• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dry_Twig's Solenopsis sp. Journal

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted October 3 2020 - 6:34 AM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

25 dead ants in a fast growing species isn’t too big of a deal. Sugar water won’t go rotten. Yeasts will ferment it into alcohol, which is something any sugar eating animal is going to encounter all the time in nature. Some insects, such as fruit flies, even seek it out.

I forgot to mention it was actually maple syrup water, which maybe has more organics or something, all I know is that it smelled terrible and was super cloudy. Its good know that, though, now I can stop replacing my sugar test tubes every few days.  :)

My ants: One small(0 worker) Solenopsis xyloni colony- Queen Colony died  :*( 

Link: https://www.formiculture.com/topic/14139-dry-twigs-solenopsis-sp-journal/

Spoiler

#42 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 3 2020 - 7:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
From my experience fermenting meads with natural yeast, fermentation starts slowly after four days at room temperature.
Your best bet would be to get Sunburst that does not ferment because of preservatives in it.
  • Ants_Dakota and Dry_Twig like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#43 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 3 2020 - 10:06 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Most definitely not the termite itself, termites are extremely sensitive to pretty much everything, whereas Solenopsis xyloni are super hardy. It could have been something that the food touched though.

• Dry_Twig likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#44 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted October 3 2020 - 10:25 AM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Most definitely not the termite itself, termites are extremely sensitive to pretty much everything, whereas Solenopsis xyloni are super hardy. It could have been something that the food touched though.

Yeah, I uh, may have taken it from a pool....   :facepalm:

From my experience fermenting meads with natural yeast, fermentation starts slowly after four days at room temperature.
Your best bet would be to get Sunburst that does not ferment because of preservatives in it.

I'll probably get it in the near future, when the colony shows more interest in sugars. Right now, crickets and mealworms are all they eat.

Spoiler

#45 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 3 2020 - 11:15 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Yeah, I uh, may have taken it from a pool....  :facepalm:

If it was a heavily chlorinated pool that might have caused a problem.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#46 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted October 4 2020 - 8:48 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Update!

-------------------------------------------

The colony has exploded in growth since the last update and they eat around 1.5 crickets a day or 3 meal/superworms(they don't like sugars as much, for some reason). I'd estimate they have around 350-400 workers, but its probably off by quite a bit. Currently, I feed them sunflower seeds, mealworms, superworms, crickets, frozen bloodworms, and sugar water, but I'll be adding some more to the rotation soon. Not much else to add, so I'll just put some pictures below. (Is there an easier way to include pictures in posts other than gallery and other image hosting websites?)

Trash phone pictures, since my camera broke:

Brood!:

tunnels1

Tiny plants that sprouted out of nowhere, I'll let them stay:
sprout

Top down view of their digging:
nestTop1

Oh, and here's a hyperlapse of them eating:

Edited by Dry_Twig, October 4 2020 - 8:50 PM.

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota and TechAnt like this

Spoiler

#47 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 5 2020 - 2:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That colony looks awesome! Nice tunnels.
  • Dry_Twig likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#48 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 5 2020 - 5:44 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

(Is there an easier way to include pictures in posts other than gallery and other image hosting websites?)

Not that I'm aware of, however I find that Imgur.com is a manageable platform; it's as simple as uploading, clicking, and dragging into the post.

• Dry_Twig likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#49 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted October 7 2020 - 7:22 AM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

This is probably going to be the last update  :( ever for this journal. I just saw them carrying a huge gaster around and a few minutes after that, a head and thorax of a queen. I suppose its possible that they produced alates,(they only have ~450 workers though) but the fact that it was a queen(with no wings), not a male makes me feel like this was the real queen. I'll just let the workers live out the rest of their days and maybe try again next year  :(.  

I'm guessing she died during the die-off or something and they just brought her out now.

Edit: Are wax worms poisonous for ants? I tried them for the first time right before they brought her out.

Edited by Dry_Twig, October 7 2020 - 7:47 AM.

• Ants_Dakota, Antkid12, TechAnt and 1 other like this

Spoiler

#50 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 7 2020 - 7:25 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Edited by TechAnt, October 7 2020 - 8:01 AM.

• Dry_Twig likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#51 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 7 2020 - 7:26 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

This is probably going to be the last update  :( ever for this journal. I just saw them carrying a huge gaster around and a few minutes after that, a head and thorax of a queen. I suppose its possible that they produced alates,(they only have ~450 workers though) but the fact that it was a queen(with no wings), not a male makes me feel like this was the real queen. I'll just let the workers live out the rest of their days and maybe try again next year  :(.  

I'm guessing she died during the die-off or something and just just brought her out now.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

• Dry_Twig likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#52 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 7 2020 - 3:52 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Damn, man. Sorry.
Waxworms are totally safe if you got them from a reputable source.
  • Dry_Twig likes this

#53 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted October 12 2020 - 3:20 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Mini-Update:

They are eating way less protein, as expected. Intake has gone from a volume of 3 mealworm units -> 0.5 mealworm units. Way more workers, since pupae are still enclosing and from looking at the tunnels, many more are on the way! For some reason, sugar intake has gone down as well, which is weird, because I thought only workers and the queen ate sugars and I'm pretty sure the queen didn't consume that much sugars. Anyways, I planted a tiny sprout from the outdoors as a test for future plantings. I'm planning to fully cover the tank with plants and introduce ants again next summer, when I (hopefully) get a colony going.

Spoiler

#54 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 12 2020 - 4:13 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Don't lose hope, they may well have made an alate and killed it.

• Dry_Twig and TestSubjectOne like this

#55 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted October 12 2020 - 9:27 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Don't lose hope, they may well have made an alate and killed it.

I've been hoping that, but they are far from mature and it was a female alate, so I wouldn't be surprised if the colony does eventually die. I guess I'll know in a few weeks when all the current papua enclose. Solenopsis do grow fast, though, and some of the majors are almost as big as the queen. Maybe it was a mistake(does that happen?) and they killed her after they realized it or something.

Spoiler

#56 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 13 2020 - 7:41 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I hope it wasn't the queen.

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#57 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 13 2020 - 7:42 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I'm guessing she died during the die-off or something and they just brought her out now.

Edit: Are wax worms poisonous for ants? I tried them for the first time right before they brought her out.

Why did three people like this post???

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#58 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 13 2020 - 7:57 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Why did three people like this post???

liking can also mean supporting people.

• Ants_Dakota and MinigunL5 like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#59 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 13 2020 - 8:05 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
It also helps build reputation
Like antdrew and how he’s been here for 2 years but probably has the highest reputation point of all of us.
We don’t talk about that

#60 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted October 17 2020 - 3:56 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Another mini-update:

They eat so much less than before - if I put in any insects or seeds, only one or two ants come and eat, except for crickets, which they love and I don't see any larvae or eggs, so that must be why. There are always tons and tons of ants (250ish) above the nest for some reason, I guess they don't have any babies to take care of. Instead, they've taken to drinking the barrier :unknown:

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users