• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

San Diego Camponotus festinatus group ID

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Offline M_Ants - Posted July 31 2020 - 4:10 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I might be able to get microscope pics.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#22 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 1 2020 - 5:28 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Since it seems as if you may have access to a microscope I would very strongly suggest that you get a hold of a copy of the recent revision of the Camponotus festinatus group and learn a bit of ant taxonomy. Even without a scope there is a good bit of useful information in it that would be helpful.

Edited by gcsnelling, August 1 2020 - 5:29 AM.

#23 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted August 3 2020 - 7:41 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
In terms of distribution I was going off of this reference from AntWiki:

Westernmost records of C. festinatus are from central Arizona: Maricopa Co. (Mazatzal Mts.), Pinal Co. (Queen Creek Canyon) and Yavapai Co. (Lynx Lake).

Assuming this description (2006) still holds true I think it is either C. fragilis or C. absquatulator. The former is more often collected in SoCal so that would be my guess but you would have to get up close pictures of the head, clear enough to count hairs to get a solid ID.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#24 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 3 2020 - 8:30 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

https://pdfs.semanti...2819f8693c0.pdf

Above is a key used to identify the differences between festinatus, absquatulator, and fragilis. It points out that "Separation of C. festinatus and C. fragilis is no easy matter as the two are distressingly similar in virtually every feature." However, C. festinatus are definitely larger than both fragilis and absquatulator. You can determine whether it's fragilis or absquatulator by getting closeup or perhaps microscope pictures of the area in-between the antennal scapes. 

#25 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted August 3 2020 - 12:34 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
This is Fragilis. Festinatus is not in CA

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#26 Offline M_Ants - Posted August 4 2020 - 7:44 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

It has an egg!

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#27 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 4 2020 - 9:25 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

In terms of distribution I was going off of this reference from AntWiki:

Westernmost records of C. festinatus are from central Arizona: Maricopa Co. (Mazatzal Mts.), Pinal Co. (Queen Creek Canyon) and Yavapai Co. (Lynx Lake).

Assuming this description (2006) still holds true I think it is either C. fragilis or C. absquatulator. The former is more often collected in SoCal so that would be my guess but you would have to get up close pictures of the head, clear enough to count hairs to get a solid ID.

I read a lot about these a few years ago, and I can't remember if C. fragilis was more common or not, but it would certainly seem so since that always seems to be the assumed ID. From what I remember, the only way to tell the different between C. fragilis and C. absquatulator was to examine their hairs under a microscope.

#28 Offline M_Ants - Posted August 5 2020 - 8:23 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Would a male work? Don't want to kill a queen to get an id.

Edited by M_Ants, August 5 2020 - 8:23 PM.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#29 Offline M_Ants - Posted August 9 2020 - 4:03 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Got even more eggs. One queens gaster got fatter and it looks even more like a fraggle. 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#30 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 9 2020 - 4:54 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Would a male work? Don't want to kill a queen to get an id.

Not likely

#31 Offline M_Ants - Posted August 15 2020 - 8:18 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Here are pics of a worker. Can't say for sure this actually is the same species as the queen but I'm pretty sure. I even caught another queen right after catching the worker. 

Let me know if these are good enough for an Id.

IMG 1158
IMG 1141
IMG 1150
IMG 1155
IMG 1121

Edited by M_Ants, August 15 2020 - 8:19 AM.

• FSTP likes this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#32 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted August 15 2020 - 9:15 AM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
If these are indeed the same species, the workers are C. fragilis due to the hairs shown between the antennae. Absquatulator have no such hairs between the antennae, thus making that the sole difference between C. fragilis and C. absquatulator. Now, if you could get the same angle of pictures with your queen, we could ID her for sure.

:>

#33 Offline M_Ants - Posted August 15 2020 - 9:18 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

How would I do that without killing her? 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#34 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted August 15 2020 - 9:37 AM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
I mean, you don’t necessarily have to take a picture, just key it yourself. It’ll take patience :)

:>

#35 Offline M_Ants - Posted August 15 2020 - 9:44 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I think I got a pic...

Also I think she has a mite on her. Is it bad?

IMG 1217
IMG 1203
IMG 1225
IMG 1241
IMG 1204
IMG 1200
IMG 1224

Edited by M_Ants, August 15 2020 - 10:08 AM.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#36 Offline M_Ants - Posted August 15 2020 - 10:09 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

You can see the mite in the second pic.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#37 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 15 2020 - 10:21 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Those are ocelli not mites. They're secondary eyes for the ants. I assume they help the queens for flight. I wouldn't ID by the queen, since I'm not sure if the gynes are on the ID key. The best way to ID is to wait for minor workers.

#38 Offline M_Ants - Posted August 15 2020 - 10:23 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I think their is a mite on the ocelli. 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#39 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted August 15 2020 - 1:32 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

If these are indeed the same species, the workers are C. fragilis due to the hairs shown between the antennae. Absquatulator have no such hairs between the antennae, thus making that the sole difference between C. fragilis and C. absquatulator. Now, if you could get the same angle of pictures with your queen, we could ID her for sure.

Both C. fragilis and C. absquatulator have hair between their antennae/eyes. The difference is that sometimes fragilis has short, often flat setae between the antennae/eyes, while absquatulator does not.

That being said, the photos taken don't show the region of the face we need to see in order to differentiate the two using the "hair between antennae" strategy. One specimen on the fragilis antweb page doesn't show these small setae, so we cannot even be sure that it's a way to differentiate.

If anyone can explain why I could be wrong or how to tell the two apart using hair between antennae, please do.

The C. fragilis antwiki says that fragilis is discerned from absquatulator by: "...erect setae present along entire head margin; minor workers with at least a few setae along head margins". 

This is what I have used to identify specimens of fragilis from absquatulator, and from what I've seen it's the only viable way to do so. C. absquatulator also tends to have longer hair on its face from profile view (which matches with this specimen).

I cannot see hair along the sides of the head, which would indicate absquatulator, but the photos are also taken at an awkward angle for seeing these hairs. I would encourage the original poster of this thread to take a straight on head view photo of specimens.

Edited by AnthonyP163, August 15 2020 - 1:33 PM.

• CheetoLord02 and Robert like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#40 Offline M_Ants - Posted August 15 2020 - 6:01 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Both C. fragilis and C. absquatulator have hair between their antennae/eyes. The difference is that sometimes fragilis has short, often flat setae between the antennae/eyes, while absquatulator does not.

That being said, the photos taken don't show the region of the face we need to see in order to differentiate the two using the "hair between antennae" strategy. One specimen on the fragilis antweb page doesn't show these small setae, so we cannot even be sure that it's a way to differentiate.

If anyone can explain why I could be wrong or how to tell the two apart using hair between antennae, please do.

The C. fragilis antwiki says that fragilis is discerned from absquatulator by: "...erect setae present along entire head margin; minor workers with at least a few setae along head margins". 

This is what I have used to identify specimens of fragilis from absquatulator, and from what I've seen it's the only viable way to do so. C. absquatulator also tends to have longer hair on its face from profile view (which matches with this specimen).

I cannot see hair along the sides of the head, which would indicate absquatulator, but the photos are also taken at an awkward angle for seeing these hairs. I would encourage the original poster of this thread to take a straight on head view photo of specimens.

Kind of tricky with a live queen but I'll try...I can definitely get a better one of the worker though.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users