• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dry_Twig's Solenopsis sp. Journal

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 13 2020 - 10:51 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

This is more than likely Solenopsis xyloni.

I second this. xyloni is prevalent in the southwestern U.S.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#22 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 13 2020 - 12:34 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Probably over 200. Looks like there are a couple larvae as well.

Ooops. that's weird. It seems as though the post switched tabs. :facepalm:

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#23 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 13 2020 - 4:30 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Oh ok, I was a bit confused. Also, I just saw a group of workers in the outworld killing their OWN major. It was a newly enclosed callow and I scared them off with some tweezers. They stopped but I feel like I should address the root of the problem. Does anyone know why my ants would do this?

My ants: One small(0 worker) Solenopsis xyloni colony- Queen Colony died  :*( 

Link: https://www.formiculture.com/topic/14139-dry-twigs-solenopsis-sp-journal/

Spoiler

#24 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 13 2020 - 5:21 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Oh ok, I was a bit confused. Also, I just saw a group of workers in the outworld killing their OWN major. It was a newly enclosed callow and I scared them off with some tweezers. They stopped but I feel like I should address the root of the problem. Does anyone know why my ants would do this?

My Pheidole did this to their first major. Try feeding them more protein.

• Dry_Twig likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#25 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 13 2020 - 6:30 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Ok, will do. Thanks!

Spoiler

#26 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 18 2020 - 2:11 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Okay, so now they have at LEAST doubled in size since the last update and now they're storing brood in the outworld permanently, so they need an upgrade in terms of nest size. I have a spare ten gallon aquarium, which I plan on using with a lid and some fluon. Does anyone know what dirt is the best for them and how I should get it? I may just go into the area I found them and take some, but I'd rather not. I have the same kind in my backyard, but it might have chemicals. I'm thinking of some sort of a dry, desert-y landscape with some plants. 

Pictures of the outworld and brood:

broodInOutworld2
broodInOutworld1

• AntsDakota likes this

Spoiler

#27 Offline M_Ants - Posted September 18 2020 - 2:18 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

You need a clay/sand mix. I don't remember the ratio. I'm sure someone else will.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#28 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 18 2020 - 9:18 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

You need a clay/sand mix. I don't remember the ratio. I'm sure someone else will.

How would I obtain the clay/sand for this mix? I have a small feeling it's not going to the craft store and buying molding clay...  :/   I live right next to a busy freeway so I think the dirt may be a little contaminated, but I think I can get some from the place I've seen colonies nest in. Would that be worse than mixing my own?

Also, fluon is pretty expensive ($35 for byformica), and my ants never really climb the walls or try to escape, so I'm going to not buy any and use olive oil instead. Hopefully, I don't regret this...

Spoiler

#29 Offline M_Ants - Posted September 18 2020 - 9:33 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I got some from Ants World USA for way cheaper (but less).

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#30 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 21 2020 - 12:48 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

I think they're around 150 workers or more now, which is insane for me since I guess I had underestimated the power of Solenopsis  :D (All from ONE queen and in only around 3 months!) Today they built a small 'nest' out of trash and are storing more brood in the outworld, so I'm going to be speeding up the move and will probably do it tomorrow. 

I'm going to be posting updates related to their new home on this topic for now: https://www.formicul...loni-terrarium/

Spoiler

#31 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 24 2020 - 3:52 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

They moved today, so here are some pictures of the queen, I probably won't ever see her again  :( Tunnel visibility is pretty terrible, but hopefully foraging will be fun to watch. 

Phone pictures, so low quality:

queenMoving1
queenMoving2
queenMoving3

• Kaelwizard, AntsDakota, Ants_Dakota and 2 others like this

Spoiler

#32 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 25 2020 - 8:14 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

bye, queen!

• Devi likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#33 Offline Devi - Posted September 25 2020 - 9:31 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

As long as you saw her move into the nest, she should be fine. :D

#34 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 25 2020 - 11:05 AM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Just a random video I took with my phone:

hyperlapseDigging
Edit: Well, I guess the formiculture gallery doesn't work with videos, here's a link instead: https://www.formicul...63_11265579.mp4

Edited by Dry_Twig, September 25 2020 - 11:11 AM.

Spoiler

#35 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 29 2020 - 7:52 AM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Seems like they're going through a somewhat large die-off, the nests they dug earlier are mostly empty, but that's also because I moved the heat pad and they have at least 25 ants in the trash pile. Not sure why this is happening or if its normal, but it could be a chemical in the dirt. Still, foraging is pretty strong with at least 30 ants out at all times.

Picture of trash pile:

deadPile
Also, at least 30 workers have died of condensation , so some help with that would be appreciated.

Edited by Dry_Twig, September 29 2020 - 11:46 AM.

Spoiler

#36 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 30 2020 - 10:29 AM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Today the pile was even bigger and I noticed that sometimes ants will climb up to the top and just sit there. If I move them to the ground, they just stick their gaster into the air and stop moving, so I think the thing that's killing them is definitely a chemical in the dirt that's also making them act wierd. I'll put the mini-hearth back in for them to use if they want. I fixed the condensation, but I still need help with the weird behavior from some of the workers and the die-off.

Spoiler

#37 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 30 2020 - 10:33 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Today the pile was even bigger and I noticed that sometimes ants will climb up to the top and just sit there. If I move them to the ground, they just stick their gaster into the air and stop moving, so I think the thing that's killing them is definitely a chemical in the dirt that's also making them act wierd. I'll put the mini-hearth back in for them to use if they want. I fixed the condensation, but I still need help with the weird behavior from some of the workers and the die-off.

that is too bad. it might be something different, though. i have had ants die for weird reasons. Maybe they are just loosing workers naturally?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#38 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 30 2020 - 3:24 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

that is too bad. it might be something different, though. i have had ants die for weird reasons. Maybe they are just loosing workers naturally?

I suppose that could be it, but the colony has only had workers for ~two months and I think the lifespan for them should be longer than that, but I'm not sure. They still have tons of workers, so the ~40 workers in the trash doesn't make much of a dent on activity. Maybe I'm just overreacting, but I would just feel terrible if I killed them with the dirt  :(

Spoiler

#39 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted October 2 2020 - 6:03 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Die-off has mostly stopped, I think it was that the sugar water I gave them went rotten or it was that termite from the wild. Anyways, I'll update tomorrow or the day after, but my camera broke for the SECOND time (same problem as well) so no good pictures anymore. :(

Spoiler

#40 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 3 2020 - 4:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
25 dead ants in a fast growing species isn’t too big of a deal. Sugar water won’t go rotten. Yeasts will ferment it into alcohol, which is something any sugar eating animal is going to encounter all the time in nature. Some insects, such as fruit flies, even seek it out.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users