• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dog worm farm

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 10 2020 - 4:11 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

For some reason I have a feeling that everyone who watched the first one will also watch this one. And then complain about it.

• Zeiss, Barristan and AntsDakota like this

#42 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 10 2020 - 6:10 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

You guys may call me crazy but for some reason the video is oddly satisfying 

I don't call it satisfying, but I really don't see the point of creating a firestorm of a thread either.

• B_rad0806 and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#43 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 10 2020 - 6:12 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

For some reason I have a feeling that everyone who watched the first one will also watch this one. And then complain about it.

nope. i'm good. i am not watching either.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#44 Offline Devi - Posted December 10 2020 - 6:14 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

You guys may call me crazy but for some reason the video is oddly satisfying

Dr. Pimple Popper has almost 7M subscribers that are like you ;) Here is another one:https://youtu.be/ZXn...nhQyj9gfI Thereis also one in which the dog keeps eating the squeezed out maggots, so they must be nutritious.

I'm not familiar with this parasite, but I seriously doubt eating them is nutritious. Most times for worms and other parasites, eating them makes it sooooo much worse because what happens on the outside of their body, can happen inside. Not good.

#45 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 10 2020 - 6:40 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I'm not familiar with this parasite, but I seriously doubt eating them is nutritious. Most times for worms and other parasites, eating them makes it sooooo much worse because what happens on the outside of their body, can happen inside. Not good.

It is nutritious for the animal.  These are not the type of parasites that cause further infection by being eaten.  It's a maggot and has no possible way of reproducing.  You are wrong to state most times for worms and other parasites eating would make it worse.

• DDD101DDD and Fatatoille like this

#46 Offline Devi - Posted December 10 2020 - 7:06 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

It is nutritious for the animal.  These are not the type of parasites that cause further infection by being eaten.  It's a maggot and has no possible way of reproducing.  You are wrong to state most times for worms and other parasites eating would make it worse.

Interesting...  I didn't know that.  I suppose that is with the few parasites my dog has had, it was bad when they were eaten.  Thanks for sharing that, I didn't know that.  

Edited by Devi, December 10 2020 - 7:06 AM.

#47 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 10 2020 - 7:52 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Interesting...  I didn't know that.  I suppose that is with the few parasites my dog has had, it was bad when they were eaten.  Thanks for sharing that, I didn't know that.  

The worms which infect via eating, mosquito bites, or through the anus are parasitic worms in the Phylum Nematoda. Maggots are insects, and need to breath air. Nematode worms are in their adult form, while maggots are the larvae of flies. So technically it is not right to call maggots worms, as they are simply fly larvae. Just think- is eating parasitic ant larvae dangerous? No. Same with maggots.

Edited by AntsDakota, December 10 2020 - 7:53 AM.

• Devi likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#48 Offline Barristan - Posted December 10 2020 - 8:36 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

We could probably also eat them and they'd be quite nutritious for us. Also the chance of getting an infection is quite low even lower than if they were squeezed out of a human.

Our close relatives the apes also often groom each other and eat the parasites they find in the fur.

#49 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 10 2020 - 9:02 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

A good portion of entomologists would consider it an honor to raise their very own bot fly.  I know a few who have done that.

#50 Offline UtahAnts - Posted December 18 2020 - 8:53 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Mixed reactions, my love for fascinating insects competing with my primal instinct to burn those maggot things. I will jut pretend I never saw that...

Edited by AntsUtah, December 19 2020 - 10:52 AM.

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users