• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How much?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 18 2020 - 8:19 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

also, i might want to say we don't have tons here, at least compared to tapinoma. but i did find quite a few small colonies in the black hills. i never found the queens, though... :(

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#22 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 18 2020 - 8:20 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

there are actually not many here in South Dakota, actually

They are taking over my yard. I have barely any tomatoes left.

we have a temnothorax invasion in the black hills right now. probably under every stone there.(the ones the camponotus have not already claimed.)

luckyyy I've been looking for temnothorax for so long!

i am sorry, i meant tapinoma. but we do have temnothorax in the black hills as well. the hard part is finding the tiny queens...

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#23 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 19 2020 - 5:03 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

there are actually not many here in South Dakota, actually

They are taking over my yard. I have barely any tomatoes left.
we have a temnothorax invasion in the black hills right now. probably under every stone there.(the ones the camponotus have not already claimed.)
luckyyy I've been looking for temnothorax for so long!
i am sorry, i meant tapinoma. but we do have temnothorax in the black hills as well. the hard part is finding the tiny queens...
Finding a colony is a lot easier than finding a queen, but especially for this genus.

Edited by Kaelwizard, November 19 2020 - 5:04 AM.

#24 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 19 2020 - 5:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I had like 50-60 Temnothorax queens at my blacklight every night for about 2-3 weeks this summer.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#25 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 19 2020 - 9:00 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I had like 50-60 Temnothorax queens at my blacklight every night for about 2-3 weeks this summer.

ahhh lucky! are temnothorax just not as common in CA?

My YouTube channel :)

#26 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 19 2020 - 9:02 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I believe either there not common or everyone wants them that's why you don't see them anywhere, also in my yard Temnothorax are like monomorium and i found a colony with like 40 queens sitting on the surface not even counting what was underground, they literally murdered a apheanogaster colony in front of me.

We don’t talk about that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users