• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex - Noob

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AlabamaAnt - Posted September 7 2020 - 9:06 AM

AlabamaAnt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBaldwin County Alabama
Good afternoon!

Just acquired a Pogonomyrmex Queen. Have her in a test tube, added tiny amount of honey and seeds. She was shipped w a worker, but the worker didn't make it. Also seems like she ate her only egg.

I did notice she’s been pulling at cotton. I have a formicarium w an outer world. Should I keep Queen in test tube or move to Formicarium (ie laying tube in outerworld)?

Based off research i need to leave her alone in darkness regardless.

Appreciate the help! I don’t want her to perish!

#2 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted September 7 2020 - 9:10 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

What kind of formicarium do you have? If it's a Mini-Hearth, move her in.

• zantezaint likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#3 Offline AlabamaAnt - Posted September 7 2020 - 9:24 AM

AlabamaAnt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have the Formicarium below.

https://formicariums...-fully-featured

#4 Offline zantezaint - Posted September 7 2020 - 9:35 AM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

No worker? Test tube, keep her in a claustral environment. Darkness is a plus, prayer is a must. Next formicarium is slightly too big. I'd go with a minihearth sized after test tube. After minihearth, shift to the formicarium you showed. You got a long ways to go though.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#5 Offline AleeGuy - Posted September 7 2020 - 9:41 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Give her few(mostly small) seeds, put her in a test tube setup(no outworld or formicarium), then put her in a dark place that you don't open often (like empty closet, etc.), don't make too much vibrations, and don't check on her more than once a week

#6 Offline AlabamaAnt - Posted September 7 2020 - 9:44 AM

AlabamaAnt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The Worker didn't make the trip unfortunately.

10-4, I’ll keep her in the dark and hopefully w a wish and prayer she’ll get through it. Appreciate the advice and my apologies for duplicate post.

Thanks!

#7 Offline AlabamaAnt - Posted September 7 2020 - 9:45 AM

AlabamaAnt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
As far as water goes, its about half way up the vial. Think that will last for a week or so?

#8 Offline TestSubjectOne - Posted September 7 2020 - 9:48 AM

TestSubjectOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

If you mean that her test tube is half filled with water, then that should last a long time - many months, Although you will likely need to move her before then due to mold.

TestSubjectOne's Experiences in Antkeeping General Journal

Currently Keeping:

- Veromessor pergandei (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Novomessor cockerelli (1 queen, 200 workers)

- Myrmecocystus mexicanus (1 queen, 100 workers)

- Brachymyrmex patagonicus (3 queens?, 2,000 workers? & alates)

- Crematogaster sp. (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Liometopum occidentale (1 queen, 800 workers)

- Camponotus absqualator (1 queen, 130 workers)

#9 Offline AleeGuy - Posted September 7 2020 - 10:55 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

I placed my camponotus chromaiodes queen in a test tube in may 13 and filled it less than halfway of a test tube with water and now there is about 22 workers and some water still left. If you fill it little more than halfway it will last about 6 month for Pogonomyrmex, they like drier humility too (it may be different because of the temperature and overall humidity in your house). Nvrm they like high humidity.

Edited by AleeGuy, September 7 2020 - 7:32 PM.

#10 Offline Spazmops - Posted September 7 2020 - 6:50 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I placed my camponotus chromaiodes queen in a test tube in may 13 and filled it less than halfway of a test tube with water and now there is about 22 workers and some water still left. If you fill it little more than halfway it will last about 6 month for Pogonomyrmex, they like drier humility too (it may be different because of the temperature and overall humidity in your house).

I’m not sure where you got the idea that they like drier humidity. Every source I can find (and in my own experience founding over 20 P. occidentalis queens) they love high humidity (around 90%, give or take) and thrive in it. 

AlabamaAnt, the test tube should be fine. Keep it in the dark, and on a heating source if possible, as heat is especially good for this species. The queen will need moved if her tube completely runs out of water. If she has no brood, moving her into a THA minihearth will be easy, as these queens are very active during founding. The large nest you have picked out should be suitable, but I’d suggest putting substrate in the nest area if possible to keep the humidity up seeing as it’s plastic.

• AleeGuy likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#11 Offline AleeGuy - Posted September 7 2020 - 7:26 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

I placed my camponotus chromaiodes queen in a test tube in may 13 and filled it less than halfway of a test tube with water and now there is about 22 workers and some water still left. If you fill it little more than halfway it will last about 6 month for Pogonomyrmex, they like drier humility too (it may be different because of the temperature and overall humidity in your house).

I’m not sure where you got the idea that they like drier humidity. Every source I can find (and in my own experience founding over 20 P. occidentalis queens) they love high humidity (around 90%, give or take) and thrive in it. 

AlabamaAnt, the test tube should be fine. Keep it in the dark, and on a heating source if possible, as heat is especially good for this species. The queen will need moved if her tube completely runs out of water. If she has no brood, moving her into a THA minihearth will be easy, as these queens are very active during founding. The large nest you have picked out should be suitable, but I’d suggest putting substrate in the nest area if possible to keep the humidity up seeing as it’s plastic.

Sorry :sorry: , I heard somewhere that they like dry area area or something lol.

• Spazmops likes this

#12 Offline Spazmops - Posted September 7 2020 - 7:59 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Sorry :sorry: , I heard somewhere that they like dry area area or something lol.

You’re good. It’s true they tend to nest in more arid environments, but they respond well to an abundance of moisture, and all of the wild colonies I’ve seen are either next to a canal or a stream.

• Ants_Dakota and AleeGuy like this

Ants I have:

#13 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 8 2020 - 7:18 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
It would also be more humid below the surface even in an arid environment.

#14 Offline AlabamaAnt - Posted September 8 2020 - 9:52 AM

AlabamaAnt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

What type of substrate do you recommend to keep up humidity?

Many thanks

#15 Offline Spazmops - Posted September 8 2020 - 11:59 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

What type of substrate do you recommend to keep up humidity?

Many thanks

I used some substrate I took from a dead wild Pogonomyrmex nest, and then baked it in the oven. It’s essentially a mixture of coarse sand and tiny pebbles.

Ants I have:

#16 Offline AlabamaAnt - Posted September 8 2020 - 5:27 PM

AlabamaAnt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks so much guys. Last question for the evening:

We are in South Alabama, 90s and high humidity. In my house we keep it 70-73. Obviously not great for Pogonomyrmexs. Heating pad?

I'm tempted to put her in a shoebox in my shed. Thoughts? Better than a heatpad in my closet?

Really enjoy the forum. Thanks

#17 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 9 2020 - 8:05 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Right now I need a reptile heat pad for my Pogonomyrmex Occidentallis because its snowing.

Edited by Antkeeper01, September 9 2020 - 8:08 AM.

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#18 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 9 2020 - 9:14 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
You don’t really have to get one this late in the year, you can though use it next year but they grow extremely fast once you get one.
We don’t talk about that

#19 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 9 2020 - 11:00 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I would not recommend putting it into a shed. I have had friends kill queens that way when they overheated.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#20 Offline AlabamaAnt - Posted September 14 2020 - 10:13 AM

AlabamaAnt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Really appreciate the advice folks.  Quick update - the queen has left her test tube setup, good timing because the cotton ball started to change color.  I've added a few seeds and check water regularly, both drinking water and water for humidity. Do you think she'll start to lay eggs or do you think this will start in the spring?

Check out album below.

Moving in!
Album: Alabama Pogonomyrmex
2 images
0 comments

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users