• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cheeto's Atta mexicana

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#201 Offline Antkeeper_21 - Posted July 21 2021 - 8:07 AM

Antkeeper_21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouthampton, England

And it's expensive, even a complete 'checklist' of A.C products cost around £200 maybe more with delivery

No offense but if you considered using AntsCanada products for Atta you probably aren’t ready for them.

And it's expensive, even a complete 'checklist' of A.C products cost around £200 maybe more with delivery

Honestly I doubt any antscanada products are suited for Atta, a setup like the one shown in this journal is perfectly fine and far cheaper. The ants themselves can get quite expensive though(to my knowledge)

I'm don't want Atta as my 1st colony since:
1. No experience
2. Grow to few million when allowed

Btw I meant to use antscanada stuff for Lasius N. then Solenopsis

Then with enough experience, Atta colony shall be mine (ofcourse I need to buy them and they aren't cheap)
  • Antkeeper01 and cap_backfire like this

#202 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 21 2021 - 10:39 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

No offense but if you considered using AntsCanada products for Atta you probably aren’t ready for them.

Honestly I doubt any antscanada products are suited for Atta, a setup like the one shown in this journal is perfectly fine and far cheaper. The ants themselves can get quite expensive though(to my knowledge)

1. No experience

Then with enough experience, Atta colony shall be mine (ofcourse I need to buy them and they aren't cheap)

Granted, I'm new but I haven't had any problems with AntsCanada stuff except that they are SUPER slow to ship, despite having relatively high shipping costs.   
Also granted, all I've used is their tubes ( which I LOVE the anti-rolling functionality) and their test tube portals, along with some connectors for tubes.   So far no problems but my ant species are pretty basic.   

#203 Offline Antkeeper_21 - Posted July 21 2021 - 10:45 AM

Antkeeper_21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I'm going to be honest, I want Attas BADLY but since they are vegetarians, I'll never find perfect plants for them, unless they like grass :P
  • cap_backfire likes this

#204 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 21 2021 - 11:46 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I'm going to be honest, I want Attas BADLY but since they are vegetarians, I'll never find perfect plants for them, unless they like grass :P

I saw a grass cutting leaf cutter species in a documentary but I’m not sure if it was Atta or something else. Not sure that you would be able to buy them from anyone anyway.

#205 Offline Antkeeper_21 - Posted July 21 2021 - 11:55 AM

Antkeeper_21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

I saw a grass cutting leaf cutter species in a documentary but I’m not sure if it was Atta or something else. Not sure that you would be able to buy them from anyone anyway.

Must be Atta, just dk which

#206 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 21 2021 - 12:19 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

1. No experience

still A.C product arent very good aus ants are much better

• Antkeeper_21 likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#207 Offline Antkeeper_21 - Posted July 21 2021 - 12:23 PM

Antkeeper_21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

1. No experience

still A.C product arent very good aus ants are much better

Might give it a shot

#208 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 21 2021 - 12:35 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I mean, check out the beginning of this journal.   These mugs eat EVERYTHING (leaf related)!   If I could get them I definitely would try them out.  The different sized workers and queen are SO dramatic, it would be amazing to see in person.   

#209 Offline Antkeeper_21 - Posted July 21 2021 - 12:42 PM

Antkeeper_21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
You are correct, but i don't think my parents will allow it tho

#210 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 21 2021 - 12:50 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I mean... absolutely.  I have a basement "Fortress of Solitude" that my wife never visits so honestly... she didn't know I even HAD ants for a few months.   Of course I ruined it by telling her I needed her to order honey "for my ants" when she ordered groceries.   "YOU HAVE ANTS IN OUR HOUSE"   Um... Yeah.   I didn't tell you?  I swear I thought I told you... Strange.. HAHAHAHA

She accepted it but... she's not happy about it.  

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#211 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 21 2021 - 1:07 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Most likely an Acromyrmex species.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#212 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted July 21 2021 - 1:08 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and 4 others like this

#213 Offline Antkeeper_21 - Posted July 21 2021 - 1:10 PM

Antkeeper_21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

I mean... absolutely.  I have a basement "Fortress of Solitude" that my wife never visits so honestly... she didn't know I even HAD ants for a few months.   Of course I ruined it by telling her I needed her to order honey "for my ants" when she ordered groceries.   "YOU HAVE ANTS IN OUR HOUSE"   Um... Yeah.   I didn't tell you?  I swear I thought I told you... Strange.. HAHAHAHA

She accepted it but... she's not happy about it.

I mean that my parents know I want to keep ants, but since I live in a flat temporarily, I'm not allowed but once we find a good house, 'Operation Antkeeping ' is a go
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#214 Offline Antkeeper_21 - Posted July 21 2021 - 1:11 PM

Antkeeper_21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Any escapees? And impressive VERY

#215 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 22 2021 - 12:08 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

1. No experience

Granted, I'm new but I haven't had any problems with AntsCanada stuff except that they are SUPER slow to ship, despite having relatively high shipping costs.
Also granted, all I've used is their tubes ( which I LOVE the anti-rolling functionality) and their test tube portals, along with some connectors for tubes. So far no problems but my ant species are pretty basic.

Anti roll for test tubes can easily be achieved with the very useful paperclip . You shouldn't waste money on those overpriced plastic pieces. And a lot of the products can be easily DIYed. The only AC thing that I feel is good is the Omni Nest and AC Tower. But still quite overpriced.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • MinigunL5 likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#216 Offline Antkeeper_21 - Posted July 22 2021 - 12:31 AM

Antkeeper_21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

I’m thinking of buying aus ants products instead of AC 

• ANTS_KL likes this

#217 Offline NicholasP - Posted July 22 2021 - 10:18 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

AC towers are awful. The only thing that I like that they have are their hybrid nests.

• TennesseeAnts and Antkeeper01 like this

#218 Offline NicholasP - Posted July 22 2021 - 10:20 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

So I just say build your own nests because in the end its a great amount of money you can save.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#219 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 22 2021 - 11:06 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I think it's so cool to see the unique setups people get with their DIY stuff.   So much creativity and honestly some of them are downright genius.   

This thread makes me want atta SO BAD.   

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#220 Offline Antkeeper_21 - Posted July 22 2021 - 1:25 PM

Antkeeper_21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

So I just say build your own nests because in the end its a great amount of money you can save.

I think it's so cool to see the unique setups people get with their DIY stuff.   So much creativity and honestly some of them are downright genius.   

This thread makes me want atta SO BAD.

I would love to make my own DIY nests/ outworlds but I'm still young and don't trust myself ( I'll think it will look ugly )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users