• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I have no idea what this species is now? Jasper, Indiana - 7/5/2020

Best Answer Aaron567 , July 5 2020 - 5:37 PM

If she's that small then I'd say it's Temnothorax pergandei, a species that is somewhat known for looking very unusual compared to other continental North American Temnothorax. They really do look like miniature Aphaenogaster queens.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 5 2020 - 4:24 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
1. Location (on a map) of collection: Jasper, Indiana, U.S.
2. Date of collection: 7/5/2020 (sorry, had 7/4/2020, meant 7/5/2020)
3. Habitat of collection: Collected near a forest while running across a stone
4. Length (from head to gaster): 4.5 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Dull Black on all surfaces
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Looks like a miniature Tetramorium queen
7. Distinguishing behavior: None
8. Nest description: None
9. Nuptial flight time and date: Found tonight around 8:00 P.M. (Temp. was 88 D. Fahrenheit, Humidity was 57%)

I’m pretty sure it’s M. americana (It’s not), but I would like clarification. I’ve never really attempted to raise these queens before, so if anybody knows what to do please share (or I can just look through past journals of other people). Here’s some pictures (I can get better lighting tomorrow morning if need be):

For size comparison, she’s the same size as my Temnothorax curvispinosus queens.

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 5 2020 - 5:33 PM.

Spoiler

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 5 2020 - 4:31 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Aphaenogaster. Way too bulky to be Myrmecina. I have seen plenty of these queens in colonies that I have found.

#3 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 5 2020 - 4:40 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Aphaenogaster. Way too bulky to be Myrmecina. I have seen plenty of these queens in colonies that I have found.

What species though? We don’t have any Aphaenogaster sp. this small around here (or so I thought). I just caught an Aphenogaster fulva queen a few days ago and she was twice the size of this queen. Now I’m confused :lol:

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 5 2020 - 4:48 PM.

Spoiler

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 5 2020 - 4:50 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Looks like A. picea.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 5 2020 - 4:54 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Looks like A. picea.

Seems about right. I never know which species to look for because Antweb’s page for Indiana is really incomplete.

EDIT: Nevermind, it’s not A. picea. My queen is only 4.5 mm, and this species is around 7 mm, which I don’t know of any Aphaenogaster species that have a queen of that size.

SIZE COMPARISON: She’s the same size as my Temnothorax curvispinosus queens.

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 5 2020 - 4:58 PM.

Spoiler

#6 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 5 2020 - 5:37 PM   Best Answer

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

If she's that small then I'd say it's Temnothorax pergandei, a species that is somewhat known for looking very unusual compared to other continental North American Temnothorax. They really do look like miniature Aphaenogaster queens.

• AnthonyP163, Somethinghmm and Antkid12 like this

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 6 2020 - 5:22 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Interesting species.

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 6 2020 - 8:30 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Looks like this species nests in soil as well. Aren't most Temnothorax attracted to twigs, logs, and nuts? I know pergandei is as well, but I just haven't heard of other Temnothorax nesting in soil commonly.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 6 2020 - 11:37 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Looks like this species nests in soil as well. Aren't most Temnothorax attracted to twigs, logs, and nuts? I know pergandei is as well, but I just haven't heard of other Temnothorax nesting in soil commonly.

It’s not exactly that they would dig in the soil (that I know of), but can find small cavities present within the soil as well.
  • AntsDakota likes this

Spoiler

#10 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 6 2020 - 12:28 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

T. pergandei strikes again! Nice catch

• CatsnAnts and ANTdrew like this

#11 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 6 2020 - 12:37 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Temnothorax pergandei for sure. I have 2 colonies of these gals. Really cool ants.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#12 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 6 2020 - 2:43 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

It doesn’t seem like queens of this species are found too often, so I’m pretty excited to say the least!

Temnothorax pergandei for sure. I have 2 colonies of these gals. Really cool ants.

Do you by chance have a journal for them? I didn’t notice them in your collective journal, unless I missed it :facepalm:.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Spoiler

#13 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 6 2020 - 2:44 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

It doesn’t seem like queens of this species are found too often, so I’m pretty excited to say the least!

Do you by chance have a journal for them? I didn’t notice them in your collective journal, unless I missed it :facepalm:.

Yeah, I never added them to my journal.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#14 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 6 2020 - 3:11 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Yeah, I never added them to my journal.

Well then, chop chop!
  • TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users