• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Best way to contain small ants like Tetramorium....

24 replies to this topic

#21 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted Yesterday, 10:00 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

They were invading the Camponotus bins AGAIN so yes, trying mineral oil.  :mad:

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#22 Online ANTdrew - Posted Yesterday, 10:18 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

That's awful. Could you also set the formicarium on a tray of water/vinegar solution? A small disposable baking pan would work.

You may want to consider moving them out of that formicarium.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25   I <3 tiny ants

#23 Offline TechAnt - Posted Yesterday, 12:37 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Why not destroy the tetras and feed their brood to the colonies they have attacked mwahahahahahaha!

Can I ask why you want to keep the tetras? I think there are far more interesting ants out there. If you want to keep them, I'd suggest a moat of water around their set-up, as somebody who has experienced small ants saying 'oo la de da I shall escape' moments a lot (I'm looking at my Pheidole) I'd suggest that.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Pheidole californica 100-50 workers, 4 Queens
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~lots and lots of brood / ~too many workers, 1 Queen
(x8) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x5) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~15 workers, 1 Queen

A little topic I'm working on: https://www.formicul...ve/#entry164553

#24 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted Yesterday, 5:00 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

well, tetramorium is basically mini the mini pogonomyrmex. they grow just as fast, but are just smaller and less brilliantly colored. some people love their aggressive behavior, some hate their growth speed and keeping up to it. it just depends on the person.

i am keeping t. immigrans right now.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Journal Here

My Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

Learn about our website AntsDakota, and help us develop and publish it!

Join our Discord, where you can discuss your anting ideas in peace!

#25 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted Yesterday, 6:36 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Well Tetramorium was the first ant colony I got last year, when I re-started antkeeping, and I did grow them from tiny to overgrown, and they've had all sorts of adventures, so I'm kinda loathe to ditch them. They are a good colony to make mistakes on. Anyway IF I ever get to do another ant science class demonstration, they are great for showing kids size contrast (Tetras vs. Titans lol).

In other news, I applied mineral oil (food grade, by the way) and NO ANTS ARE EATING IT. Apparently they've decided it's inedible. I guess that's a good thing?! They seem to be avoiding it. YAY!

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, Yesterday, 6:37 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users