• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Spaz’s Pogosticks (P. Occidentalis)

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Devi - Posted January 10 2021 - 6:48 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I'm really happy that you have some Pogonomyrmex now Spaz!  I hope they do better than mine, mine are kind of tanking right now.  :(

Heating cable could that help?

They have heat in the form of an UTH, so it should be good...

#62 Offline Spazmops - Posted March 1 2021 - 10:25 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Hey all! My brief break has ended. I've had these updates archived on a google doc, so I'll upload them here now. 

Large Colony Update February 9th- I received an awesome nest from ANTDrew with one of his super mario outworlds, which looks hilarious to see ants in. I love it. The front port of the nest came cracked due to USPS treating the package like a football, but after 30 seconds in Tinkercad and 12 minutes of 3D printing I had a plate with the correct sized hole that I simply glued over the shattered portion. To move in the ants I unplugged the side holes of the minihearth, removed the nestmate and glass, and set the formicarium in the outworld. The next day they were properly moved in the nest with the queen, so I took out the minihearth and gave them a huge seed pile as a housewarming gift. 

large colony just in
large colony moving day
Large colony February 2021

Small Colony Update: February- I took this colony out of brumation on the 1st of February and put them on their heating mat. I had been hibernating them at room temperature, which seems to have worked very well. A few weeks later I noticed eggs, which quickly became larvae and then pupae. As of writing (Feb. 28), they have 4 workers, one of which is from this new generation. There should be a few more soon. I could only get a very bad picture, but I'll embed it here anyway. 
Small colony Feb. 2021

Large Colony Update March 1st- This colony continues to do very well. I thought I saw brood a week or two ago, but I'm not seeing any now. I gave them a honey water feeder because my small colony loves it, and that's held true for this colony as well. I like to give them a medium ByFormica feeder on a rare basis as a sort of treat, seeing as sugars aren't a large part of their natural diet. 

Large colony March 2021
Large colony honey water

You should totally talk to ANTDrew about his custom nests and Super Mario outworlds, they work great and look just as good. The pricing beats a lot of better-known formicarium makers as well. Hope everyone's enjoyed this update. As always, thanks for reading. -Spazmops

• ANTdrew likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#63 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 1 2021 - 10:59 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Looking good! Glad you like the setup!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#64 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 1 2021 - 11:49 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Looking good! Glad you like the setup!

that's awesome! I'm imagining heart butt ants in a super mario outworld... super cute.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#65 Offline Spazmops - Posted March 15 2021 - 8:26 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Update 3/15/2021

Well, I have some bad news. This colony had been doing great and had almost doubled in size, but that ground to a halt today when I noticed that queen Demeter had died. It would appear that she died along with her first generation of workers. I think it's because I let the water get too low, I have no idea how I missed it but the nestmate and water tower are both bone dry. There's still quite a bit of brood left which I'll try to use to brood boost my larger colony. 

I'm furious at myself for letting this happen, and I feel like I've failed at antkeeping. 

Final Pogosticks picture
Pogosticks queen dead

Ants I have:

#66 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted March 15 2021 - 8:54 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#67 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2021 - 9:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ah, crap man. I hope it wasn’t an issue with the nest design.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#68 Offline Spazmops - Posted March 15 2021 - 9:12 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Ah, crap man. I hope it wasn’t an issue with the nest design.

It was a minihearth, luckily it was the small colony's queen that died. The nest you made is still working great, and the huge water tower will hopefully make double sure that this never happens again. 

• ANTdrew likes this

Ants I have:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users