• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking for red fire ants in Virginia

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline EarnsYouMore - Posted March 30 2022 - 8:49 AM

EarnsYouMore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach
I'm looking for red fire ants.

Scientific name: Solenopsis invicta
Order: Hymenoptera
Family: Formicidae
Phylum: Arthropoda
Subfamily: Myrmicinae
Kingdom: Animalia

If your not sure of what I'm looking for them this wiki link will help https://en.m.wikiped...ported_fire_ant

If anyone have any for sale in Virginia then let me know or if you know how to ship them then let me know.

I'm also looking for colony's with multiple queens so any polygyne colony's that already have multiple queens.

Just if you have any for then then let me know and might be something I'm looking for.

What might work best is if have ants then let me know and I might buy them.

Thanks

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 30 2022 - 9:08 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Nobody in their right mind would sell you invicta, as they are extremely invasive. Not to mention the fact that they’re already well established in your state and you could easily find them yourself.
  • Tai_pan1 likes this

#3 Offline OiledOlives - Posted March 30 2022 - 9:41 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Nobody in their right mind would sell you invicta, as they are extremely invasive. Not to mention the fact that they’re already well established in your state and you could easily find them yourself.

There are four records of S. invicta in Virginia Beach on iNaturalist. Writing that all invicta sellers are not "in their right mind... as they are extremely invasive." does not make sense to me, as invasive species are sold everywhere in the hobby. 

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 30 2022 - 10:48 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
What i meant is that invicta are such a common species that nobody even bothers selling them, and it would be easier for him to collect a queen himself from a colony or in one of their massive nuptial flights. Also selling invicta is still quite controversial in the hobby compared to other invasives.

Edited by Manitobant, March 30 2022 - 10:49 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and Tai_pan1 like this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 30 2022 - 10:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You should have no trouble finding a queen on your own with a little effort. I think they are common in southern parts of our state.
  • Antkeeper01 and Tai_pan1 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted March 30 2022 - 11:13 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

I'm looking for red fire ants.

Scientific name: Solenopsis invicta
Order: Hymenoptera
Family: Formicidae
Phylum: Arthropoda
Subfamily: Myrmicinae
Kingdom: Animalia

If your not sure of what I'm looking for them this wiki link will help https://en.m.wikiped...ported_fire_ant

If anyone have any for sale in Virginia then let me know or if you know how to ship them then let me know.

I'm also looking for colony's with multiple queens so any polygyne colony's that already have multiple queens.

Just if you have any for then then let me know and might be something I'm looking for.

What might work best is if have ants then let me know and I might buy them.

Thanks

Seems like you're looking for a polygynous colony of Solenopsis invicta as well. I'm sorry to disappoint you here, but there's no Solenopsis invicta population in Virginia that accept more than one queen after the initial founding process🤷‍♂️ Also, I don't think there's anyone in Virginia who sells invicta. Especially since there's a border line made to seperate the North from the South to limit the spread of the species,of which, you can't move invicta over this border without a permit and that's EXTREMELY hard to get for invicta.
  • Tai_pan1 likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#7 Offline OiledOlives - Posted March 30 2022 - 4:21 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

What i meant is that invicta are such a common species that nobody even bothers selling them, and it would be easier for him to collect a queen himself from a colony or in one of their massive nuptial flights. Also selling invicta is still quite controversial in the hobby compared to other invasives.

Again, iNat only has four records for the species in Virginia Beach, which is extremely low compared to the many observations of other species there are in the region.

#8 Offline Tai_pan1 - Posted March 30 2022 - 4:35 PM

Tai_pan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationGoose Creek, South Carolina, USA

Living in SC, I can say that I love ants…..except for fire ants.  They are a nuisance at best and almost impossible to kill.

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 31 2022 - 5:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Fire ant colonies grow extremely fast. Imagine having a large colony that empties their liquid feeder every few days. You will need to brush hundreds of stinging ants off it every time you refill. Repeat that every three days as long as you have the colony. They are also very skilled at escaping. I would definitely NOT recommend keeping this species unless you enjoy lots of stress, aggravation, and stings.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users