• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Jonesing for Pheidole

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 2 2015 - 3:17 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Can anyone point me to a thread discussing maximizing my probability to acquire this species this season?  I'm in SoCal.  They don't seem to be residing very close to me, but I could undertake a weekend camping trip to southeast San Diego or whatever is required.  Drew, I know you have them, is that where you got them?

I should clarify, my ideal is to catch a flight, foundry queen or very young colony.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 2 2015 - 4:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Pheidole are all over the place. I would be willing to bet there are quite a few colonies of them within a mile of wherever you are.

The best place to find them is in the hills or in the desert. Go to any of those places and turn a black light on at night, all throughout the summer, and you will probably eventually end up with a Pheidole queen. I just got two small ones the other night on my black light while up in the hills of the Santa Ana Mountains.

#3 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 2 2015 - 5:20 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I found my Pheidole moerens the other day, in a small piece of wood. They aren't native, but are very common. You probably have some near where you are, except just haven't noticed them. They even live near Argentine ants.  Very common in Orange County at least. I found them by a motel, in an urban area. I've seen them in Costa Mesa too where Drew is...all over.

Small colonies, tiny ants, rather timid and rarely nest in soil. Not likely to be invasive at all, and they don't even attack other ants from what I've seen. But, unless you are actually looking for them...they can be easy to just glance over until you know what they look like and expect. Finding the colony can be a bit hard, but now that I know they only rarely nest in soil...I'll probably find more. :P

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted May 2 2015 - 5:59 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I found mine in Chino Hills in a gopher mound, so they're around. Haven't seen any (that I know of) in the SGV yet though. I do plan on exploring the mountains next week though where I imagine they would be.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 2 2015 - 6:33 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

they are not common in Burbank u near as I can tell. I've lived here 15 years and don't believe I've come across them. Argies and Pogonomyrmex are common here. I have come across a species recently that I have not seen in a while. I think they're just monomorium. I'll check the bases of trees around here as I read some sp of them like that.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users