• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cheeto's Atta mexicana

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 23 2020 - 7:09 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

maybe one day maybe one day

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#62 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 23 2020 - 7:27 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

i also love the green plant fiber! also, thanks for the constant updates!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#63 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted November 28 2020 - 3:40 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Update 11/28

Blastoff! The Atta, after finally getting their favorite food, clovers, again after at least a week of me not bothering to collect any for them, have taken to the stars! Or at least the top of the container. They're only around a millimeter a way from hitting the lid of their nest for the first time since they were moved out of their deli cup founding nest.

IMG 20201128 071130957 HDR
IMG 20201128 071204488 HDR

As of a few days ago, I noticed some seriously chubby larvae showing up. They have since been buried in the fungus again, but I'm excited to see what the next generation of workers is going to look like! Bigger workers will always be welcome in this colony, and I'm already getting ready to start seeing some massive soldiers!

IMG 20201125 073455513 HDR
IMG 20201125 074513215

• AnthonyP163, Karma, Somethinghmm and 6 others like this

#64 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 28 2020 - 4:15 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

so cool

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#65 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 28 2020 - 6:30 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I know what type of container your using and I have used them before, the fact that they are only around 50-60 workers or less and are filling up that thing is crazy. 

We don’t talk about that

#66 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 29 2020 - 8:26 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

What kind of more permanent setup do you think you'll do for them? Taking any ideas from europeans? The most common one I've seen europeans use, is a huge tank filled with water that is heated. Then they are usually set on large platforms in the middle with a water pump so the water is always moving. The platforms (how many depends how big the tank is) are connected with large sticks or whatever they want to use to connect them. Then a closed off lid of some kind. So its always warm and humid. Usually they put tropical fish in it but sometimes nothing at all. Seems the most successful setup, though its the most successful setup for beginners (which obviously you are not). Despite it being probably the easiest setup, the ants sometimes fall in (especially when the colony gets huge) and get eaten by the fish. So it definitely has that negative, its just what they recommend for beginners. There is a lot more advanced setups they use that see success as well, that look cooler and more advanced which probably be more fitting in this case. Depending how much money you want to spend and how much room you have.

Edited by Vendayn, November 29 2020 - 8:30 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#67 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 3 2020 - 1:28 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

POPULAR

Update 12/3

Since the last update there has been some pretty significant fungus growth, just unfortunately in all the wrong spots. After reaching the lid of the container they decided to grow the fungus outwards... starting from the top. 

IMG 20201203 021246500 HDR
IMG 20201203 021058450

I mean seriously. This fungus is bound to collapse any day now. Atta are many things, but I'll tell you right now they're definitely not architects. I don't really know what their plan is, but I'd imagine within a few days now their garden is going to come tumbling down. Every time I rotate the container for pics it wobbles like crazy, and honestly I'm kinda surprised that alone hasn't knocked it over yet. It's gotten so topheavy and unbalanced that even the little anchor they originally made on the side of the container got completely ripped apart!

IMG 20201203 020957251 HDR

Today's feedings consisted of lettuce, clovers, and this pink flower that grows locally that the ants really like. 

IMG 20201202 121623872

One worker was trying to bring a clover leaf up to the upper part of the fungus, and a minim decided to hitch a ride! Watching my Atta's random and quirky moments is one of my favorite things ever.

IMG 20201202 121558947

Even if/when the fungus does end up collapsing, It's not a huge worry to me. The queen sits on the side that wouldn't be hitting the ground, so I'm sure she'd be fine, and once that happens hopefully it'll end up being more sturdy as a whole, since it'll have a far wider base. I think by then as well the colony will start getting close to the point where they'll be ready to move as well! I've got a new, semi-permanent setup in the works, so stay tuned for that!

IMG 20201203 021131476 HDR

Edited by CheetoLord02, December 3 2020 - 1:39 AM.

• mmcguffi, AnthonyP163, SoySauce and 13 others like this

#68 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 3 2020 - 8:01 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

what are you thinking of for a new setup?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#69 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 3 2020 - 8:07 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

A lot of people just use those little containers over and over again because there basically perfect set ups.

Edit: the brand he uses makes bigger ones, the current size now is 4x4x4 and there are some that are like 4x4x8

Edited by KitsAntVa, December 3 2020 - 8:08 AM.

• Ants_Dakota and Swirlysnowflake like this
We don’t talk about that

#70 Offline mmcguffi - Posted December 3 2020 - 8:31 AM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Is the lettuce/other produce you use store-bought? I know organic produce can still have insecticides/fungicides so is there anything special you do to insure you don't accidentally nuke your colony?

Also just curious -- is the box 4x4x4" like @Kits said, and how large are your tubes?

Really great journal, thanks for keeping us updated!

• TennesseeAnts and OhNoNotAgain like this

#71 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 3 2020 - 9:13 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I have tones of clovers in my backyard so i'll see if my Acromyrmex will take them.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#72 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 3 2020 - 9:15 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Is the lettuce/other produce you use store-bought? I know organic produce can still have insecticides/fungicides so is there anything special you do to insure you don't accidentally nuke your colony?

Also just curious -- is the box 4x4x4" like @Kits said, and how large are your tubes?

Really great journal, thanks for keeping us updated!

I was also curious about this. I think part of the reason my Trachymyrmex colony's fungus died out was due to the store-bought substrate.

#73 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 3 2020 - 10:15 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Their current container is 4x4x4 inches. The next size up is 8 long, 4 wide, and 8 tall, so 4x the space. I'm going to pre-drill holes so that essentially it will be infinitely expandable, and hopefully I will be able to hydrate it without opening the lid as well. I'll also be repurposing their current outworld as a designated trash chamber and giving them a much larger outworld. 

The lettuce I use is just store-bought. So far it's been totally fine to use. Couldn't tell you a specific brand. Of course it's mostly a dietary supplement as it's really not very nutrient-dense, it's just very easy to obtain and the ants never refuse it. I would never rely on lettuce alone for feeding them. 

I really appreciate all the support on this and all my other journals! As long as they're still being enjoyed by everybody the updates will just keep coming!

• mmcguffi, AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts and 5 others like this

#74 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 3 2020 - 10:16 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Their current container is 4x4x4 inches. The next size up is 8 long, 4 wide, and 8 tall, so 4x the space. I'm going to pre-drill holes so that essentially it will be infinitely expandable, and hopefully I will be able to hydrate it without opening the lid as well. I'll also be repurposing their current outworld as a designated trash chamber and giving them a much larger outworld. 

The lettuce I use is just store-bought. So far it's been totally fine to use. Couldn't tell you a specific brand. Of course it's mostly a dietary supplement as it's really not very nutrient-dense, it's just very easy to obtain and the ants never refuse it. I would never rely on lettuce alone for feeding them. 

I really appreciate all the support on this and all my other journals! As long as they're still being enjoyed by everybody the updates will just keep coming!

how will the ants know the new thing is a trash chamber? my ants always put trash where ever i don't want them too!

#75 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 3 2020 - 10:45 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

They can have a outworld, nest, and trash site. Usually you leave the trash site empty with nothing but fresh air flowing through and they put their poopoo in there, for the out world just grout\plaster down some decoration or not and add leaves or flowers.

We don’t talk about that

#76 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 4 2020 - 4:19 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

POPULAR

Update 12/4

I wasn't expecting to make another update so quick, but it happened! The fungus collapsed!

IMG 20201204 042326246 HDR

I knew it was bound to happen, but this was way faster than I expected!

Now, I wasn't a fan of how it was sitting, so I decided to do a little bit of adjustment. It was really quick and easy to do so, and this is what it looks like at it's current resting point right now.

IMG 20201204 043100889 HDR

Apart from a little spook, the queen is totally fine after the collapse. While I had the lid open for the adjustment, I decided to snap some pics.

IMG 20201204 042943560

Do you notice it? To the left of the queen? Well, it would seem those giant larvae from before have pupated into giant pupae! Just look at the size of this thing!

IMG 20201204 042936833 HDR
IMG 20201204 042933775 HDR

I was only able to see the one, but I saw at least 4 giant larvae before, so I'll assume there's at least 3 more pupae of this size hiding somewhere in the fungus. It'll be so awesome when they eclose and start walking around! I'm also looking forward to seeing how they decide to grow their fungus now that it's suddenly rotated 90 degrees. At least now it won't be collapsing again!

• AnthonyP163, SoySauce, Karma and 10 others like this

#77 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted December 4 2020 - 7:01 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

wow

#78 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 4 2020 - 7:09 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

can't wait for those big majors to hatch! that will be awesome!

#79 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 8 2020 - 12:03 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Update 12/08

Ever since the collapse the colony has been going superspeed on the growth again! It must be an instinct to "repair" after the garden fell, despite no fungus actually being damaged at all. 

IMG 20201208 124237384

So far primarily the former top of the garden has been getting all of the growths, I assume because the fungus there is younger and more open to feeding. However, slowly, the growths are creeping to the older section of the fungus, and I'm sure I'll start seeing growths there soon enough.

IMG 20201208 124321997

The fungus has also now latched against the wall, but this time I don't see these anchors getting ripped apart until the day I move the colony to their new setup.

IMG 20201208 124303035 HDR

The queen also has a new hiding spot, at least for now. She has squeezed inbetween some of the new growths to the point where I can barely see her.

IMG 20201208 124339449

I have also seen at least 2 more of the huge pupae from before, but neither seemed close to eclosing. I hope before the 16th they do end up eclosing, because at that time I'll be going back to Illinois for 2 weeks to visit family. Right when I get back is when this colony will finally be moved to their new setup, which I'm super excited for. This setup is getting harder and harder to get good pics in (as you can probably tell), and watching them grow to fill up a totally new container is going to be great!

• AnthonyP163, Karma, TennesseeAnts and 6 others like this

#80 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 8 2020 - 12:07 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

will someone feed them while you are gone?

• Miketheawesome likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users