• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Liometopum occidentale Journal [38] (Discontinued)

Liometopum occidentale Dspdrew journal

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#81 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 10 2016 - 6:27 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-10-2016

The large colony continues to get larger and larger, and I now want to get them out of this wood box and into one of my regular formicariums. I decided not to make the 10 gallon "wood box" for them. I still had another unfinished prototype, so I quickly finished it up and got it in working condition. Now I'm just trying to flood the ants out of the wood box they're currently living in. This is a very slow process, but what I'm afraid of, is the ants getting stuck in an area they can't get out of. When I built this box, I only made one hole in the top Hydrostone layer, so they need to head for that hole, or else there's going to be a problem.

#82 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 10 2016 - 8:47 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Flooding response behavior varies considerably among ant species, making it very effective for some, and potentially dangerous for others.

I remember flooding a particular species once, and they became petrified until the water was virtually touching them. I ended up having to break the nest open, as neither heat nor cold nor light nor flooding would get them to budge.

Edited by drtrmiller, March 10 2016 - 8:51 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#83 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 10 2016 - 9:02 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

These ants live mostly around creeks, so I think they handle the water okay.

#84 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 12 2016 - 9:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 3-12-2016

I finally got the large colony out of the "wood box" and into one of my prototype formicariums. I did a rough count on them, and there appears to be about 600 workers.

med_gallery_2_39_142726.jpg

med_gallery_2_39_241229.jpg

med_gallery_2_39_500283.jpg

med_gallery_2_39_58284.jpg

med_gallery_2_39_142120.jpg

The smaller colony has been put in the "wood box" in hopes they might do a little better than they've been doing in the test tube. They have about 50 workers now.
  • Gregory2455 and VoidElecent like this

#85 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 31 2016 - 6:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-31-2016

Last week the queen in my smaller colony died shortly after moving them into the "wood box".

#86 Offline yen_saw - Posted March 31 2016 - 1:32 PM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHouston

Do you know why workers placed larvae on the vertical wall instead of leaving on the flat surface?

#87 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 31 2016 - 2:11 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm not exactly sure. Ants do this all the time. In formicariums, test tubes, where ever they are, they seem to love doing that.

#88 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 22 2016 - 1:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 4-22-2016

This colony is continuing to grow pretty fast. They even starting to produce full-sized workers now. There's probably about seven or eight of them at this point. They seem to be liking their new nest too. They're certainly filling it up quick.

In all these pictures you can see one of the full-sized workers. They are about twice the  length of the nanitics.

med_gallery_2_39_494019.jpg

med_gallery_2_39_312745.jpg

med_gallery_2_39_99368.jpg

med_gallery_2_39_244553.jpg

#89 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 22 2016 - 4:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Do you know why workers placed larvae on the vertical wall instead of leaving on the flat surface?

Heat exchange is greatest and it is drier along the sidewall. Also they may not like the material of the nest.

Most species of ants place pupae (including 4th instar larvae) in the drier, warmer parts of the nest, which is exactly what you see in the photo.

Edited by dspdrew, June 20 2020 - 12:59 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#90 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 14 2016 - 8:25 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-14-2016

Since the ants got past the Fluon ledge, and were all over the mesh top, a lot of time passed before I got around to feeding them. I did manage to drop plenty insects in there, but I didn't realize that the feeder had run dry and had been empty for some time. The ants went for quite a while without any sweet liquids, and eventually started dying.

At first I started noticing that the ants weren't running all over the place all the time like usual. The queen wasn't laying anymore eggs, and I was starting to see a lot of dead workers laying all over the inside of the nest and in the out world. The ants made no attempt to clean them up or move them to the trash. They really weren't doing anything at all, just sitting there not moving. They were alive, but just standing still all the time. Once I finally realized they were starving to death, I gave them a whole bunch of liquid food, and the whole colony filled up on it. Now they are all running around again, and they have cleaned everything up. The queen has even laid more eggs. I think the ants were just completely out of energy, and barely had enough to stay alive, so they didn't want to move. It was an interesting lesson.

I did a rough count, and the colony is down around 700 workers now.

#91 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 15 2016 - 10:30 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Drew, I'd love to be successful with my L.O. queens.  Unfortunately, one of them is insane and laying eggs haphazardly all over, so extremely unlikely that she makes it.  But for the other, two questions for you:

1. Did you feed your queens before nanitics?
  2. I can expand my $3 tower infinitely, but do you think the wood box (more natural) environment was a key factor in getting the colony to a greater success level and should I seek to provide a more natural environment, specifically involving wood?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#92 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 15 2016 - 10:53 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Unfortunately, one of them is insane and laying eggs haphazardly all over, so extremely unlikely that she makes it.  

That's a very common abnormality with new queens.  My own observations of the behavior mostly involve Solenopsis invicta. Regardless of the species, however, queens who do not organize their eggs or brood in a neat pile are generally unfit and do not live very long.

• PTAntFan likes this

#93 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 15 2016 - 5:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
  1. I can expand my $3 tower infinitely, but do you think the wood box (more natural) environment was a key factor in getting the colony to a greater success level and should I seek to provide a more natural environment, specifically involving wood?

I really don't know, to be honest. I only had one colony in wood, so the only thing I know for sure is it didn't hurt them. Their success might have been the nest they were in, or that could have just been a coincidence.

Regardless of the species, however, queens who do not organize their eggs or brood in a neat pile are generally unfit and do not live very long.

Haha, I've noticed the same thing

#94 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 4 2016 - 12:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-4-2016

Ever since I accidentally starved this colony, the queen had been laying very few eggs, and then today I found her dead. I have three new colonies, so hopefully one of these can take my large colony's place.

I put the colony with the most workers into one of my new founding formicariums.

#95 Offline PTAntFan - Posted July 4 2016 - 2:33 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Bummer! My young queen is a laying machine. Only problem is I'm about to jump on a plane for 10 days vacation and she's got about a dozen about to eclose. Oh well, I hope they make use of the limited resources I left.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#96 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 9 2016 - 10:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-9-2016

I just found the queen in my big colony dead.

I have three new colonies, but who knows if they are going to produce like my big one did.

#97 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 28 2016 - 12:32 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-28-2016

Well I just had another whole colony suddenly die off completely for no apparent reason. This has happened quite a few times in the past. I'm down to one tiny colony now. I put this colony in one of my "dirt boxes". They already dug themselves a little nest, and seem to be doing okay.

#98 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 11 2016 - 9:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The ant hamster wheel.

• LC3 and Canadian anter like this

#99 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 11 2016 - 9:36 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Makes me smile
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#100 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 13 2016 - 5:04 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

So when this happens, do/(should??) you  interrupt the race or take favorites and speculate who'll win?

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Liometopum occidentale, Dspdrew, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users