• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

THA "species size" option

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted August 15 2020 - 9:42 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

I have a small Pheidole dentata colony that I am planning on moving into a tarheelants nest. Would this species fall under the size "small" or "tiny"? 

I want to make sure the chambers aren't too large for them, because I know that can affect how comfortable they are in the nest.

(I've never ordered from THA which is why I'm asking)

Edited by ArmyAntz, August 15 2020 - 9:43 AM.

#2 Offline Broncos - Posted August 15 2020 - 9:44 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
I would consider this species being small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#3 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted August 15 2020 - 9:49 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

I would consider this species being small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I assumed but I wanted to make sure I was right.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 15 2020 - 10:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ve talked with Mack about this on the phone. They go through more protocols if it is for tiny species to ensure there are no gaps. I would say go with “tiny.” You’ll have more peace of mind.
I learned the hard way to never put a small species in a “large species” nest.
  • Antkid12 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 15 2020 - 10:49 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I’ve talked with Mack about this on the phone. They go through more protocols if it is for tiny species to ensure there are no gaps. I would say go with “tiny.” You’ll have more peace of mind.

This may be why a Tetramorium colony I had a while back escaped their fortress.   :facepalm:

Edited by Antkid12, August 15 2020 - 10:53 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 15 2020 - 10:53 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Pheidole are tiny, just like Solenopsis molesta, Monomorium, Temnothorax, and several others. Small would be something like Lasius or Tetramorium.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 15 2020 - 11:00 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

My Pheidole dentata or morrisii's nanitics workers are big as the nanitics of tetramorium. But yeah, its probably best to choose tiny.

Edited by Antkid12, August 15 2020 - 11:03 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#8 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted August 15 2020 - 1:42 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Honestly that's something I never considered. I'll probably go with "tiny" in that case, I don't want to risk anything.

#9 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted August 15 2020 - 1:43 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Pheidole are tiny, just like Solenopsis molesta, Monomorium, Temnothorax, and several others. Small would be something like Lasius or Tetramorium.

Fair enough, I'll probably just choose tiny just to be sure.

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 15 2020 - 3:08 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Honestly that's something I never considered. I'll probably go with "tiny" in that case, I don't want to risk anything.
Yes, I think the difference between “small” and “tiny” is not so much about tunnel size as it is about escape prevention protocols. Again, I learned this the hard way.
  • ArmyAntz and ArmansAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#11 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 15 2020 - 5:39 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

This blanket statement is nonsense. Pheidole are the second most diverse ant genus on the planet, with (queen) sizes ranging from <3mm to 18mm. Pheidole dentata are definitely a "small" species, with the minors being 2.5-3mm. I do agree with Drew, going with the tiny option is probably smart just for peace of mind, but generically saying that Pheidole is a genus of only small ants is just not correct.

Edited by CheetoLord02, August 15 2020 - 5:41 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and ArmansAnts like this

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 15 2020 - 7:23 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

This blanket statement is nonsense. Pheidole are the second most diverse ant genus on the planet, with (queen) sizes ranging from <3mm to 18mm. Pheidole dentata are definitely a "small" species, with the minors being 2.5-3mm. I do agree with Drew, going with the tiny option is probably smart just for peace of mind, but generically saying that Pheidole is a genus of only small ants is just not correct.

I am well aware of the size variations in Pheidole species. However, I don't see how 18 mm Pheidole queens who don't exist in North America have anything to do with the situation on hand!

Edited by AntsDakota, August 15 2020 - 7:23 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 15 2020 - 7:46 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

why exactly shouldn't you put a small species in a large nest? What happened?

#14 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 15 2020 - 7:56 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I am well aware of the size variations in Pheidole species. However, I don't see how 18 mm Pheidole queens who don't exist in North America have anything to do with the situation on hand!

Uh... 18mm Pheidole ONLY exist in North America. Ever heard of Pheidole rhea? 

That's a 28mm tube for reference.

Either way, yes, it is relevant to bring up the size variation in Pheidole. P. dentata are the 3rd largest Pheidole species in the eastern US, and are most certainly not on-par in size with the genera that you had listed.

Edited by CheetoLord02, August 15 2020 - 7:57 PM.

• AnthonyP163 and TennesseeAnts like this

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 16 2020 - 3:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

My Crematogaster cerasi colony live in a type III Nucleus. I ordered it off the ready to ship pages, and it specified for large ants. The issue I have is that the Crematogaster have no trouble slipping out between the glass because there is a noticable gap. I’m kind of anti-magnetic glass at this point.
Pheidole rhea is my new dream species. XD
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkid12 like this

#16 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 16 2020 - 4:21 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

My Crematogaster cerasi colony live in a type III Nucleus. I ordered it off the ready to ship pages, and it specified for large ants. The issue I have is that the Crematogaster have no trouble slipping out between the glass because there is a noticable gap. I’m kind of anti-magnetic glass at this point.

Haha yeah, they are similar to Carebara.

• ANTdrew likes this

#17 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 16 2020 - 6:04 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I had a similar problem. Ordered a Nucleus off the ready to ship page for my S. xyloni. Hooked up the nest to their setup, came back a few hours later to check on the move and found them trailing all over my room. Not a great time honestly. They even raided and killed my polygynous Crematogaster colony. Always pay attention to species size is the lesson I learned.

#18 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 16 2020 - 7:49 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Mine has been Ph. rhea for 2 or 3 years now. They're huge, fast growing and trimorphic with true supermajors!

• ANTdrew likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users