• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why is Monomorium (minimum in specific) so adorable.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 24 2020 - 10:38 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
I was looking on the TarHeel Ants page looking for anything new released (125$ 5 Mini Hearth deal and new Pogomyrmex Occidentalis queens if anybody was wondering). I then saw this little photo of Monomorium Minimum on there, WHY DO I WANT TO CUDDLE EACH WORKER, QUEEN, AND BROOD IN THERE. Send help, can’t stop looking at this photo, strange urge to go anting all over the world to find them.

Attached Images

• F25D53C9-C9EB-4FCF-99B8-881548A39021.jpeg

Edited by TechAnt, July 24 2020 - 10:39 PM.

• VoidElecent and TennesseeAnts like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 25 2020 - 3:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I know, right!
I’ve come across multiple flights of theirs this July. I’m currently founding a three queen grouping.
  • VoidElecent likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 25 2020 - 6:43 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I've been keeping an eye out for these ever since I first found out about them, but haven't seen a single worker, not to mention alates.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 25 2020 - 7:36 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Monomorium are way too common here, and to be frank I feel they're rather dull ants. I can't deny they're fun to watch though. The queens are especially interesting to me.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 25 2020 - 7:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Monomorium are way too common here, and to be frank I feel they're rather dull ants. I can't deny they're fun to watch though. The queens are especially interesting to me.

Always throwing the shade.
  • FSTP likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 25 2020 - 10:01 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Crematogaster are cuter imo

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 25 2020 - 10:49 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Most myrmicines fit into what we think of as cute.

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 25 2020 - 12:18 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I'm not a huge fan of them. They are pretty slow moving, and rather dull as ponerinecat said. Formicinae and Ambloponinae are my favorites, not much of a Myrmicine fan, except for Crematogaster and Manica.

While they may not be my favorites, they are very fascinating. Here, in argentine territory, the areas they occupy are havens for natives, or less pushy non-natives. The main reason for this is that argentines never dare to mess with them, at least large colonies. Near Santa Barbara, small colonies are frequently harassed by larger argentine colonies.

Edited by NickAnter, July 25 2020 - 12:18 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#9 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 25 2020 - 1:59 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I think they are pretty cute. 

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#10 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 25 2020 - 2:20 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Tiny Myrmicinae are the best.
  • Antkid12 likes this

#11 Offline FSTP - Posted July 25 2020 - 3:35 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

its the gaster shape that makes them adorable. 

#12 Offline cewtsoul - Posted July 25 2020 - 4:22 PM

cewtsoul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

They are fun and can be aggressive in large numbers. i have a colony with 8 queens now...trying to find a nice formicarium for them with outworld at the top and smaller tunnels to closer to their size. Anyone have any ideas?

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 25 2020 - 4:27 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Tetramorium aren’t that cute, neither are Pogonomyrmex or Solenopsis invicta/geminata, just to name a few. They all look stocky, aggressive, and something you don’t want to mess with, which is true for all of them.
  • FSTP likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#14 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 25 2020 - 5:39 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The great thing about Monorium minimum/ergatogyna is they win 99% of their fights against Argentine ants. And their colonies "can" get huge, so they can drop the Argentine ant population a lot in an area. Some areas they even completely drive them out. They don't do much against Solenopsis invicta though, but seen S. invicta bodies piled up around their nests. They always disappear every winter though, no matter what area they are in or how warm winter is. If they were active year round, they'd probably be the #1 best native species in California to fight off Argentine ants.

#15 Offline FSTP - Posted July 25 2020 - 6:00 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Tetramorium aren’t that cute, neither are Pogonomyrmex or Solenopsis invicta/geminata, just to name a few. They all look stocky, aggressive, and something you don’t want to mess with, which is true for all of them.

I disagree Pogonomyrmex have those huge cute bobble heads.

#16 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 26 2020 - 7:48 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I disagree Pogonomyrmex have those huge cute bobble heads.
I was thinking the same thing.

#17 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted July 28 2020 - 12:56 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

The great thing about Monorium minimum/ergatogyna is they win 99% of their fights against Argentine ants. And their colonies "can" get huge, so they can drop the Argentine ant population a lot in an area. Some areas they even completely drive them out. They don't do much against Solenopsis invicta though, but seen S. invicta bodies piled up around their nests. They always disappear every winter though, no matter what area they are in or how warm winter is. If they were active year round, they'd probably be the #1 best native species in California to fight off Argentine ants.

So like, a one-two punch of Monomorium for warm months and Prenolepis for cool months would be the best anti-Argentine defense, is this what you're suggesting? lol

(Now if only I could attract massive colonies of Prenos and Monos to the yard....)

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, July 28 2020 - 12:57 PM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 28 2020 - 3:03 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

To answer the topic's question, I think M. minimum's small size, round, rolly-polly look and their glossy exoskeletons are what make them so cute.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users