• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I may have made a big mistake.... Need help...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Devi - Posted August 26 2020 - 1:29 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Well, I did it.  I went to a massive mound of solenopsis molesta in my backyard with Spazmops, and got three queens with around twenty workers and brood.  (Don't worry, there were hundreds of queens)  I really like how this species looks and behaves, but I'm not quite sure about captivity conditions.  As for right now, they are in a small test tube.  I have heard that they are escape artists, and don't want them to escape.  Please help.

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 26 2020 - 2:34 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I've had some experience with this species, and it seems that if you provide ample food, they won't even try to escape. They're very hardy, non-picky ants, yet require large amounts of food.

• TennesseeAnts and Devi like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline Devi - Posted August 26 2020 - 3:15 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

What would you recommend for formicaria?  Something THA makes preferably.  Would a discus with a foraging area work?  I was really worried about caring for them, this gives me some peace of mind.  Thank you!

Edited by Devi, August 26 2020 - 3:35 PM.

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 26 2020 - 3:50 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

What would you recommend for formicaria?  Something THA makes preferably.  Would a discus with a foraging area work?  I was really worried about caring for them, this gives me some peace of mind.  Thank you!

Yeah, a Discus or Inception Chamber should work fine. A tubes 'n tubes style setup like the ones mentioned would be best if you really are concerned about them escaping. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline Devi - Posted August 26 2020 - 4:35 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Yeah, a Discus or Inception Chamber should work fine. A tubes 'n tubes style setup like the ones mentioned would be best if you really are concerned about them escaping. 

Like the ones mentioned?  Is a Discus or Inception Chamber a tube n' tubes seup?  I don't even know what that means.  I might do a AC test tube portal so it expands up to four test tubes.  Nearly escape proof, and looks pretty cool.  Please let me know if there is a better concept that isn't from AC (like THA for example) so I can consider all options.  Thank you!

Edited by Devi, August 26 2020 - 4:49 PM.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 26 2020 - 4:49 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
No, tub and tubes set up is keeping them in a test tube placed in an escape proof box of some sort, like a Container Store BoxBox container, for example. If you line the rim of the box with a good barrier and use the lid, you’ll have no escapes.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline Devi - Posted August 26 2020 - 4:53 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

No, tub and tubes set up is keeping them in a test tube placed in an escape proof box of some sort, like a Container Store BoxBox container, for example. If you line the rim of the box with a good barrier and use the lid, you’ll have no escapes.

Ahh, is "tube n' tube" setup just another thing it's called?  I did know that, I have used tub and tubes multiple times before.  I just didn't know it was also called.  Thanks!

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 26 2020 - 5:53 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I said tubs and tubes style, meaning the nest is placed inside the outworld, just like the test tube is in the actual tubes 'n tubes. 

• Devi likes this

#9 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 26 2020 - 6:08 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
And the discus and inception chamber are tarheelants nests if you also didn’t know what those are.

#10 Offline Devi - Posted August 26 2020 - 6:35 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

And the discus and inception chamber are tarheelants nests if you also didn’t know what those are.

Yes, I was browsing Type III formicaria and thought those would probably be most suitable.  Thanks!

#11 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 26 2020 - 8:38 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Also molesta are one of the few species you can get away without hibernating, as long as its not a first year queen.
  • Devi likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users