• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Scotland Ant ID

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 5 2020 - 11:43 PM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Ello all,

I have had this ant for the same amount of time as my Lasius Niger, but I have only recently looked closely at her now since she is the only one to not lay eggs, but on closer look I swear her head looks bigger than Lasius Niger, she also seems darker, chances this is a parasitic queen? I don't think it is umbratus though because I am sure they have orangish legs whilst this seems all black?

Found in Scotland, Same time as Lasius Niger Nuptial flights in July.

I can try and take other pictures if needed.

https://imgur.com/gallery/aJ7rWJ3

Edited by BlueLance213, September 5 2020 - 11:46 PM.

#2 Offline steelplant - Posted September 6 2020 - 2:27 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Could be. Head does look bigger. You could try connecting her to a little outworld, giving her something to eat, and introducing a Lasius niger worker, see what she does. If she tries to communicate with it and rubs its body over hers, you've got your answer. 

You're best to grab a worker that's with the brood rather than a guard or forager. They're younger and easier to assimilate. Good luck!

#3 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 6 2020 - 2:48 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Could be. Head does look bigger. You could try connecting her to a little outworld, giving her something to eat, and introducing a Lasius niger worker, see what she does. If she tries to communicate with it and rubs its body over hers, you've got your answer.

You're best to grab a worker that's with the brood rather than a guard or forager. They're younger and easier to assimilate. Good luck!

Believe me I am gonna struggle with that:P None of my Lasius have workers yet, although ine kf my colonies does have about 20 Nanitics which are cocooned at the moment, so I could pinch one or two callow workers from there and see how it goes with that.

Makes me nervous and I wish I knew where I got her because It would be great to find more haha

#4 Offline Antkid12 - Posted September 6 2020 - 4:38 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

This is a formica fusca group.

• AnthonyP163 and CheetoLord02 like this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#5 Offline Spazmops - Posted September 6 2020 - 5:38 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Formica fusca group. I would advise you to NOT introduce a worker of a different species, as you’ll likely end up with a dead queen.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#6 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 6 2020 - 6:21 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Alrighty, any suggestions on what I should do? I will google what I can though

#7 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 6 2020 - 6:24 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Wait if its not parasitic would that mean I just have a dud queen?

#8 Offline Spazmops - Posted September 6 2020 - 6:33 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Depending on how long ago you caught it, it’s possible. Formica caught very recently might wait until next year to lay eggs, seeing as they don’t hibernate with brood.

Ants I have:

#9 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 6 2020 - 6:39 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Depending on how long ago you caught it, it’s possible. Formica caught very recently might wait until next year to lay eggs, seeing as they don’t hibernate with brood.

It would have been about 6 weeks ago that I caught it

#10 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 6 2020 - 6:44 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Ok so if she is going to wait until hibernation, is a test tube setup still valid for her to stay in?

#11 Offline Spazmops - Posted September 6 2020 - 6:47 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

As far as I know, she’ll be fine in a test tube setup, providing she has plenty of water left in it.

Ants I have:

#12 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 6 2020 - 6:52 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Yeah she has plenty of water, I placed some honey in as well and she has drank most of it.

So would I be best to try and hibernate her now for 3 months to make her think winter has come and gone? Or wait till actual winter and do it then?

I checked but just to make sure, she doesnt need any workees etc from other colonies of the same species right? She will lay her own etc if she is mated?

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 6 2020 - 8:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A standard test tube is fine. You could go ahead and hibernate her after a gradual cool down and hope for eggs next year. My Formica argentea needed to do this before raising brood.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#14 Offline steelplant - Posted September 6 2020 - 10:16 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Formica fusca group. I would advise you to NOT introduce a worker of a different species, as you’ll likely end up with a dead queen.

Thanks so much for stopping my ignorance from causing the death of a queen ant. I would've been heartbroken. 

• Spazmops likes this

#15 Offline Spazmops - Posted September 6 2020 - 12:40 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Thanks so much for stopping my ignorance from causing the death of a queen ant. I would've been heartbroken. 

No problem! They’re a fun species, at least from my limited experience with them. I just added to my Formica fusca journal, which you could check out if you want a glimpse into founding them.

Ants I have:

#16 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 6 2020 - 6:14 PM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

No problem! They’re a fun species, at least from my limited experience with them. I just added to my Formica fusca journal, which you could check out if you want a glimpse into founding them.

I will definently come and have a look at it, and I will start looking at a way to get this thing hibernated, because I don't have anything that could be used to lower the temperature other than a fridge and I think that would be too cold haha

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 7 2020 - 3:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A fridge is not too cold. Adjust it to a lower cooling setting to be safe. Most people keep their fridges far colder than they need to be to preserve food in any case.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#18 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 7 2020 - 6:46 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

A fridge is not too cold. Adjust it to a lower cooling setting to be safe. Most people keep their fridges far colder than they need to be to preserve food in any case.

My fridges lowest setting is 7C so you reckon that will be ok?

Also nothing is in my fridge XD I mainly cook from frozen haha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users