• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ponerine's springtails

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2021 - 7:13 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
And I literally just saw one hunt and kill a large springtail. Really cool!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#82 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 23 2021 - 5:05 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Neanura are doing good.

CSC_5383.JPG

Morulina eggs hatched after a month.

CSC_5552.JPG

Arrhopalitidae are doing great, and are the only glob I have left.

CSC_5401.JPG

Beat 3 new species from trees, all species of Bourletiella.

Bourletiella arvalis.

CSC_5487.JPG

CSC_5497.JPG

B. hortensis.

CSC_5529.JPG

B. jaunitae.

CSC_5538.JPG

CSC_5505.JPG

Not attempting to keep any of these until I can get all of the local terrestrial species down. One year messing with this stuff and I only have reliable cultures of 6 or so species... Summer is gonna be a period of inactivity other than maintaining my current species and trying to culture the local dry loving entomobryomorphs. They've been surprisingly difficult to pin down.

• ANTdrew likes this

#83 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 24 2021 - 2:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You’re back!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#84 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 14 2021 - 8:16 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Not many changes so far, although my Sinella curviseta have taken a hit in population for some reason (maybe because I keep harvesting from them for arthropod food, woops). The onychiuridae have all tunneled into the brick mixture and are now estivating for the summer despite very low temperatures. Heres some beautiful wild springtails, not culturing any of these just yet.

What I believe to be one of the west's Seira mess, absolutely gorgeous.

CSC_0748.JPG

Entomobrya, maybe? Not sure how to differentiate the small genera, but the pattern here is nice.

CSC_0741.JPG

Probably the same species I've been finding around the house. Still not sure what they are but they remain nice to look at.

CSC_0764.JPG

And a blood red glob. Only seen this species once before, quite a surprise find. Was unable to get better pictures before it escaped.

CSC_0594.JPG

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users