• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking to buy Camponotus pennsylvanicus or other interesting ants (NJ/NY/PA)

camponotus pennsylvanicus ant

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline edweller7 - Posted August 27 2020 - 8:14 AM

edweller7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

HI,

I'm interested in purchasing Camponotus pennsylvanicus or any other interesting ants people may have in the area. I'm also interested in the bullet ants if someone has a queen; lets chat.

Text me 646-912-0471

Thank you

#2 Offline Spazmops - Posted August 27 2020 - 8:18 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

You can't ship ants across state borders, you can only get ants in the state you live in. You also need to add your location to your profile to buy/sell ants.

• TechAnt and TestSubjectOne like this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#3 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 27 2020 - 8:27 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Yes, bullet ants are not for the faint of heart nor beginning ant keepers. They are extremely difficult to raise and are not present in your state. Also you should not give out your phone number openly, do that in private messages. Its illegal to ship ants across state borders in the U.S. without a PPQ-526 permit. You should look at all the interesting ants in your state, like Pheidole, Camponotus, Formica, Lasius, Myrmica, and more! As Spaz said, you must have your location in your member profile (which state you are in at least) in order to make transactions on the forum market.

Please read the pinned message "Rules for posting in the classifieds section" by Crystals, it gives you the basic guidelines to selling/buying on here.

Edited by TechAnt, August 27 2020 - 8:34 AM.

• NickAnter, Froggy and Spazmops like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#4 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 27 2020 - 8:44 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Bullet ants aren't even in north america.

• TechAnt likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#5 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 27 2020 - 8:46 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Yeah, if you knew any basic information about them, you'd know they only live in South/Southeast Asia mostly.

Its crazy how AC fans get brainwashed and dive into the hobby with some of literally the hardest ants to keep. Then they get angry because the ants died, not going to make this an AC thread so I am going to end that here.

Edited by TechAnt, August 27 2020 - 8:49 AM.

• TestSubjectOne likes this
My Ants:

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 27 2020 - 8:48 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yeah, if you knew any basic information about them, you'd know they only live in South/Southeast Asia mostly.

Its crazy how AC fans get brainwashed and dive into the hobby with some of literally the hardest ants to keep. Not going to make this an AC thread so I am going to end that here.

No. They live in South America.

• CheetoLord02, DDD101DDD and Antkid12 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline Spazmops - Posted August 27 2020 - 8:53 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Its crazy how AC fans get brainwashed and dive into the hobby with some of literally the hardest ants to keep. Then they get angry because the ants died, not going to make this an AC thread so I am going to end that here.

Why do you think they're an AC fan? Because of the bullet ants? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#8 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 27 2020 - 8:59 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Its crazy how AC fans get brainwashed and dive into the hobby with some of literally the hardest ants to keep. Not going to make this an AC thread so I am going to end that here.

No. They live in South America.

Huh, I guess I was misinformed.

Edited by TechAnt, August 27 2020 - 9:02 AM.

My Ants:

#9 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 27 2020 - 9:01 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Why do you think they're an AC fan? Because of the bullet ants? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

Yeah, after the AC video I saw everyone in the comments wanted them, and some people were asking if they could buy AC's colony. But maybe I'm wrong, but nobody seemed to know about shipping queen ant laws. Not saying its wrong to be inspired, and bullet ants are awesome, just saying.

IF anybody wants to talk about this further, lets throw it in a PM or something.

Edited by TechAnt, August 27 2020 - 9:11 AM.

• Spazmops likes this
My Ants:

#10 Offline Mdrogun - Posted August 27 2020 - 9:32 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

This is one of the most inaccurate claims I have ever seen on Formiculture. "Bullet Ants" were the common name given to Paraponera clavata because their venom is able to hijack our pain receptors into telling our brain that they are feeling the most pain that they are capable of.

Paraponera clavata are only found in South America, and they are the only species in their genus, a true relic from the past. To call any other spp. of ant "Bullet Ants" does a disservice to the abilities of this species and only serves to misinform the public. I am aware that Antscanada recently took part in this, so I'm assuming that this is where you got the idea.

Edited by Mdrogun, August 27 2020 - 9:36 AM.

• AnthonyP163, CheetoLord02, DDD101DDD and 3 others like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#11 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 27 2020 - 9:35 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

This is one of the most inaccurate claims I have ever seen on Formiculture. "Bullet Ants" were the common name given to Paraponera clavata because their venom is able to hijack our pain receptors into telling our brain that they are feeling the most pain that they are capable of.

Paraponera clavata are only found in South America, and they are the only species in their genus, a true relic from the past. To call any other spp. of ant "Bullet Ants" does a disservice to the abilities of this species and only serves to misinform the public. I am aware that Antscanada recently took part in this, so I'm assuming that this is where you go the idea.

Yeah, that's where I got it, thank you for clearing this up.

My Ants:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users