• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Trap Jaw Sp. Journal

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:00 PM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

Hi y'all.
In this journal I will be documenting my Odontomachus similimus colony :lol: . I haven't seen any Trap Jaw journals in FC.This colony was caught as a colony with just 1 worker and they stilll just have one. They are a tough Sp. to grow from a single queen(plenty of exp.). They are living in a tubs and tubes. I feed them termites and roaches.They do have a pretty large pile of eggs but the eggs never seem to develop. I think they must be eating the eggs, these ants do practice cannibalism. :ugone2far: 
Pic-

20201117 140307

Edited by DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL, December 1 2020 - 9:00 PM.

• Swirlysnowflake and Miketheawesome like this

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:02 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Oooooo. I love trap jaws. So excited!!!!!!!!!

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#3 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:08 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Oh nice! Odontos are a really nice genus. there's only a super isloated odonto population in cali tho  :ugone2far:

#4 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:09 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

There’s odonto’s here!?

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:15 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

There’s odonto’s here!?

Sorta. They're very isolated, near the AZ border.
  • Swirlysnowflake likes this

#6 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:15 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

There’s odonto’s here!?

They are in Arizona, so there are probably small populations right next to and around the border between the two states (CA and AZ). However, I don't think they are spread throughout CA, nor considered fully native here. I may be wrong, however. :)

My YouTube channel :)

#7 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:15 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Hi y'all.
In this journal I will be documenting my Odontomachus similimus colony :lol: . I haven't seen any Trap Jaw journals in FC.This colony was caught as a colony with just 1 worker and they stilll just have one. They are a tough Sp. to grow from a single queen(plenty of exp.). They are living in a tubs and tubes. I feed them termites and roaches.They do have a pretty large pile of eggs but the eggs never seem to develop. I think they must be eating the eggs, these ants do practice cannibalism. :ugone2far: 
Pic-

"Haven't seen any trapjaw journals on FC".... am I a joke to you?

Seriously though, they look great. To get them to stop eating their eggs it is SUPER important that you feed daily. They are used to taking in one or two small prey items each day, so you want to mimic that in captivity with small, daily feedings, rather than large, infrequent feedings.

• TennesseeAnts, Ants_Dakota, Swirlysnowflake and 1 other like this

#8 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:21 PM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

Hi y'all.
Pic-

"Haven't seen any trapjaw journals on FC".... am I a joke to you?

Seriously though, they look great. To get them to stop eating their eggs it is SUPER important that you feed daily. They are used to taking in one or two small prey items each day, so you want to mimic that in captivity with small, daily feedings, rather than large, infrequent feedings.

Sorry, Didn't notice yours.I will try but they don't seem to accept the majority of the food I give them.They accept small prey only And that too only sometimes.

Edited by DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL, December 1 2020 - 9:22 PM.

#9 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:24 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

There’s odonto’s here!?

Yes, I wouldn't go out and catch them tho. Grow the population.  :D

#10 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:48 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

There’s odonto’s here!?

Yes, I wouldn't go out and catch them tho. Grow the population.  :D

They've had a couple decades to grow out, if they're well suited for cali, their population would be large by now

#11 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 1 2020 - 10:22 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Idk. I’m going to get some odontos even if I die trying

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Currently Keeping:

#12 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted December 1 2020 - 10:26 PM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

But be careful keeping them they have a very delicate diet and they're really tough to get through the founding stage in captivity(at least the sps. here are).

#13 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 2 2020 - 7:39 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Idk. I’m going to get some odontos even if I die trying

I'm gonna just try and get a permit, then get them in from Florida :)

• TennesseeAnts likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#14 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 2 2020 - 2:18 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

It's probably just me, but I'd rather have Anochetus than Odontomachus. I like small species.

#15 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 2 2020 - 7:46 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It's probably just me, but I'd rather have Anochetus than Odontomachus. I like small species.

Anochetus are obscure no matter where you go though. At least odontos are easy to find.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#16 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted December 2 2020 - 7:54 PM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

Yes,though there are supposed to be much more species of anochetus than odonto in my area, but they are really tough to spot. And I can find trap jaw queens all around the year.

#17 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted December 2 2020 - 8:02 PM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

UPDATE#1
I moved my ants into a naturalistic setup.I have kept one colonies of trap jaw's in the past.This colony was kept in a terrarium and they did well.So I moved this colony too into a naturalistic setup. Just a container full of coco peat. They moved  into a cavity that I made in the substrate.I can clearly see them as the nest is right near to the edge.And today when I checked up on them I could see a larvae,a tiny one. :yahoo: So I hope its working.I am keeping the substrate really wet and humid.Trap Jaws need humidity.And I fed them a killed spider,too.

Edited by DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL, December 2 2020 - 8:09 PM.

• Ants_Dakota, Swirlysnowflake and TechAnt like this

#18 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 2 2020 - 8:09 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Yeee. Congrats on the larva. So now leave them alone for about two weeks and just check up on them to give them food.

Currently Keeping:

#19 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted December 2 2020 - 8:18 PM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

Yeee. Congrats on the larva. So now leave them alone for about two weeks and just check up on them to give them food.

I have to feed them daily.They have a tight diet.Got to experiment with different types of food too.

#20 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 2 2020 - 8:57 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Aaaa. Ok

Currently Keeping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users