• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Well, it's about that time again...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Devi - Posted September 29 2020 - 9:55 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

We all know that feeling when it's starting to get colder, and we know that diapause will have to happen soon.  It's about that time this year.  :(  I thought I'd make a thread on things we were planning on doing during winter to still stay connected to FC and anting in general.  

Although I'm sad I won't be able to find any more queens, I have lots of plans this winter!  I am currently trying to start making formicariums to use and possibly sell.  I'm working on a couple prototypes right now, and I will post pictures once I complete them.  I am really excited to start working on them, and will update soon.   

What about you guys?  What are you guys doing this winter?  (can be ant-related, or just travel plans etc)

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 29 2020 - 9:58 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

WORK ON ANTSDAKOTA!!! winter will give me so much time to work! i am so excited. also work on my formicariums and i am thinking of expanding my horizon for different kinds of formicariums during winter. 

• ConcordAntman, AntsDakota and Devi like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#3 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 29 2020 - 10:01 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

sadly it is that time but i plan on trying to dig up a picture of my first queen. it looked like a festinatus queen it had a brownish head and yellow body, i haven't seen any in my yard so i guess i'm doing that this year, you know you can always find some winter ants or prenolepis because they come out in winter. bad thing is your honey will freeze.

We don’t talk about that

#4 Offline Devi - Posted September 29 2020 - 10:15 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

WORK ON ANTSDAKOTA!!! winter will give me so much time to work! i am so excited. also work on my formicariums and i am thinking of expanding my horizon for different kinds of formicariums during winter. 

YES!  I am so excited to have extra time to help expand too!

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 29 2020 - 10:15 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

YES!  I am so excited to have extra time to help expand too!

You have been such a big help! Thank you!

• AntsDakota and Devi like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#6 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 29 2020 - 10:17 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
I guess for Christmas I’m going to get some THA stuff to get for my colony’s growth next year so I don’t have to worry about it. I feel bad about getting the stuff though you’ll figure it out on my last update of my Pogonomyrmex colony :( Around my third year of ant keeping maybe even fourth.

Edited by KitsAntVa, September 29 2020 - 10:17 AM.

• AntsDakota, Ants_Dakota and Devi like this
We don’t talk about that

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 29 2020 - 10:26 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
This winter I'm going to go to greenhouses in hopes of locating more exotics, and I'm also gonna be taking care of the exotics i already have from greenhouses. In January however i will be waking all my natives up and there will be some BIG parasite journals if everything goes well.
  • AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, ConcordAntman and 1 other like this

#8 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted September 29 2020 - 11:05 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I'm just about to use up the last of my feeder insects so diapause couldn't come at a better time! When I look at the number of colonies folks are listing, I'm amazed. I'm worn out just tending the four I have! I've got no big plans for winter other than hoping all my colonies survive diapause and figuring out how to encourage my C. americanus and C. novaeboracensis to "live long and prosper!"

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this

#9 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 29 2020 - 11:06 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I'm just about to use up the last of my feeder insects so diapause couldn't come at a better time! When I look at the number of colonies folks are listing, I'm amazed. I'm worn out just tending the four I have! I've got no big plans for winter other than hoping all my colonies survive diapause and figuring out how to encourage my C. americanus and C. novaeboracensis to "live long and prosper!"

i love my c novaeboracensis. they are so cool. hopefully yours will live long and prosper!

• ConcordAntman, AntsDakota and Devi like this

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 30 2020 - 4:02 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

It got to over 100 here today

#11 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 30 2020 - 4:04 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

It got to over 100 here today

it is hitting ~70 here right now, but we are about to go way down.

• Devi likes this

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 30 2020 - 5:42 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m going to keep my Pheidole and Nylanderia going through the winter this year. Other than that, I’ll just focus on house plants, propagating native plants, and feeding birds in my yard. I ordered two ant books to read as well, a new one by EO Wilson, and an old one from 1957. I really hope we have a cold and snowy winter this year.
  • TennesseeAnts, ConcordAntman, Ants_Dakota and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#13 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted October 1 2020 - 4:25 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

EO Wilson has a new book! What is it???

• ANTdrew likes this

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 1 2020 - 6:47 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

EO Wilson has a new book! What is it???

Yes! I ordered Tales from the Antworld by EO Wilson and Ways of the Ant by John Crompton.
  • ConcordAntman likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 2 2020 - 5:00 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I plan to yet again double (at least) the size of my Pogonomyrmex colony over the winter (well, I suppose it won't be me exactly, but.......).

• Devi likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#16 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 2 2020 - 5:08 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

So i can keep my Pogonomyrmex going through winter?

• Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#17 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 2 2020 - 5:09 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

if you want to.

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 2 2020 - 5:09 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I don't see a problem with it. Although they can be hibernated if you want, though I doubt it's as necessary as with local species.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#19 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 2 2020 - 5:10 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Welp time to wake me Pogonomyrmex up and put them on some heat for the winter!

We don’t talk about that

#20 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 2 2020 - 5:12 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

and watch them grow!

• AntsDakota and Devi like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users