• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need Help - Ant ID (Indonesia)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Richard - Posted September 6 2020 - 8:25 AM

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Is this wasmannia / little fire ant? 

I got this 3 or 4 months ago. 

The other colony color is darker than this one.

sKH1PR1.jpg

vxNJgnD.jpg1dPLoHZ.jpgEVvjSzj.jpgQOqFpf4.jpg

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 6 2020 - 8:30 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Tetramorium sp, possibly tetramorium caldarium.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#3 Offline Richard - Posted September 6 2020 - 8:37 AM

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Tetramorium sp, possibly tetramorium caldarium.

I need to put work on my skill to identify ants. All the ants look same for me  :wacko3:  :wacko2:  :crazy:

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted September 6 2020 - 8:38 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Yeah this is a Tetramorium species, probably something native because southeast Asia has a lot of Tetramorium species which are closely related and look like this. The propodeal spines are too long for caldarium or simillimum. I think there is a good chance that it's one of the species that used to be in the genus Triglyphothrix before it was synonymized with Tetramorium, so maybe T. lanuginosum or something similar.

• TennesseeAnts and Richard like this

#5 Offline Richard - Posted September 6 2020 - 8:47 AM

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Yeah this is a Tetramorium species, probably something native because southeast Asia has a lot of Tetramorium species which are closely related and look like this. The propodeal spines are too long for caldarium or simillimum. I think there is a good chance that it's one of the species that used to be in the genus Triglyphothrix before it was synonymized with Tetramorium, so maybe T. lanuginosum or something similar.

I'm on antwiki right now. They all look almost the same. Not much color differences. I think we need proper equipment to ID Tetramorium?

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 6 2020 - 9:36 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm on antwiki right now. They all look almost the same. Not much color differences. I think we need proper equipment to ID Tetramorium?

Not really. there's slight anatomical differences, should be listed under the identification section. Like spine length and curvature, hair density, tarsal claws, tibial spurs, etc.

#7 Offline Aaron567 - Posted September 6 2020 - 11:04 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

If you look on the back section of the mesosoma (called the propodeum), the propodeal spines on your ants are very long and noticeable. Compare it with species like Tetramorium caldarium or T. simillimum and those species have very short spines that look like mere nubs. Upon looking through AntWeb at Indonesia's Tetramorium, some possibilities for yours include (in my opinion) T. adpressumT. kraepelini, and T. lanuginosumbut there is no guarantee that your species is a species that is officially recorded from Indonesia or even a species that is described or imaged. Honestly I'd say lanuginosum is a pretty fair bet, as they are the most frequently encountered/collected among their group of species. In your pictures I think the dense hairs characteristic of lanuginosum can be seen on the queen.

• Robert likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users