• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Firebrick Formicarium

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2022 - 2:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I have not.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#42 Offline westhollywoodant - Posted June 23 2022 - 6:47 AM

westhollywoodant

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I have not.

How long did you use it? Why did you stop using it?

Edited by westhollywoodant, June 23 2022 - 6:47 AM.

#43 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2022 - 9:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Hydrating is the issue. Itโ€™s a big guessing game. It is much better to learn how to make mesh covered water towers.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#44 Offline westhollywoodant - Posted June 23 2022 - 5:07 PM

westhollywoodant

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I already have made those, thatโ€™s easy ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿค™๐Ÿผ
So how long did you use your firebrick formicarium?
What species did you keep in it drew?

#45 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2022 - 6:17 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I kept a Camponotus chromaiodes colony in one for about six weeks.

#46 Offline westhollywoodant - Posted June 23 2022 - 6:52 PM

westhollywoodant

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Oh ok. And they didnโ€™t do well in it? You had deaths?

#47 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2022 - 6:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They freaked out every time I watered the thing and chose to live in the outworld. I said, screw it, and move them into a THA mini-hearth. I have a journal on here about it somewhere.
  • antgallery likes this

#48 Offline westhollywoodant - Posted June 23 2022 - 9:36 PM

westhollywoodant

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Oh dang. Ok interesting and good to know. I will update with my results working with it ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

#49 Offline UtahAnts - Posted June 25 2022 - 11:50 AM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

This thread is couple years old so curious, have you guys had any long term success with a firebrick formicarium? 

I've made a couple over the years from K-23 and most ants just simply prefer other materials. I've kept Crematogaster and Formica species in Firebrick, and both colonies did better in other formicaria. As the ants live in the nest, silica dust (which is harmful to the workers and certain stages of brood development) will accumulate, eventually leading to a sluggish colony with no brood. The low humidity of the material is also another factor contributing to low brood development. 

I would also advise against soaking the brick with a live colony inside to hydrate the nest. Any water in the brick will be saturated with the aforementioned silica particles, which will harm or even kill the workers who drink the water. Because of this, I would recommend a water tower over direct hydration for FireBrick. Providing additional water sources in the outworld may allow species who don't chew the nest up to be kept long term in K-23 FireBrick.

One possible solution to the loose silica dust would be to coat the interior of the firebrick chambers with grout or something similar in order to limit direct exposure to the dust. I wish you luck with your colony. Your formicarium looks amazing!

Here's a guide for K-23 nests for future readers

• ANTdrew and aznphenom like this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#50 Offline westhollywoodant - Posted June 25 2022 - 10:35 PM

westhollywoodant

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Excellent information Utah Ants. I really appreciate it and noted! I will have to experiment and see what solutions I might be able to come up with. Hmmmmm ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜Ž

#51 Offline westhollywoodant - Posted July 29 2022 - 10:33 PM

westhollywoodant

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I found really good results with pouring some concrete mix into the interior. The light coat should help retain water slightly better I am hoping. Going to move a Camponotus colony in soon. 

I then took it and got a square clear box and built a make shift all in one nest and outworld formicarium. 

IMG_4985 (1).jpg

IMG_4985a (2).jpg

IMG_4985a (3).jpg

IMG_4985a (4).jpg

IMG_4985a (5).jpg

IMG_4985a (6).jpg

• m99 and FloridaAnts like this

#52 Offline Roachant - Posted August 3 2022 - 6:05 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

I used a firebrick Formicarium for three years for some tetramorium ants. I had no issues with them living in it and the colony grew so big they outgrew their brick so I released the colony to my backyard.
i did in fact coat the interior of the chambers with grout which may have been why it was so successful. 
i recently found a few tetramorium queens so I may be trying that nest again.

To hydrate it I simply added water to the outside of the brick on one side, the brick wicked up the water and I stopped until the grout one one side of the nest started to darken. I found the ants preferred to keep their brood somewhat mid way from the dry to the moist side.

i donโ€™t recall which type of firebrick it was or what itโ€™s made from.

• westhollywoodant likes this

#53 Offline westhollywoodant - Posted August 4 2022 - 10:51 AM

westhollywoodant

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Made another smaller built in nest formicarium. Concrete mix really working out well seems like. 

Fun builds. 

IMG_5189.jpg

Top view and front view

IMG_5190.jpg

This pre cut red cover fits perfectly

IMG_5191.jpg

I broke through the chamber wall with the sponge water chamber and added a screen to allow for more moisture to be lower chamber of nest. 

IMG_5188.jpg

Nest entrance on the side 

IMG_5183.jpg

All in all came out pretty good for a throw together build. 

• UtahAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users