• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Carebara Diversa Journey

#carebaradiversa

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Kennethlwr - Posted August 11 2020 - 6:58 AM

Kennethlwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
So sorry for the confusion, let me explain..

Edited by Kennethlwr, August 11 2020 - 7:21 AM.

#22 Offline Kennethlwr - Posted August 11 2020 - 7:19 AM

Kennethlwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Referring to my 1st post, I mentioned I already got them 5 weeks ago, so I was actually sharing the journey back dated since 1st day when I got them. So sorry for the confusion! As I just joined this forum, so I wanna share with everyone my experience backdated from when I purchased them. Since then it has been about 6 weeks already!
  • TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and Antkid12 like this

#23 Offline Kennethlwr - Posted August 12 2020 - 4:28 AM

Kennethlwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
So.. after a few days since they settled down into the new formicarium, seems like the workers are comfortable in the new home, they start to uncovered the dirt that was hiding the queen and her broods.. and they did a very good job but covering all the gaps in the formicarium, look at the dirt walls that they build.. so amazing!

They exposed the queen and brood and I finally get to enjoy the full frontal view of the action going on inside!

My local fish shop just brought in new feeder insect too, so I bought a new food for my colony.. crickets!! The moment I pre-kill it and throw it in... the hungry and ferocious workers starts to Attack! And Guess what? I finally got to see the major coming out to play!! 1st time seeing the major joining in the Attack!!

• DDD101DDD, Antkid12 and MinigunL5 like this

#24 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 12 2020 - 4:46 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Awesome.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#25 Offline Kennethlwr - Posted August 14 2020 - 5:52 AM

Kennethlwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
After about 1 week, this is how the inside of the formicarium looks like.. seems the eggs got a little bit more, and they have covered all the gaps with dirt, and we can see the queen and her broods in full view! Seems like they are doing well!

Can’t wait for the Super major!

• CatsnAnts and DDD101DDD like this

#26 Offline Kennethlwr - Posted August 16 2020 - 5:48 AM

Kennethlwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
After about 1 week, my first 2 Super major is born!! Try to spot them, they are still in light brown colour

• CatsnAnts, AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

#27 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 16 2020 - 7:08 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Congrats!

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#28 Offline Kennethlwr - Posted August 19 2020 - 5:59 AM

Kennethlwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Check out the current status of my Carebara Diversa, 2 months old colony

Spot the 2 Super major growing well! They just brought a Cricket back into their nest!

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and 6 others like this

#29 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 19 2020 - 6:56 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Nice looking colony! That large larva in the back is going to be a big major!

#30 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 19 2020 - 7:08 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
I love how big they get! Carebara seems like one of the BEST species out there!
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#31 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 19 2020 - 7:21 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

There is probably gonna be even bigger majors in the future!

#32 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 19 2020 - 7:27 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

There is probably gonna be even bigger majors in the future!

I know! But imagine stumbling on a founding chamber of this sp. and your like some tiny worker ant from some small Pheidole species or whatever. (Pretend you can see for this) So you look down this huge hole, thinking it could be some abandoned nest or something , you go in, and you see this juggernaut of a queen. Your choice is run for your life, or be - s l i c e d -

Edited by TechAnt, August 19 2020 - 8:20 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
My Ants:

#33 Offline Kennethlwr - Posted August 20 2020 - 5:57 AM

Kennethlwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Finally they start to expand.. the workers moved some broods to 2nd level of the formicarium! Guess the 1st level is overflowing..

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

#34 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 20 2020 - 1:00 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

*sigh* "Super majors" don't exist in carebara, at least not the marauding species. It's just varying sizes in the major caste. True "super majors" are found in trimorphic species, with distinct caste differences. It's good to see they're doing well. Keep in mind the major you spotted is not even close to a full size major. Those would be slightly short than the queen herself.

#35 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 20 2020 - 1:47 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

*sigh* "Super majors" don't exist in carebara, at least not the marauding species. It's just varying sizes in the major caste. True "super majors" are found in trimorphic species, with distinct caste differences. It's good to see they're doing well. Keep in mind the major you spotted is not even close to a full size major. Those would be slightly short than the queen herself.

I thought recently C. diversa and C. affinis were classified as having actual supermajors? And trust me, I've been preaching about the overuse of "super major" for forever now. But I feel like I remember some study confirming that C. diversa do have actual supermajors. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

• MinigunL5 and TechAnt like this

#36 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 20 2020 - 2:28 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

I thought recently C. diversa and C. affinis were classified as having actual supermajors? And trust me, I've been preaching about the overuse of "super major" for forever now. But I feel like I remember some study confirming that C. diversa do have actual supermajors. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I thought that too..

My Ants:

#37 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 20 2020 - 3:15 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I havent heard of it, suppose its possible. Seems to break the definition of a distinct caste though.

#38 Offline Kennethlwr - Posted August 21 2020 - 2:00 AM

Kennethlwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Well.. I think the term majors and Super majors are the common terms used by people to describe the difference in worker’s sizes, especially for Carebara D as the size is very distinct
  • TennesseeAnts and TechAnt like this

#39 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 21 2020 - 10:57 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well.. I think the term majors and Super majors are the common terms used by people to describe the difference in worker’s sizes, especially for Carebara D as the size is very distinct

The size is distinct, but there's no clear border between the 2. Which is why it's not considered an actual distinct caste outside of major, at least to my knowledge.

#40 Offline Kennethlwr - Posted August 22 2020 - 12:39 AM

Kennethlwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Not sure if the queen lay eggs so fast or they just moved the eggs from 1st level of the formicarium, just 3rd day into the expansion and there are so many eggs at the 2nd level already!

Edited by Kennethlwr, August 22 2020 - 12:42 AM.

• Mdrogun, TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users