on the dot.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#8 Offline ExponentMars - Posted December 4 2020 - 10:35 AM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Please update us on this colony again! I think that these fire ants are a really cool species 

Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Wishlist: 

#9 Offline ExponentMars - Posted December 4 2020 - 10:38 AM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Also, how big are the workers of these ants? 

Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Wishlist: 

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 4 2020 - 11:27 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Also, how big are the workers of these ants? 

2.5-6 millimeters.

#11 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 4 2020 - 11:42 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Update 12/4

This colony has still been doing well. They've now gotten enough brood to where it doesn't fit on the water tower anymore and instead just spills right off. I think it's also partially because I heat the left side of the nest, away from the water tower, but all of their pupae is kept right here in a big pile.

IMG 20201204 123550408

Most of the younger brood is still stored on the water tower. Funnily enough the queens don't really have a set resting area, but 2 of them just happened to be here for the picture.

IMG 20201204 123604992

They're also starting to get a few larger workers. Nothing too huge yet, but it's definitely a start. Theoretically, at the largest, they'll get majors that are approximately the same size as the queens.

IMG 20201204 123744704

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, Somethinghmm and 1 other like this

#12 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 4 2020 - 12:21 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Do these have a noticeable sting at all?

#13 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 4 2020 - 12:25 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Do these have a noticeable sting at all?

it's about the same as S. xyloni. Noticeable, but not awful.

#14 Online ZTYguy - Posted December 4 2020 - 12:28 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Wow. Soooooo Preeeeeettttttyyyyyyyy

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#15 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted January 3 2021 - 11:48 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

This colony, in true Solenopsis fashion, is growing like crazy. They're starting to burst at the seams of their mini hearth already. All 4 queens are still alive and well, which is a great sign to me.

IMG 20210103 121436503
IMG 20210103 121518304

I think for their next nest I'll be moving them into the Casita III that I used for my old S. xyloni colony. I know it works for Solenopsis, so why not? It'll probably still be a minute before I have to move them, but it's always good to plan ahead.

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and 3 others like this

#16 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 3 2021 - 3:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This makes me want to try Solenopis next year.
  • Devi likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#17 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted January 21 2021 - 4:05 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Update 1/21

I've been reducing feeding on these guys just a bit to keep them under control, however in spite of that they're finally allowing their alate brood to pupate! So far it's been only males, but I'm hoping there's some queen brood in there, since I think there's a high chance of them breeding in the nest. The original colony that my group was split off from was wild caught with 14 queens, however the wild colony had even more than that, so I think breeding in the nest is a huge possibility.

IMG 20210121 164655314
IMG 20210121 164710882

I'll probably end up moving them to a new nest one of these days, but for now the Mini Hearth is holding out well enough. I'll see what the move is in the coming weeks.

IMG 20210121 164715284

• AnthonyP163 and TennesseeAnts like this

#18 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 21 2021 - 6:26 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Wow, makes me wish I had these here in TN...

#19 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted January 27 2021 - 12:26 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Update 1/27

Even more alate pupae have been eclosing, and much to my surprise it looks like more queens than males! I'm really excited for them to eclose.

IMG 20210127 011835820
IMG 20210127 011931617

As you can probably also tell, I recently moved this colony into a Labyrinth from their Mini Hearth. It's a big upgrade, but with already 4 queens and the potential for them to inbreed I want to be ready. This nest should also be pretty easy to see them and count queens in case any more start popping up, and I'm really hoping I'll be lucky enough to capture in-nest mating on video, if it happens at all.

IMG 20210127 011829828
IMG 20210127 011916824

• Aaron567, AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts and 3 others like this

#20 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 27 2021 - 9:59 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Update 1/27

Even more alate pupae have been eclosing, and much to my surprise it looks like more queens than males! I'm really excited for them to eclose.

As you can probably also tell, I recently moved this colony into a Labyrinth from their Mini Hearth. It's a big upgrade, but with already 4 queens and the potential for them to inbreed I want to be ready. This nest should also be pretty easy to see them and count queens in case any more start popping up, and I'm really hoping I'll be lucky enough to capture in-nest mating on video, if it happens at all.

if they keep inbreeding, would this colony live as long as they inbreed and don't get harmed by anything?

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users