• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bugbarb loves bugs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline bugbarb - Posted May 4 2015 - 7:16 AM

bugbarb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm Barb and I live in the hills to the north of the San Gabriel Valley, north of Arcadia.  If you ever see a photo of the Santa Anita Racetrack, I live in the picturesque mountains in the background.  I have been trying to keep ants ever since I caught my first Camponotus vicinus queen about 15 years ago.  Finally, this year, with the help of a THS growth chamber and a never ending supply of baby hissing cockroaches, I have a budding colony of over 20 workers.  I am going to have to make a vented lid for one of the perlite/grout formicariums I made a couple of years ago.  I glued the nest are on one wall of a one gallon glass aquarium and used the floor to make a small outworld/foraging area.  The current colony will be connected to one of those formicariums once the lid is in place.

Currently, my ants and cockroaches inhabit the "bug shelf" in our hall closet.  I am fortunate that my husband tolerates my nontraditional interests.  I have hissing cockroaches, dubia cockroaches, a dampwood termite colony, a funnel web spider and some roly polies.  I volunteer at Monrovia Canyon Park on weekends from about 1pm-4pm.  This gives me a socially acceptable outlet for my bug interests.  If you look at Facebook under the name, Barbara Hunt, you will see my 'birth of a roly poly' video, that is if you look soon after 5/3/15.  I will have other bug pics, but birth of a roly poly is a good one.

• AntTeen804 likes this

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 4 2015 - 7:29 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Welcome!  Though you clearly aren't new to the hobby ;) !

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted May 4 2015 - 9:03 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome!

Great to have you here.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 4 2015 - 9:14 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hey welcome. :)

#5 Offline Chromerust - Posted May 4 2015 - 2:06 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
I'm glad you joined us Barb!

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted May 4 2015 - 3:06 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

+1! I went up around Chantry today just to see what was out. Really nothing except a few Liometopum milling about. I need a Camponotus this year!

• AntTeen804 likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#7 Offline AntTeen804 - Posted May 4 2015 - 5:04 PM

AntTeen804

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Hello :)

If you ain't got a dream, you ain't got nothing.

#8 Offline William. T - Posted May 4 2015 - 5:16 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Hey. :)

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#9 Offline Chromerust - Posted May 4 2015 - 8:39 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California

+1! I went up around Chantry today just to see what was out. Really nothing except a few Liometopum milling about. I need a Camponotus this year!

Camponotus are over rated
  • dermy likes this

#10 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 5 2015 - 4:03 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Are you kidding me? I love camponotus! (And big ants in general) they totally beat my Tapinoma and lasius...

#11 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted May 5 2015 - 4:42 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Welcome

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#12 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted May 5 2015 - 9:09 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Are you kidding me? I love camponotus! (And big ants in general) they totally beat my Tapinoma and lasius...
Then get Liometopum. ;) Welcome bugbarb.

#13 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted May 5 2015 - 10:02 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Welcome! :)

#14 Offline cpman - Posted May 5 2015 - 4:24 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
Welcome!

#15 Offline Forestflamboyant - Posted May 5 2015 - 5:12 PM

Forestflamboyant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSonora

Howdy!! and Welcome!! I have been a big bug freak since I could walk!! Blame it on my mom for showing me such an interesting world!!! Ant's have always been my first passion. Then came mantids which I have raised three different species. In general enjoy all insect life!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users