• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

UK Queen ID please. Lasius parasite?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline steelplant - Posted August 27 2020 - 4:09 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Found beside the river in Lincolnshire, UK, about a week ago (20 Aug 2020 ish).

IMG_20200827_101351700.jpg

IMG_20200827_101637423.jpg

IMG_20200827_101839263.jpg

Initially I thought she was semi-claustral as her gaster is smaller than eg Lasius niger. I set her up in a tub n tube but she doesn't seem to be eating or drinking, or hunting, hasn't settled in and is still trying to escape. I realised last night she doesn't seem to have a post petiole so is unlikely to be what I initially thought (Myrmica).

If anyone could help that would be great thanks.

Size is 9mm. She looks black in some lights, though looks brown in these photos. Her head is heart shaped.

Edited by steelplant, August 27 2020 - 4:31 AM.

#2 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 27 2020 - 4:58 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Yeah, Lasius parasite.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 27 2020 - 6:37 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
They should be fed like a drop of honey or something still, though. Parasitic alates are generally underfed.

#4 Offline steelplant - Posted August 27 2020 - 6:50 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Cheers guys. She's got a drop of honey on a stone and 2.5ml diluted honey water in an ant drink feeder. She also gets little bits of fruit I've grown myself (ie no pesticides) and protein in the form of mealworms, crickets, shrimp, salmon, boiled egg yolk etc. 

I've a few plant pots with wild Lasius niger in, so I'll grab some pupae and some young workers and set to work. I'll probably try the callow method first. Unless someone here recommends another way. 

Thanks so much for your help. I'm so glad I'll now be able to give her what she needs.

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 27 2020 - 9:13 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
The species is lasius umbratus in case you were wondering.

#6 Offline steelplant - Posted August 27 2020 - 2:26 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

The species is lasius umbratus in case you were wondering.

Thanks. I figured that was probably it, but it's really helpful to get it confirmed. Wish I'd posted for an ID a week ago now. Think I might try the fridge method with maybe 5 workers and 20 pupae. Then later boost with another 20. There are some large wild Lasius niger colonies I've been feeding sugars to that can comfortably afford to lose that amount I think. 

#7 Offline steelplant - Posted August 29 2020 - 4:36 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

A quick update on the adoption. The weather here's been terrible lately so there were barely any pupae being warmed in the usual places. I got one pupa and a few workers. One worker unfortunately got a bit squashed when I put the lid on, so I put her in with the queen first. Sure enough, the queen started taking the worker's scent and rubbing it all over her. After a while I put in the pupa and one worker. The worker grabbed the pupa and just hid, so I put in another worker, who met the queen at the nest entrance almost immediately and they seemed to get along fine. This morning both workers and the pupa are in the nest (test tube) so fingers crossed I think it's gone OK. I'll put the remaining workers back where I got them and just give the new colony any pupae I find. From what I've read/heard, the queen won't lay until she has a decent work force.

My friend finally identified a mystery colony she'd saved ... Lasius umbratus as well. She has a few queens in hers. So if all goes well, we'll be able to swap drones.

Thanks for your help - I wouldn't have had the guts to try this without your ID.

#8 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 29 2020 - 7:28 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
If you could find callow workers (newly eclosed workers) and pupae would be best. Callows tend to except new queens more then the normal workers, but it’s fine if you can’t find callows.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#9 Offline steelplant - Posted August 29 2020 - 2:17 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

If you could find callow workers (newly eclosed workers) and pupae would be best. Callows tend to except new queens more then the normal workers, but it’s fine if you can’t find callows.

Thanks. There's no real chance of callows, and now the queen has a couple of workers - 3 once the pupa is eclosed - I'll just forage for pupae for her. We might actually get some sun briefly tomorrow, so I'll go out and flip a few stones. If I'm really lucky the colony in the compost bin will have their pupae out. 

At least I know the queen is getting fed now. 

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 29 2020 - 2:22 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Actually, this could easily be mixtus or meridionalis. Care would be the same whatever the species. From what I have read about Lasius social parasites, it seems like over 20 normal host workers would be fine. Just make sure to chill them both before introduction, but not too long, as you don't want them to freeze.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#11 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted August 29 2020 - 2:40 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Yes, 20+ workers is able to start a colony. However, 20 host workers will likely not get you many parasite workers in the first generation, and she might not even want to lay.

My recommendation is to find a Lasius niger colony living under a rock, and to take a lot of pupae. I would shoot for at least 100 host workers. Make sure if you take pupae from a different colony, you don't get workers too, because if you try to add in workers from a different colony they will still treat eachother like enemies. 

Edited by AnthonyP163, August 29 2020 - 2:41 PM.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#12 Offline steelplant - Posted August 30 2020 - 1:21 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Cheers guys. Just been reading your journal, AnthonyP163. Very interesting. Yes I'll gladly boost her with as many pupae as I can responsibly take from wild nests. All my other colonies are in foundation (just started ant keeping over lockdown), so the chance to have a bigger colony is appealing. I shan't add any more workers now though, unless the two I have die. Just pupae. Just hope the queen's patient with them while I find pupae for her.

#13 Offline steelplant - Posted September 2 2020 - 3:23 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

A further update ... I found an utterly massive Lasius niger colony in a neighbouring allotment. There were hundreds of pupae revealed just by leaning forward a south facing slab that was leaning on a large earth mound. I used a home made pooter to suck up around 50. I put the workers back as they were from a different colony from the original ones.

I put the pupae into the tub and tube set up, at the nest entrance. I thought they'd be taken in immediately but they weren't. When I came back a few hours later they'd been taken in. 

Last night I found an ant queen drowning in a rain-filled dish. Of course I had to keep her. Turns out she's another umbratus. So I just revisited the massive wild colony and took some pupae and a few workers for her. They're chilling in the fridge.

Again, thanks for your help in the ID and advice. As a beginner, this is such a fascinating and wonderful world to get a peek into and interact with.

• AnthonyP163, ANTdrew, Antkid12 and 1 other like this

#14 Offline TechAnt - Posted September 2 2020 - 7:46 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Great! I am glad you found a solution.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#15 Offline Antkid12 - Posted September 2 2020 - 8:02 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

A further update ... I found an utterly massive Lasius niger colony in a neighbouring allotment. There were hundreds of pupae revealed just by leaning forward a south facing slab that was leaning on a large earth mound. I used a home made pooter to suck up around 50. I put the workers back as they were from a different colony from the original ones.

I put the pupae into the tub and tube set up, at the nest entrance. I thought they'd be taken in immediately but they weren't. When I came back a few hours later they'd been taken in. 

Last night I found an ant queen drowning in a rain-filled dish. Of course I had to keep her. Turns out she's another umbratus. So I just revisited the massive wild colony and took some pupae and a few workers for her. They're chilling in the fridge.

Again, thanks for your help in the ID and advice. As a beginner, this is such a fascinating and wonderful world to get a peek into and interact with.

You should make a journal.

• TechAnt likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#16 Offline steelplant - Posted September 5 2020 - 5:55 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

The introduction to the second umbratus queen was a little more dramatic. The queen rolled the worker in the honey drop on a stone in her outworld. She was forcing the worker's head into the honey. Then she was rubbing the worker over her to spread its scent, but just became a sticky mess. Then bits of sand were getting stuck to her. It was a nightmare. She spent many hours cleaning herself off. She couldn't resist the honey-coated ant though and ate her. The second worker introduction went much better, and everything's fine now. I overhydrated their plaster outworld (going to keep it dry from now on) and the queen and worker just chill out in there amongst the scattered pupae. I have to trust that they know what they're doing, and the worker does check on them all regularly.

There are now many niger workers in the first umbratus queen's test tube.

Antkid 12 - thanks for your suggestion. I'll have a go at writing a journal.

#17 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 5 2020 - 7:11 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
That other queen had a nice honey roasted ant!

#18 Offline steelplant - Posted September 5 2020 - 4:05 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

That other queen had a nice honey roasted ant!

Yes must've been impossible to resist! She pulled her wings off as soon as I put her in her little outworld. Wanders around all day, whereas I never see the first one. Maybe she's busy laying.

#19 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 5 2020 - 7:09 PM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Yay someone else in the UK XD although your further south, Grats on finding the Queen, I was looking for umbratus but I never got lucky and the weather has been horrible the past few weeks!

#20 Offline steelplant - Posted September 6 2020 - 1:19 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Yay someone else in the UK XD although your further south, Grats on finding the Queen, I was looking for umbratus but I never got lucky and the weather has been horrible the past few weeks!

Hi! You in Scotland? We've still got alates around Myrmica nest entrances here so they could go any day. It's still and sunny with damp ground right now actually. I'm trying my best not to look for them as I've collected so many Lasius and already have one Myrmica. Pretty sure I wouldn't be able to resist if I caught the flight though. You find anything this year? I used to live in Inverness and love Scotland. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users