• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

DISCONTINUED

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 28 2015 - 11:43 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

In my experience if the ants are hungry enough, they will eat anything. Once they take Blue 100 once they will not turn it down as easy again.

#22 Offline William. T - Posted August 29 2015 - 9:02 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Ants do need protein. Blue contains it. However, I find some ants do not like the texture. "Too moist, too solid" ect.  

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#23 Offline Runner12 - Posted August 29 2015 - 11:08 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Interesting experiment today, came across a C. chromaiodes colony with about 25 workers in the yard in a dead log, since I'd busted their nest open and the queen was right there, I went ahead and collected them.  I offered them the same batch of FB that I've been offering my colonies raised from queens and they went nuts for it.  They're all over it.  I haven't even moved them out of the soda bottle I collected them in yet

So why don't my others want it?  Odd to think of ants being "spoiled" with honey and sugar water, is that really what's happening?  Going to try adding sugar and see what that does here soon.

Edited by Runner12, August 29 2015 - 11:09 PM.

• drtrmiller likes this

#24 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 29 2015 - 11:24 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
It is not uncommon to see what you described with wild colonies.

I do not have a good answer for why ants sometimes refuse the food, but other times devour the same food.

I'm confident the answer will come with much more observation and experimentation.

Best of luck!

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#25 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 7 2015 - 7:06 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Blue 100 is currently sold out worldwide.

Several suppliers for key ingredients are out of stock until mid October, but I may be able to source the ingredient elsewhere.

Batch 1030 was very well received, so I will be manufacturing enough for 9-12 months of supply as soon as all the ingredients are sourced.  With this large a manufacturing run involving thousands of dollars in ingredients and packaging supplies, there is additional planning involved.

With your continued support of our products and research, we're getting closer to a ready-to-use product that eliminates the prep stage of Blue 100.  I've started discussing with contract manufacturers the possibilities for prepping and packaging such a product, but the minimum production runs are like 10,000 units, so I'd like to continue to optimize the formula over the next year or two before committing to this.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#26 Offline Billy - Posted September 8 2015 - 5:28 AM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationIsle of Wight, England

I am interested in this product. Is it likely to become available in the UK in the future?

#27 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 8 2015 - 6:58 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Yes, I sent a few to the UK with the last shipment a few months ago, and they sold out very quickly.

With the upcoming master batch, I'll be able to send a large enough quantity so they will not sell out as quickly.

#28 Offline Billy - Posted September 8 2015 - 7:17 AM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationIsle of Wight, England

Awesome, thanks for your response. 

#29 Offline Roachant - Posted September 8 2015 - 8:36 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
I'm also interested in getting some blue. I'll wait for October

#30 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 24 2015 - 1:32 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Will this also be available next week?

#31 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 30 2015 - 2:21 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The current batch is almost complete and should be available early next week.

#32 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 6 2015 - 6:24 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

• drtrmiller and klawfran3 like this

#33 Offline klawfran3 - Posted October 6 2015 - 6:34 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

What species is that? They look almost alien with those big black eyes they have.

______

Also when the product comes back in stock, will it be back for sale on Amazon?

Edited by klawfran3, October 6 2015 - 6:36 PM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#34 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 6 2015 - 6:47 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

What species is that? They look almost alien with those big black eyes they have.

______

Myrmecocystus mexicanus?

And yes, it will be sold on Amazon (US, UK, DE), but will also be available on http://www.byformica.com

Edited by drtrmiller, October 6 2015 - 6:47 PM.

• Subverted likes this

#35 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 6 2015 - 7:24 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

______

Myrmecocystus mexicanus.

#36 Offline klawfran3 - Posted October 19 2015 - 12:45 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Hi there,

Is the new batch for sale yet? If so, is there a link to where I could buy it? Amazon says everything is out of stock.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#37 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 19 2015 - 2:34 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Shipment is en route to a California distribution center. Will be received and available for sale by early next week.

#38 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 28 2015 - 8:51 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

All current byFormica accessory items are now available on Amazon.com for US customers, including Formula Blue 100

The description of Formula Blue 100 has been modified to reflect changes to how the product is packaged, and how it is intended to be used.

Summary of changes:

• Net weight of powder has increased by 17%, with the entire jar yielding about 250 ml of prepared product (seven servings @ 35 ml)
  • Single-serve packets have been replaced by a single glass jar with phenolic teflon lid, desiccants, and oxygen absorbers to keep the product fresh even after opening
  • A 0.1 gram scale is recommended for proper use, although a special scoop is included for rough measurement of serving size
  • The instruction booklet language has been modified for a more scientific audience

Formicariums, including a few GlassBox foraging areas will also be available on Amazon the 1st or 2nd week of November.

Edited by drtrmiller, October 28 2015 - 8:53 AM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#39 Offline Crystals - Posted October 29 2015 - 6:13 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Have you ever considered making a Blue 100 paste?  That comes in a syringe like tube and can easily be dispensed a little at a time?

Convenience - like sliced bread.  Sure I can cut bread, sometimes I can even cut it straight or close to the right width, but in the end I prefer sliced bread because I, like many people, are love conveniece (ok, yes, it does eventually come down to somewhat lazy).

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#40 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 29 2015 - 8:17 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
There is no market for hot filling 10,000 packs in a production run of this or any other ant product known to man, which is the minimum I've been quoted.

If someone has contacts in the product packaging industry that can negotiate a very short pilot run of such a product, since it needs to be sterilized going into the sterile container, they should contact me.

Edited by drtrmiller, October 29 2015 - 8:18 AM.

• Crystals likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users